Looking for a pediatrician that doesn't ask about guns.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    They can ask, you are under no compulsion to answer. You are the paying customer, they are not an official of any kind that can demand compulsion. My response, if I gave one, would be along the lines of "I hope you're not going to recommend I use one to treat the sinus infection I came to you for".

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I always thought that doctor-patient confidentiality was an unbreakable rule, but it looks like doctors make exceptions. I wonder what would happen when divulging that one owns firearms and it was overheard by other patients and/ or staff, and the patient was burglarized because the information was given out? Seems like the doctor might be liable in civil court. This Washington Post excerpt is scary: “Physicians seek to prevent important health problems at the individual and population levels,” Wintemute and his colleagues write. “They inquire and counsel—routinely in some cases, selectively in others—about a wide range of health-related behaviors and conditions. In certain circumstances, they disclose otherwise confidential information to third parties to limit the risk an affected person poses to others. Physicians generally do not do well at firearm related injury prevention, however. They ask infrequently about firearms and counsel poorly, if at all, though they are aware that the high lethality of firearms makes prevention efforts particularly important.”

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I understand the stance, but these questions aren't necessarily being driven by the docter, but rather insurance companies, medical boards and other bureaucrats. So simply asking the question doesn't mean the doc is anti-gun.

You may be right...but...if we continue to patronize the doctors who put up with these intrusive, and clearly anti-gun questions being asked, they`ll continue to get more intrusive. Personally, I wouldn`t tolerate it.

Minifire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    USA
    For me, there are a lot of other factors that should be considered when I choose a doctor: his experience, professionalism, recommendations from other patients... These things mean much more than one question about guns. When I need a doctor - I need a person who will help me with my health. Not all people are gun friendly - that is the fact that I have admitted long time ago. I just live with it. My right is to have a gun, their right is to have their opinion about it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I live in Clark Co and am looking for a pediatrician that doesn't ask about guns. Currently I go to Nassim, McMonigle and Mescia in New Albany and they do. Thank you.

Why?

Kids are are killed by guns. It's an appropriate question to ask for a pediatrician. Accidental deaths can be reduced by identifying risks. I learned the hard way. if they had asked about bed safety we would still have our daughter. It's my fault, not theirs.

my point is identify risks to kids and ask if they are mitigated. To NOT ask is a sign of a bad doc. Who cares if it offends your sense of Liberty that a doc is trying to keep your kid safe.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Pretty much this... same as I ignore most DR/Dentist, etc forms asking for my SSN... no you are not getting it, nor that of the kids' etc.

I've never been pressed to fill in anything I left blank that was not directly related to the current reason for a visit.

To be fair on SSN someone that bills you for service like a doc or dentist has been ruled to be extending credit and as such are required to comply with banking laws. They also want to check with SS that you are who you say you are. Tons of fraud and identity/insurance theft out there

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Why?

Kids are are killed by guns. It's an appropriate question to ask for a pediatrician. Accidental deaths can be reduced by identifying risks. I learned the hard way. if they had asked about bed safety we would still have our daughter. It's my fault, not theirs.

my point is identify risks to kids and ask if they are mitigated. To NOT ask is a sign of a bad doc. Who cares if it offends your sense of Liberty that a doc is trying to keep your kid safe.

Then they can ask if new parents want that info.
    If I take a kid in for a broken arm, I don't need a discussion from someone probably unqualified to talk about it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Then they can ask if new parents want that info.
    If I take a kid in for a broken arm, I don't need a discussion from someone probably unqualified to talk about it.

please don't take your kid to a pediatrician for a broken arm.

these questions are asked during well child exams. Appropriate preventative medicine questions are asked to keep your kid safe. They ask about car seats, seat belts, and brushing teeth too! :xmad: :runaway:

You're saying "oh, you have guns. Are they appropriately secured to protect little Johnny?" Is an invasion of your privacy or beyond their scope? Eye roll.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    please don't take your kid to a pediatrician for a broken arm.

these questions are asked during well child exams. Appropriate preventative medicine questions are asked to keep your kid safe. They ask about car seats, seat belts, and brushing teeth too! :xmad: :runaway:

You're saying "oh, you have guns. Are they appropriately secured to protect little Johnny?" Is an invasion of your privacy or beyond their scope? Eye roll.

