looking for a competition knife after the chop in????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I would think so...it's all physics....extra weight and length would give you more momentum/force, thus more cutting power. This would assume that they had simliar blade edges and the person making the chop used the same effort or force when swinging the knife. I'm sure some one with more knowledge about physics can explain this better than I just did.

it also has largely to do with the browning having a fully flat grind blade where the ESEE is saber ground. I know nothing about momentum/force but I did dtay at a holiday in last night.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I would think so...it's all physics....extra weight and length would give you more momentum/force, thus more cutting power. This would assume that they had simliar blade edges and the person making the chop used the same effort or force when swinging the knife. I'm sure someone with more knowledge about physics can explain this better than I just did.

That's kinda what I was thinking too. Not being very knowledgeable about such things, I didn't know if there was some kind of magical blade profile that could provide better performance.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    That's kinda what I was thinking too. Not being very knowledgeable about such things, I didn't know if there was some kind of magical blade profile that could provide better performance.

see post above yours mr. magoo:D fully flat ground blades offer less resistance over any other type of grind.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    see post above yours mr. magoo:D fully flat ground blades offer less resistance over any other type of grind.

I was slow and your post wasn't there when I started. :cool:

Being a knife idiot, I had to look that up. This is what I found and I see what you mean.

160px-Ground_blade_shapes.png

1. Hollow grind
    2. Flat grind

3. Sabre grind

4. Chisel grind

5. Double bevel
    or compound bevel
    6. Convex grind

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I was slow and your post wasn't there when I started. :cool:

Being a knife idiot, I had to look that up. This is what I found and I see what you mean.

160px-Ground_blade_shapes.png

1. Hollow grind
    2. Flat grind

3. Sabre grind

4. Chisel grind

5. Double bevel
    or compound bevel
    6. Convex grind

It seems like the flat grind would burry in the object, while the sabre grind and double bevel would divide the object at penetration, preventing the edge from trapping? :dunno: IDK, just give me something sharp to swing, so I can have some fun. :D

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    It seems like the flat grind would burry in the object, while the sabre grind and double bevel would divide the object at penetration, preventing the edge from trapping? :dunno: IDK, just give me something sharp to swing, so I can have some fun. :D

I'm sure Tyler knows more about this as well, but it would also seem to me that there is a purpose for each profile. A flat grind may go through material easier, but it may not retain its edge as long as a sabre grind under abusive conditions.

Am I learning anything? :dunno:

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    force = mass x acceleration.

that is why it is easier to drive a nail into a board with a 9 # hammer than it is using a dowel rod. (mass)

for acceleration just think about a bullet, it hurts alot more coming out of a gun than it does if you throw it.

the longer the blade, the faster the tip is moving, think of being in the center of a merry-go-round vs the outside edge.

QUE: the knife that paddling man had at the first chop-in had a flat grind if i remember correctly, and it kicked a$$...

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    the flat grind is king for chopping, edge retention shouldn't be an issue if the appropriate steel is used IIRC paddlingmans wesner was A2 tool steel and will hold that edge for a LONG time. most bladesports guys use CPM M4(my personal favorite steel) it takes a thinner edge then a lot of other steels can and holds an edge forever especially when the toughest thing your cutting is wood. a thinner profile just goes into things easier, it's really as simple as that.:twocents:

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Ditto with Tyler on the full grind good steel..!! The thinner the edge the deeper it goes into what you are cutting..!! Deeper mean more material is being cut..!!

Top Bottom