• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am mainly looking at this gun to be a target/range/future competition rifle. As for where I will shoot, I plan to do my short distance practice (100 yards) at Atterbury due to its proximity to my home. For longer distances (up to 1000 yards), I will be going to my friends farm (he built a private range) in KY. I am hesitant to choose a caliber that is on the rare side due to cost.

i mainly shoot long range with a 260. imo its the best long range caliber out there. eventually if you get really into long range shooting you will get into reloading.

for starters go 308, once you start rolling your own look into the 6.5's

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Da Coach, I have a Browning Abolt in 300 wsm. I too am in the beginning stages of long range shooting. I would be happy to meet with you at a range( I know of a 1000 yard range in Ft. Wayne) and let you try out my current setup. It is more of a hunting rifle that is doing double duty as a long range rifle, but itis and I am accurate out to 600 and is capable of 1000. This spring I hope to have a Savage in 338 Lapua, but that will be detirmined by work. Let me know if you are interested.

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    We (CIHPRS) shoot at 1000 yards regularly at Atterbury on the military side.
    Once you are comfortable with your new rifle you are welcome to join us.

That would be great. Do you happen to have more information about CIHPRS? For instance, are you guys able to use the range for practice at certain times? The drive to KY can get old in a hurry, so it would be nice to find a "longer" range close to home.

Gunner52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    That would be great. Do you happen to have more information about CIHPRS? For instance, are you guys able to use the range for practice at certain times? The drive to KY can get old in a hurry, so it would be nice to find a "longer" range close to home.

Wabash Bass and Bucks has 750yds and they are open to the public anytime. You did not ask me but thought I would let you know.:)

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Check out the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter available in a variety of calibers. It's receiving great reviews from Field and Steam. 7mm is my load of choice but that's more geared towards hunting. A 168gn Berger will reach out to 1k yards very effectively. The 6.5's and 7mm have a lot better ballistic co. and will be more forgiving on a new shooter.

Gunner52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Da Coach, I have a Browning Abolt in 300 wsm. I too am in the beginning stages of long range shooting. I would be happy to meet with you at a range( I know of a 1000 yard range in Ft. Wayne) and let you try out my current setup. It is more of a hunting rifle that is doing double duty as a long range rifle, but itis and I am accurate out to 600 and is capable of 1000. This spring I hope to have a Savage in 338 Lapua, but that will be detirmined by work. Let me know if you are interested.

That is a really nice offer for you to make Shooter. I was thinking of building a 300WSM. I would really like to ask you some questions about it if that would be OK and I hate typing. PM me and I will give you my #. Thanks.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

you cant pratice, but i highly recomend just going and giving it a shot. everyone i met there was more than helpful.

worst case scenerio you lose and learn. doesn't sound to bad to me.

go to
    http://www.cihprs.org/

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood

I would definitely be interested. I really appreciate the offer.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I shot .308 at 1000, and shot the 800-900-1000 PALMA course with the .308. I also built a .260 Remington. Even though the .260 was a little better in the wind than a .308, they both worked you pretty hard as far as wind reading and judgment goes. Litlrat is right about the 6.5 X 284 barrel burner. The extra velocity helps a lot. I built one and I still didn't beat him, but I was closer. I also built a .280 remington (7mm on a 30-06 case) That rifle shot really well and the wind corrections were about the same as a 6.5 X 284, and the barrel looked good and scored good at the same amount of rounds that had gutted my 6.5 X 284. The trade off was I had to use a lot heavier bullets to get that kind of BC. Heavy bullet plus velocity equals a LOT more kick. Nothing is free.

I agree that the original poster should get a .308 bolt action. By the time you really get good at shooting it, the barrel will be gone and you will be able to rebarrel it in something that strikes your fancy at that time. Who knows what technology will change by then?

Savage makes .308 target rifles in several flavors from a varminter that is a lot like the Remington 700 varmint, to longer and heavier barrels up to and including out of the box Palma and "F" class rifles.

Last edited:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Hey Litlratt when is the next 1000 yd match? I would love to come check out one of those. The CIHPRS site looks really messy on my computer.
    I'm pretty sure that we don't have our dates yet for 2012. Watch the shooting sports section here and I'll post them once they are approved by Atterbury.

Top Bottom