Dearborn Co.
    Springfield%20Armory%20XDM45.JPG

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    No parameters were set so....

If its your first .45 I would suggest a 1911. If you don't have much experience with a 1911 I would suggest getting a basic model like a RIA or Springfield GI and bang with it a while. If you like the platform you can experiment with upgrades on these less expensive models and when you have experienced all the 1911 goodness you will have some experience to choose wisely a more expensive model. If you end up not liking the platform your not out much and you can sell or trade it off on a plastic gun.

If you are not interested in the 1911 route I suggest you get a Kahr PM45 load that puppy up with some hot 230 grain ammo and experience the true power of the .45 ACP :D

PS if your just trying to get to the 50 post count, nice move.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't own a 1911 either, but I do have an EAA Witness, steel frame, "Wonder-Finish".

It is probably the most ergonomically correct (for my hand anyway) firearm I own, and it shoots like a dream.

Do yourself a favor and at least take a look. Maybe it's just me but I'd stay away from the poly-framed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Look at Springfield. They have 1911's, plastic revel model guns, whatever you may like.
    Para-Ordinance has several models in 1911 that are 7+1 single stack to 14+1 hi-cap.
    So many quality pieces available. Shoot a few different ones. See what you like.

Took my own advise yesterday. Stopped in at a LGS I frequent regularly for a dose of abuse from the staff and what do I see in the display case. 3 RIA 1911's in different variants (officers, G.I. and a double stack Hi-Cap) in .45 ACP
    I was considering the double stack as I could get out the door with it for under $500.00. It was obviously not a high end gun but a true 1911 and by all accounts they are good shooters. Then I see the black Springer 1911 A-1.
    Well it is in the safe now.
    There were some nice (I guess) plastic guns priced very fair but the 1911 is my addiction and has to be dealt with so I now have to many and not enough of them. You can get into a very nice .45 ACP if you shop around. Glock, Sig and all the others mentioned by these folks posted before me. Taurus makes a great plastic piece in the 24/7 tactical. I have one and it is reliable, rugged and reasonably priced for a plastic 12+1 with a light rail. My favorite plastic gun is my H&K USP. They are spendy but this piece is so very well made and runs perfectly no matter what you feed it.
    My point....Look, shoot, shop and get what makes you happy. If you were close I would let you shoot some of mine but do try a few before you buy something. We all have our favorite for many reasons. Price, ergonomics, capacity, weight, sexy looks, you name it. Put one in your hand and run some rounds through it. JMHO

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    CZ-97b glossy blue.
    FNP-45 competition
    smith 625.
    last 3 .45's I have any interests in. And if FN does the FNS in 9mm with a 5" barrel and the slide set up like the fnp-45 competition. I would lose all interest in the FNP .45 personally.

Snylog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    La Porte
    That's what she said!

go to the local gun shop and hold them all

But anyways, back to the topic. I like the Smith and Wesson M&P. I don't have a huge hand, but it's definitely not small (8.5" from tip of pinky to tip of thumb with hand spread all the way out) and the M&P line just fits like a glove to me :) Just my :twocents:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Another +1 for the Sig P220. Great pistol. The CZ 97B or BD is a good choice too, but they are HEAVY! FNP-45 Tactical is on my short list too. Again HEAVY with a loaded mag. the CZ and the FN I would consider range guns Where the Sig is about the same weight and size as a gov 1911. And Sig also makes Compact and Carry models of the P220 to make it even easier to hide.

Top Bottom