• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am not picking on ya man, in fact you're one of the few folks on INGO that I actually do respect.

But in this particular instance you really put a lot of emphasis on scope over rifle w/regards on where to fiscally cut corners w/regards to long-range shooting.

That I simply cannot agree with.

Granted that used to be the case when only the most expensive scopes were actually clear at long-distances but these days technology has really brought the mid-tier quality scopes up to useable levels.

Repeatability is important no doubt, but even $200 dollar Millet's or Nikon's hold their zero seemingly forever these days.

In fact I'd be hard pressed to say that Leapold will ever see another dollar from me unless I get a really good deal on one or something.

I think we are just on differant pages. The origonal post did not say he was trying to build it for as cheap as possible, nor did he specify exactly what style of long range shooting he was going to do.

w/ limited information its understandable the each person w/ experience in the field will make reccomendations bases on their own personal experience.

I think everyone will agree that a quality scope is neccessary. but there is also a point of diminishing return. to me for what i do, that mark is around 800 bucks. a vortex pst for 800 offers everything i look for and is is one of the cheaper scopes that offer an MOA reticle and front focal plane ability.

i do not have experience w/ every nikon, bushnell out there, but i have had my hands on alof of optics in the 800 dollar plus range and can make reccomendations off of that.

the reason i put more emphesis on scope over rifle is because most out of the box heavy barreled rifles these days are mighty capabable of incredible accuracy. you dont have to spend a TON to get an accurate rifle. but alot of people think they should spend the big bucks on the rifle and skimp on the scope. i have been on the range before w/ someone shooting a 3k dollar rifle w/ a nikon prostaff. how do you think he was when it came time to switch from the 800 yard targets to the 900 yard targets?

w/out more detailed information its hard to make specific reccomendations outside of the types of distance shooting we each do individually.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I think we are just on differant pages. The origonal post did not say he was trying to build it for as cheap as possible, nor did he specify exactly what style of long range shooting he was going to do.

w/ limited information its understandable the each person w/ experience in the field will make reccomendations bases on their own personal experience.

I think everyone will agree that a quality scope is neccessary. but there is also a point of diminishing return. to me for what i do, that mark is around 800 bucks. a vortex pst for 800 offers everything i look for and is is one of the cheaper scopes that offer an MOA reticle and front focal plane ability.

i do not have experience w/ every nikon, bushnell out there, but i have had my hands on alof of optics in the 800 dollar plus range and can make reccomendations off of that.

the reason i put more emphesis on scope over rifle is because most out of the box heavy barreled rifles these days are mighty capabable of incredible accuracy. you dont have to spend a TON to get an accurate rifle. but alot of people think they should spend the big bucks on the rifle and skimp on the scope. i have been on the range before w/ someone shooting a 3k dollar rifle w/ a nikon prostaff. how do you think he was when it came time to switch from the 800 yard targets to the 900 yard targets?

w/out more detailed information its hard to make specific reccomendations outside of the types of distance shooting we each do individually.

Agreed, we might have been just *thinking* along different lines there.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Actually, the OP never mentioned a scope. He merely asked for advice on a good starter gun and caliber.
    He may want to shoot irons.

Well then in that case I have a 1942 Lee-Enfield w/1300 meter iron peep sights I *might* be willing to let go of.

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    Actually, the OP never mentioned a scope. He merely asked for advice on a good starter gun and caliber.
    He may want to shoot irons.

I actually have a Leupold Mark IV 4-14 sitting in a LaRue mount that I plan to put on the rifle. I apologize for being vague in my OP. Being new at long range shooting, I am not overly familiar with the different types of shooting options. This rifle will be for target, and possibly in the future, competition shooting.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I actually have a Leupold Mark IV 4-14 sitting in a LaRue mount that I plan to put on the rifle. I apologize for being vague in my OP. Being new at long range shooting, I am not overly familiar with the different types of shooting options. This rifle will be for target, and possibly in the future, competition shooting.
    Any idea what type of competition?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Personally I'm a Savage fan, so I'd say any heavy barreled savage will get you the accuracy you want/need. Caliber wise, the 308 is a great caliber for a lot of things and the long range shooting is one of them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Meh, almost every semi-respectable optics manufacturer manufactures their glass in high-tech factories these days, granted I am specifically referring to mid-tier brands like Bushnell, Nikon, Swfa, Millet etc, not el'cheapo's like Barska, NcStar, Simmons, BSA, etc.

i know for a fact that 4 out of 5 nikon (buckmasters and 1 monarch) would not track true wich is "required" for long range shooting not "nice) for a hunting scope that your going to use holdovers a nikon is a great chioce, for a scope you plan to dial not its not even a option. tracking is a option you have to pay for if you want to be sucessfull.

optics is not where you want to skimp. the rifle is a much better place to skimp. ive learned this the hard way. i figured it up once and i had 2100 dollars in a nightforce br series scope by the time you figure in that i bought junk and found out it didn't work the way i needed it to then sold it for a loss, upgraded a little, sold it for a loss etc. eventually i bought what i should have bought the first time. if anyone thinks im just trying to make a sale your welcome to check my posts long before i was a optics dealer

skimping on optics always a expensive gamble.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    also its important to keep in mind quality and expensive are to diffrent things. a scope that holds zero may or may not track.

sorry for the multiple post im replying to new points as i read them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thank you for all of your help. After doing some research, I believe I am going to search for a Remington 700 PPS in 308. With all the talk on optics for the platform, do you guys believe the Leupold Mark IV 4-14 will work well?

i believe there are much better optics for much less money.

Gunner52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Out of curiosity, What kind of LRS and where do you plan on practicing and shooting? One other thing is, if you are ever planning on 1000yd stuff, don't shoot yourself in the foot and rule out the 6.5's. Not the x284 as it is a barrel burner, but the 260 rem., 6.5 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmore. They are great cal's. and the latter two can be had commercially and are very accurate. The ballistic coefficient is far higher than 30 cal. and it is still a great hunting round if you need it to be. Plus if you are planning on the "Big K", A .308 drifts almost twice the distance as the 6.5 at similar velocity's. BTW, These can be chambered in a Savage and will shoot .25 min. easily. Not taking anything away from the 700. It is the most accurate rifle I own but cost $2600 and a Savage will do it for half that or less.:)

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    Out of curiosity, What kind of LRS and where do you plan on practicing and shooting? One other thing is, if you are ever planning on 1000yd stuff, don't shoot yourself in the foot and rule out the 6.5's. Not the x284 as it is a barrel burner, but the 260 rem., 6.5 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmore. They are great cal's. and the latter two can be had commercially and are very accurate. The ballistic coefficient is far higher than 30 cal. and it is still a great hunting round if you need it to be. Plus if you are planning on the "Big K", A .308 drifts almost twice the distance as the 6.5 at similar velocity's. BTW, These can be chambered in a Savage and will shoot .25 min. easily. Not taking anything away from the 700. It is the most accurate rifle I own but cost $2600 and a Savage will do it for half that or less.:)

I am mainly looking at this gun to be a target/range/future competition rifle. As for where I will shoot, I plan to do my short distance practice (100 yards) at Atterbury due to its proximity to my home. For longer distances (up to 1000 yards), I will be going to my friends farm (he built a private range) in KY. I am hesitant to choose a caliber that is on the rare side due to cost.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    We (CIHPRS) shoot at 1000 yards regularly at Atterbury on the military side.
    Once you are comfortable with your new rifle you are welcome to join us.

Top Bottom