So, for the children, I should give them my bank account number and PIN, and answer questions about the strippers in my house?
    I guess if they point to their NRA certification, or something similar, then I might start valuing there opinion on guns.
    A lot of the opinion I hear from medical people are that, guns are bad, we should get rid of them.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So, for the children, I should give them my bank account number and PIN, and answer questions about the strippers in my house?

absurd and will be ignored

I guess if they point to their NRA certification, or something similar, then I might start valuing there opinion on guns.

they are not offering opinions on guns. They are offering ways to protect a child.

A lot of the opinion I hear from medical people are that, guns are bad, we should get rid of them.

yeah, just like a good portion of the population. what is your point? I thought INGO was full of tough guys, now we're afraid to tell a doctor that we own a gun? We spent all day long describing the guns we own in a public forum :rofl:. I'm not saying you HAVE to answer the questions, or even truthfully. But to avoid a doctor because they ask is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Firearm Injuries and Children: A Policy Statement of the American Pediatric Surgical Association - ScienceDirect

kids die from firearms 4X more than being struck by a car. You can disagree that guns are evil, but you can't disagree that they are the number 2 cause of traumatic death in kids. Add to that permanent disability and you are looking at a lot of kids.

if your pediatrician ignores that, then you need a new doc. If you are so prideful and arrogant as to refuse to hear about ways to keep your kids safe and be educated about dangers, then I hope you swallow your pride and allow people to try to help.

hell, why not just avoid vaccines for your kids. The odds of them getting measles is REALLY low. But no, you'll vaccinate because measles sucks. But you won't listen to a doc ask about guns :dunno:.

When we we ask certain questions, it pisses some people off and we have a bad experience. So then we are less likely to ask the question to the next person. If you do this to a doc and they don't remind the next dad to secure his guns and his kid shoots himself or his brother, you will be partly to blame, but you'll never know so clean conscience for you :rockwoot:

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Firearm Injuries and Children: A Policy Statement of the American Pediatric Surgical Association - ScienceDirect

kids die from firearms 4X more being struck by a car. You can disagree that guns are evil, but you can't disagree that they are the number 2 cause of traumatic death in kids. Add to that permanent disability and you are looking at a lot of kids.

if your pediatrician ignores that, then you need a new doc. If you are so prideful and arrogant as to refuse to hear about ways to keep your kids safe and be educated about dangers, then I hope you swallow your pride and allow people to try to help.

hell, why not just avoid vaccines for your kids. The odds of them getting measles is REALLY low. But no, you'll vaccinate because measles sucks. But you won't listen to a doc ask about guns :dunno:.

When we we ask certain questions, it pisses some people off and we have a bad experience. So then we are less likely to ask the question to the next person. If you do this to a doc and they don't remind the next dad to secure his guns and his kid shoots himself or his brother, you will be partly to blame, but you'll never know so clean conscience for you :rockwoot:
    I've always relied upon the NRA, NSSF and other "gun" organizations for safety tips, gun handling safety and safe storage of guns. I never thought that a physician was a reliable source of this kind of information. From what I gather, the highest risk of dying from gunshots in minors is the 15-17 range. I wonder just how many of these involve youth in the inner city that are involved in gangs and/ or the drug trade? Of course, it isn't politically correct to pinpoint the groups that are responsible for these murders. In some children age groups drowning is a leading cause of death. In others dying while asleep is the leading cause. Among adults, medical blunders are a leading cause of death, yet I've never had a doctor caution me about something that should be so well within his/ her area of expertise. As a gun owner, parent and now a grandparent, I am the expert who gives out advice regarding firearms and safe handling, etc. I don't need some untrained professional to follow-up on the training I impart. I respect your opinion on many topics, but I believe you've just bought into the propaganda of the left. It is no wonder, since I'm sure that you are bombarded with it all the time. In passing, I'd like to say that the physician I had for many years, now retired, used to come to me with questions about guns and reloading as he was a novice. Thankfully he never came to me for medical advice. Be well and safe, doctor.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

kids die from firearms 4X more than being struck by a car. You can disagree that guns are evil, but you can't disagree that they are the number 2 cause of traumatic death in kids. Add to that permanent disability and you are looking at a lot of kids.

