• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    To answer OP's question: I think ghost ring sights are a good thing to have in close quarters. Anything that enhances your ability to place that very small spread more precisely is welcome. However, if you're already adept with a bead sight, do not consider it to be a dealbreaker.

Magazine-fed shotguns came out of competition, not defensive use or military/police. You're not going to throw on a bandolier of shotgun mags. If you reload at all, which is highly doubtful, it will be from a handful of loose rounds in a pocket or an open box on a shelf. Tube fed is fine, people have been doing good work with tube fed shotguns for over 120 years. It is a mature and highly reliable technology.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Traded for an 870 with a rifled slug barrel, close up the OO buck is pretty good, about 20-25 yards looks like a 6' ring hitting the dirt, guess that far I could aim at the crotch, and hit head and feet.....sorry, squirrel...it has rifle sights love that when the gun comes up to my shoulder, the sights line up just right, really looking for a 20" smooth bore barrel...

Last edited:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Traded for an 870 with a rifled slug barrel, close up the OO buck is pretty good, about 20-25 yards looks like a 6' ring hitting the dirt, guess that far I could aim at the crotch, and hit head and feet.....sorry, squirrel...it has rifle sights love that when the gun comes up to my shoulder, the sights line up just right, really looking for a 20" smooth bore barrel...

All 00 is not the same. Try your shotgun with Federal True Flight buckshot.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Why not just run slugs in it?

There are devastating sabot slugs available... Hornady SSTs are terrifyingly effective.

Relying on scatter is a 4th rule violation. Every pellet needs to be in the target.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    All 00 is not the same. Try your shotgun with Federal True Flight buckshot.

I doubt any buckshot will pattern well with a rifled barrel. Just run slugs and call it good. Winchester at one time made a partitioned rifled slug. I think they marketed it as an alternative to departments to issue in leu of separate buckshot and slugs being issued.

found them:

http://winchesterle.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/ranger/segmenting-slug/Pages/RA12RS15S.aspx

I didn’t like how they shot. But a someone else’s gun might be perfect. If I had a rifled barrel I would look into these a bit more.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I doubt any buckshot will pattern well with a rifled barrel. Just run slugs and call it good. Winchester at one time made a partitioned rifled slug. I think they marketed it as an alternative to departments to issue in leu of separate buckshot and slugs being issued.

found them:

http://winchesterle.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/ranger/segmenting-slug/Pages/RA12RS15S.aspx

I didn’t like how they shot. But a someone else’s gun might be perfect. If I had a rifled barrel I would look into these a bit more.

My apologies. I have a rifle sighted smoothbore, improved cylinder Barrel on my 870. And that's what I was thinking of, not a rifled barrel. It seems as what we've done with our shotguns is turned them into heavy, heavy recoiling, 8 shot rifles. Might as well use an M1 Garand.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    My apologies. I have a rifle sighted smoothbore, improved cylinder Barrel on my 870. And that's what I was thinking of, not a rifled barrel. It seems as what we've done with our shotguns is turned them into heavy, heavy recoiling, 8 shot rifles. Might as well use an M1 Garand.

You won't find a rifle that does this.
    [video=youtube;ftrCtOyLrmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftrCtOyLrmU[/video]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I wouldn't call the WW slug "partitioned".
    As they used to run a Nosler Partition bullet in a sabot for deer hunting ("Partition Gold").
    Used to run the BRI style "High Impact Supremes". Dramatic effect on deer.
    They dropped em so I sold my gun. Loved that slug.

Buddy bought my rifled 870 and ran the Partition Golds when he ran out of HI Supremes.
    Sub 2" at 100 for him.

That shotgun is in reserve now that rifles are legal. Ammo cost and recoil make it not as much fun to practice with.
    But its an absolute..........it flat out hammers em.

1 oz fosters, work fine, but usually have to follow some barn paint to the freezer filler.

The Ranger slug was called "segmented". Proly to keep the offerings from being confused.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    They still make BRI slugs.

Winchester sells them, BRI sabot slug.
    7f498e92621ba8248e9af0075775f99b_1.jpg

It's the exact same thing, they also can be shot from a smooth bore, without keyholing.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    They dropped the High Impact Supremes, were BRI hourglass shaped but would actually mushroom, not just zip through deer.

The H I Supremes were expensive and worth it.
    But to save $ when setting up a new rig we would rough zero w the cheaper WW BRI like you show.

My brother in law hunted with then. Killed deer. Theyd run off w minimal blood trail. So he juat started head shooting em.

Not kidding.

Last edited:

QBall

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2020
    New Salisbury
    I can go either way on the question of sights vs: a bead. For most circumstances the bead is fine, however I have an old Benelli M1 Super 90 Combat it's got ghost ring sights that I really like for longer range slug work, and I don't think they hurt anything for close range or airborne stuff. I can bust clay pigeons all day long with that shotgun.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    New question looks like I can get either a Remington or a Mossberg only real difference appears to be the safety placement? Any cons for either one?

Thanks

Modern remingtons are kind of hit or miss quality wise. If you go with a fairly old one you'll be alright.
    Mossbergs aren't very refined, but they work.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    New question looks like I can get either a Remington or a Mossberg only real difference appears to be the safety placement? Any cons for either one?

Thanks

Either are fine. It’s all what you get used to. I think the safety on the 500/590 is a little more intuitive, but I find the 870 a little easier to load because of the lifter. The 870 seems to run smoother in my opinion. The 870 might be a little easier to mod because of quality aftermarket support. I opted for the 870P. Bought my son a mossberg 590 and he is happy with it. Both guns live quietly in our house and don’t fight.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Either are fine. It’s all what you get used to. I think the safety on the 500/590 is a little more intuitive, but I find the 870 a little easier to load because of the lifter. The 870 seems to run smoother in my opinion. The 870 might be a little easier to mod because of quality aftermarket support. I opted for the 870P. Bought my son a mossberg 590 and he is happy with it. Both guns live quietly in our house and don’t fight.

Seriously I would have thought cohabitating would be an issue? perhaps it’s just 1911’s and those Glock things.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Seriously I would have thought cohabitating would be an issue? perhaps it’s just 1911’s and those Glock things.

Nope. In fact I have even managed to carry a Glock and 1911 at the same time. I am a very peaceful man.

my son = Glock 17 + 590
    me = 1911 + 870

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise

Thanks

I own both a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. I prefer my Mossberg 500. Mostly due to my Mossberg functioning much more smooth and I have never had any hiccups with it. The safety placement on the 500 is just an added bonus. My 870 has a problem where the forend will occasionally jam, which requires me to "wiggle" it slightly to function properly.

Now, my 500 was an older model (80's or earlier) and my 870 is the Express model and was manufactured within the last 15 year. Not sure if the newer 500s are built like the older ones, and I'm sure the higher quality line of 870s function more smooth than mine.

Top Bottom