picture.php

picture.php

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    The story surrounding the Model of 1917 is really an interesting one.

In 1914 Winchester, Remington and Eddystone(...actually The Baldwin Locomotive Works) were contracted by the British to build a new Enfield designed rifle to replace their Lee-Enfield No 1 Mark III rifles. But before they could get the replacements in full production, Great Britain found themselves in the middle of WWI. So they abandoned the plan and continued with the older Lee-Enfield rifles. A couple of years later, the US got dragged into the war. They were hopelessly short of the Model of 1903 and found the Springfield Armory short on the capacity to make the rifles in any quantity. So they approached the aforementioned private companies and asked that they tool up and begin making 1903 rifles. All three companies said it would take a year or two to tool up to make the 1903; BUT, they could simply convert the tooling for the pattern 14 rifle from the British .303 chambering to the US .30-06 and they could be at full production capacity in less than a year. That is how the Model of 1917 rifle was born. Although it was much maligned by the dough boys as "that damn British rifle", in my humble opinion, the 1917 is a much more solid, accurate rifle than is the 1903.

Last May, I rescued an Eddystone made Model of 1917 from the Civilian Marksmanship Program South Store in Anniston, AL. I had to replace a couple small parts to return it to working order. It is a 'real tack driver' at 100 yards. It is the second oldest rifle in my collection.

I discovered later, based on certain cartouches on the stock, that my particular rifle was refurbished during WWII by Guide Lamp Corporation in Anderson, Indiana.

ModelOf1917Montage_zps746b986a.jpg

I am a bit of a history buff, especially as it relates to various antique weapons. I started reading a book on the history of the United States Rifle, Model of 1917 which was the primary rifle of US forces in WWI. I bought it off of EBAY for $23. It is autographed by the author C. S. Ferris and Scott Duff who wrote the forward. I bought the book mostly for novelty(...Scott Duff is one of the the foremost expert on US Military weapons); but, so far it has been a fascinating read.

This fellow seems like a someone I'd like to meet:

"Fred Herbert Colvin (1867-1965) was an American machinist, technical journalist, author, and editor. He wrote, co-wrote, edited, or co-edited many periodical articles, handbooks, and textbooks related to engineering, machining, and manufacturing. His autobiography, Sixty Years with Men and Machines, provides a thorough and colloquial look into the decades of 1880 to 1950, giving insight into the culture of the Machine Age." -- quoted from Wikipedia

His story begins at Springfield Armory around 1913. The Secretary of War was concerned that Springfield had not produced nearly enough of the Springfield Model of 1903 rifle. War was brewing in Europe. The US had only 600,000 1903 rifles and 160,000 obsolete Krag rifles. He sent Fred Colvin, a leading expert in machining and manufacture, to Springfield Armory to evaluate their production practices.

In short order, Fred found himself banned from the facility. His response to the Secretary of War is classic:

"If General Crozier issued that order solely because he resented my criticism of the present setup - which, Mr. Secretary I have no need to remind you was made at your own request and addressed to your personal attention - then his action only proves the point I was trying to make, namely, that there is a great need for officers around here who know modern production methods more than they know military regulations. I might point out that unless the general can prove that I am hindering the production of arms or am actively engaging in sabotage. He is acting without authority in issuing such an order, since, like myself he is merely a hired assistant reporting to the Secretary of War." A few days later General Crozier rescinded his order, and Colvin was permitted to visit Springfield Armory again, where he found himself a bit of a celebrity. -- Quoted from 'United States Rifle Model of 1917' by C. S. Ferris

Yes sir, that fella had some sand!

Last edited:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    The story surrounding the Model of 1917 is really an interesting one.

In 1914 Winchester, Remington and Eddystone(...actually The Baldwin Locomotive Works) were contracted by the British to build a new Enfield designed rifle to replace their Lee-Enfield No 1 Mark III rifles. But before they could get the replacements in full production, Great Britain found themselves in the middle of WWI. So they abandoned the plan and continued with the older Lee-Enfield rifles. A couple of years later, the US got dragged into the war. They were hopelessly short of the Model of 1903 and found the Springfield Armory short on the capacity to make the rifles in any quantity. So they approached the aforementioned private companies and asked that they tool up and begin making 1903 rifles. All three companies said it would take a year or two to tool up to make the 1903; BUT, they could simply convert the tooling for the pattern 14 rifle from the British .303 chambering to the US .30-06 and they could be at full production capacity in less than a year. That is how the Model of 1917 rifle was born. Although it was much maligned by the dough boys as "that damn British rifle", in my humble opinion, the 1917 is a much more solid, accurate rifle than is the 1903.

Last May, I rescued an Eddystone made Model of 1917 from the Civilian Marksmanship Program South Store in Anniston, AL. I had to replace a couple small parts to return it to working order. It is a 'real tack driver' at 100 yards. It is the second oldest rifle in my collection.

I discovered later, based on certain cartouches on the stock, that my particular rifle was refurbished during WWII by Guide Lamp Corporation in Anderson, Indiana.

ModelOf1917Montage_zps746b986a.jpg

I am a bit of a history buff, especially as it relates to various antique weapons. I started reading a book on the history of the United States Rifle, Model of 1917 which was the primary rifle of US forces in WWI. I bought it off of EBAY for $23. It is autographed by the author C. S. Ferris and Scott Duff who wrote the forward. I bought the book mostly for novelty(...Scott Duff is one of the the foremost expert on US Military weapons); but, so far it has been a fascinating read.

This fellow seems like a someone I'd like to meet:

"Fred Herbert Colvin (1867-1965) was an American machinist, technical journalist, author, and editor. He wrote, co-wrote, edited, or co-edited many periodical articles, handbooks, and textbooks related to engineering, machining, and manufacturing. His autobiography, Sixty Years with Men and Machines, provides a thorough and colloquial look into the decades of 1880 to 1950, giving insight into the culture of the Machine Age." -- quoted from Wikipedia

His story begins at Springfield Armory around 1913. The Secretary of War was concerned that Springfield had not produced nearly enough of the Springfield Model of 1903 rifle. War was brewing in Europe. The US had only 600,000 1903 rifles and 160,000 obsolete Krag rifles. He sent Fred Colvin, a leading expert in machining and manufacture, to Springfield Armory to evaluate their production practices.

In short order, Fred found himself banned from the facility. His response to the Secretary of War is classic:

"If General Crozier issued that order solely because he resented my criticism of the present setup - which, Mr. Secretary I have no need to remind you was made at your own request and addressed to your personal attention - then his action only proves the point I was trying to make, namely, that there is a great need for officers around here who know modern production methods more than they know military regulations. I might point out that unless the general can prove that I am hindering the production of arms or am actively engaging in sabotage. He is acting without authority in issuing such an order, since, like myself he is merely a hired assistant reporting to the Secretary of War." A few days later General Crozier rescinded his order, and Colvin was permitted to visit Springfield Armory again, where he found himself a bit of a celebrity. -- Quoted from 'United States Rifle Model of 1917' by C. S. Ferris

Yes sir, that fella had some sand!

Good story. Thanks for sharing. I too have a 1917 and love shooting it.

da40b7ac8a620eb2387efdcba7c88ee7.jpg

6da61654b8f68f4ad65de4bea2291f7a.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Rogue Shark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Some very nice looking rifles folks, I must say. I'm currently looking for a a good Enfield in 303/308, once obtained I will be sharing pics aplenty!

Top Bottom