That's the closed fist of truth, right there.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've always relied upon the NRA, NSSF and other "gun" organizations for safety tips, gun handling safety and safe storage of guns. I never thought that a physician was a reliable source of this kind of information. From what I gather, the highest risk of dying from gunshots in minors is the 15-17 range. I wonder just how many of these involve youth in the inner city that are involved in gangs and/ or the drug trade? Of course, it isn't politically correct to pinpoint the groups that are responsible for these murders. In some children age groups drowning is a leading cause of death. In others dying while asleep is the leading cause. Among adults, medical blunders are a leading cause of death, yet I've never had a doctor caution me about something that should be so well within his/ her area of expertise. As a gun owner, parent and now a grandparent, I am the expert who gives out advice regarding firearms and safe handling, etc. I don't need some untrained professional to follow-up on the training I impart. I respect your opinion on many topics, but I believe you've just bought into the propaganda of the left. It is no wonder, since I'm sure that you are bombarded with it all the time. In passing, I'd like to say that the physician I had for many years, now retired, used to come to me with questions about guns and reloading as he was a novice. Thankfully he never came to me for medical advice. Be well and safe, doctor.
    So, let's assume the number s are skewed by the gangbangers, even so, firearms area risk to young children, as is drowning, SIDS, etc., all of which is in the purview of the a pediatrician.

As to not needing advice on safe handling, you may not need it, but you've got to realize many, many do. Mr. Freeman will be along shortly.

Really, it's not that hard to smile and nod. Smile. Nod. Move on.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Again, how is "keep guns secured and away from kids" some sort of special ninja gun knowledge that only gun ninjas know and are qualified to tell people?

it's a pathway. If no gun, move on. If yes gun, ask about safety for kids.

if no sex, don't ask about birth control. If yes sex, talk about birth control.

if no bike riding, don't comment on helmets. If yes bike riding, talk about helmets

if no seizure, don't talk about seizure precautions. If yes seizure, talk about seizure precautions

what exactly have I "bought into"? I'm just not afraid of questions and someone watching out for my kid :dunno:

a friend of mine is dual boarded in EM/peds. He posted a pic of him riding his riding lawn mower with his baby. I texted him "I know you're careful but remember riding mowers are the #1 cause of traumatic amputation in kids"

should he dump me as a friend because I cared about his kids enough to remind him of something?

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    a friend of mine is dual boarded in EM/peds. He posted a pic of him riding his riding lawn mower with his baby. I texted him "I know you're careful but remember riding mowers are the #1 cause of traumatic amputation in kids"
    I hope his kid was wearing hearing protection.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Again, how is "keep guns secured and away from kids" some sort of special ninja gun knowledge that only gun ninjas know and are qualified to tell people?

it's a pathway. If no gun, move on. If yes gun, ask about safety for kids.

if no sex, don't ask about birth control. If yes sex, talk about birth control.

if no bike riding, don't comment on helmets. If yes bike riding, talk about helmets

if no seizure, don't talk about seizure precautions. If yes seizure, talk about seizure precautions

what exactly have I "bought into"? I'm just not afraid of questions and someone watching out for my kid :dunno:

should he dump me as a friend because I cared about his kids enough to remind him of something?
    I think that the safety of children rests on the shoulders of parents and guardians. I don't think the medical profession needs to stick their noses into that realm. They have enough problems to deal with within the profession and I don't think the AMA deals adequately with problem medical professionals. How does the American Pediatric Surgical Assn. feel about the NRA and NSSF going into classrooms and educating children and teachers about gun safety? Would hospitals be open to having the same gun safety groups come into their sanctuaries and educating the staff and patients? You know the answer.

Top Bottom