Looking for a pediatrician that doesn't ask about guns.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So maybe there's value in appearing to be truthful, level-headed, responsible and unashamed rather than suspicious, paranoid and secretive.

Act like you're hiding something, and it will be assumed you are hiding something bad.

Want gun ownership to remain and be viewed as a mainstream activity participated in by normal, sane, reasonable adults? Act like one and don't deny it not like a POW being asked to confess to illegal warfare.

Sounds like you're talking about the Pediatricians at first.

A LOT of things are none of their business.

When I went in to renew my prescription for tremors, why did the office give me a question of my sleeping habits?
    NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.
    Oh. It's because of a study they were doing.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ...but can appear so, easily. Act like someone with something to hide, people will think you have something to hide.

My gun ownership is nothing a thinks needs to be hidden.

To me it is, when I'm not there for them to peddle anti-gun ideas.
    In public, fine, I can just walk away or talk, my choice.
    In a doctors office, I'm a "captive audience".

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    To me it is, when I'm not there for them to peddle anti-gun ideas.
    In public, fine, I can just walk away or talk, my choice.
    In a doctors office, I'm a "captive audience".
    Not just that, but we've already had someone say that they'd drop you as a patient if you refused to answer "THE" question.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    ...but can appear so, easily. Act like someone with something to hide, people will think you have something to hide.

You make a valid point in the general sense.

Just for the record I'd like to point out the actaeon open carries pretty much everywhere.

I don't believe you were insinuating that actaeon was somehow hiding HIS gun ownership, but I want to call that out for others who may have potentially taken it that way.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Actually, at the docs, I CC, or leave it in the car.
    I don't need the hassle at that time.

I also CC when I'm working at a dinner at the Legion, because if people didn't come in because of me, something/someone other than myself would suffer.

At work, I park in an outside lot, because coming in the gate you need to hand over drivers license, registration, and insurance. To me, that's none of their business. So I have to walk about half a mile because of privacy.

If someone calls my house with a poll about ANYTHING, I hang up. My position on most anything is none of their business.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And the argument that, "my gun ownership doesn't need to be hidden" doesn't hold water with me.
    If I accept that premise, then I guess the whole UBC argument falls apart, because there goes the privacy issue.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Actually most of my casual acquaintances and neighbors probably have no idea I own a gun and that isn't by accident. As far as people with something to hide, well if a patient is a convicted felon he isn't going to say that he owns a firearm. He very well may be high on the list needing counseling about gun safety and children, but it ain't happenin'.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So maybe there's value in appearing to be truthful, level-headed, responsible and unashamed rather than suspicious, paranoid and secretive.

Act like you're hiding something, and it will be assumed you are hiding something bad.

Want gun ownership to remain and be viewed as a mainstream activity participated in by normal, sane, reasonable adults? Act like one and don't deny it not like a POW being tortured into confessing to war crimes.
    As I've stated, I open carry at my Dr's office, so I am not trying to hide anything there. It has started conversations about guns with most of the Drs and nurses there at some point.

I am less worried about the actual asking than the agenda behind it.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Firearm Injuries and Children: A Policy Statement of the American Pediatric Surgical Association - ScienceDirect

kids die from firearms 4X more than being struck by a car. You can disagree that guns are evil, but you can't disagree that they are the number 2 cause of traumatic death in kids. Add to that permanent disability and you are looking at a lot of kids.

if your pediatrician ignores that, then you need a new doc. If you are so prideful and arrogant as to refuse to hear about ways to keep your kids safe and be educated about dangers, then I hope you swallow your pride and allow people to try to help.

hell, why not just avoid vaccines for your kids. The odds of them getting measles is REALLY low. But no, you'll vaccinate because measles sucks. But you won't listen to a doc ask about guns :dunno:.

When we we ask certain questions, it pisses some people off and we have a bad experience. So then we are less likely to ask the question to the next person. If you do this to a doc and they don't remind the next dad to secure his guns and his kid shoots himself or his brother, you will be partly to blame, but you'll never know so clean conscience for you :rockwoot:

Look, clearly, freedom comes with certain risks. No one I know says or believes we don`t have a great responsibility with the right to keep and bear arms, if you think that, you`re delusional. But there is no way anyone can justify doctors intruding into the right of gun ownership, and even more so, when data is being downloaded into a national database. It is absolutely not governments business, who owns guns, period. And if you believe these questions are all about protecting the children, I seriously want to be your real estate agent.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

Want gun ownership to remain and be viewed as a mainstream activity participated in by normal, sane, reasonable adults? Act like one and don't deny it not like a POW being tortured into confessing to war crimes.

Why would I care about how gun ownership is viewed? It`s the law of the land. The anti-gunners clearly don`t like it, but again, it`s the law of the land. They can hold their breath, they can stomp their little feet, but guess what? It`s still the law of the land. It`s not my doctors business if I own guns.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why would I care about how gun ownership is viewed?It`s the law of the land. The anti-gunners clearly don`t like it, but again, it`s the law of the land. They can hold their breath, they can stomp their little feet, but guess what? It`s still the law of the land. It`s not my doctors business if I own guns.

Uh, because people vote and laws do change.

If gun owners are viewed as irresponsible, like the guy in Florida shooting tires, then the law of the land won't be favorable for us.

Top Bottom