• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    What would some of you guys recomend as far as just a target rifle goes. Something you can go to the gun shop and buy, not going to be comepeting so dont need anything real crazy. What caliber? brand?, stuff like that. Thanks

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I guess that would depend on what you consider "long range".

.308 is probably the most widely used caliber, Rem 700's are probably the most widely used platform, with glass my recommendation would be: "the most expensive that you can afford".

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    For up to 500 yards, Rem700 in .223, .243, or .308. An SPS. For optics, a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 or 50mm. Decent quality rings.

You should be able to put together the package for ~$1000 if you shop carefully.

The most important quality for long range precision shooting is tightening the nut behind the trigger.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Pretty much just want this to shoot with my brother, he shoots long range target. And is very good(marine sniper). been wanting to get into it for a while, but so many choices. Just like something that is fairly fun to shoot, one I dont need to take a loan out to buy or to get ammo for. I know this is a wide open question. But all help would be greatly appreciated

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Whats the budget?

so far my vote is a savage model 12 fv in .223

+1

If you're shooting just to shoot for the fun of it then I'd recommend the 223 as far as a caliber goes because the match ammo for it is going to cost half of what you'd spend on 308 match ammo.

As far as brand of gun, savage all the way. I am completely biased and will gladly admit it, but I'd buy a heavy barreled savage 223 in whatever configuration you'd like. The 12FV that was recommended would be an excellent choice and should get you well past 500 yards if you ever wanted to.

FYI, I've owned a couple savage 223's and I never had one that didn't like the sierra 69gr matchking.

As far as scopes go. The bushnell 3200 10X is an outstanding scope and should be plenty for shooting out to 500 yards. They are on sale at Midway right now for $151. You won't find a better deal than that.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    For the under $500 range with gun and optics, get a Stevens 200 in .223, .243, or .308, then get the Bushnell 3200 mentioned above. Stevens is made by Savage and for inexpensive guns they can't be beat. I have one in .22-250 and my GF has one in .243 and they are both tack-drivers. You can find them for around $300, often with a cheap scope mounted (sell it or give it away).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't think you're going to get the whole package under $500, but maybe $700.

FYI, go to gunbroker and type in "savage 4x4 223". It's basically a 12FV but has a 20" barrel instead of 26". The longer barrel will be better for longer ranges than 500 yards, but the 20" barrel will save a lot of weight and be easier to cart around.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I don't think you're going to get the whole package under $500, but maybe $700.

FYI, go to gunbroker and type in "savage 4x4 223". It's basically a 12FV but has a 20" barrel instead of 26". The longer barrel will be better for longer ranges than 500 yards, but the 20" barrel will save a lot of weight and be easier to cart around.

Agree to disagree on this one. his purpose was just shooting targets, weight is not a concern for a range gun. the longer barrel WILL make the longer shots easier.

also agree though that every savage .223 will stand a good chance of likeing the 69 grainers... i think thats what savage even reccomends in the model 12s.

HogDaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    s indy
    this is a totally personal question. All the replies are right on the money as far as distance, targets, and economic restraints. Bolt or semi auto. A great piece of glass will cost the same if not more that the rifle itself. Listen to the knowledgable people here, but remember everyone has an opinion and the only one that matters is yours in the end. I do feel that people spend good money on a rifle and then skimp on the base and rings and most importantly the glass. It takes all 4 to make a great long range rifle. :ar15:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Agree to disagree on this one. his purpose was just shooting targets, weight is not a concern for a range gun. the longer barrel WILL make the longer shots easier.

Completely agree, I was just throwing out another option for him to consider.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    mosin:dunno: mine is perty kickass at 100 yards with just iron sights i am sure with a decent scope it would do rather well to 500 yards

out of all the rifles in the world the mosin is in my top 10 worst long range rifles.

are you a reloader? the reason i ask is if you are you have alot of options, if not go with the 308.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    No im not a reloader. I would look into anything really. I dont have alot of experiance with a long range rifle. I have been told i should spend most of my budget on a quality scope though( dont know if this is true). But all input is appreciated fellas. You all obveously know more on this topic than I do. And my brother is an ass and wont tell me much as far as rifles go. He just says I have to find one that feel right for me. Dont really know what feels right never had a long range rifle. I guess the best rifle I have is either my savage .22WMR or my SKS Yugo. An I dought either one of those is a 500 yard gun.

Top Bottom