• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A large tarp... that's definitely a good idea wherever I go.

I guess I can call around and see how horrified they sound on the phone to my requests. 90 min drive won't kill me, I'll just have to wait longer in between trials.

I can't lay out lots of cash for a membership somewhere, I don't make money writing, I do it because it needs to be done. My "day job" is a charity, so I rarely/never have anything resembling extra money. Maybe I can find a range that a) will let me test things, and b) will give me a non-profit discount.

Still prefer to meet someone with land though. I'm handy with a hammer and saw, we could make a nice covered bench, set up a rack for gongs, build a nice target table for gel, and jugs. Deck the whole place out.

Further than 1 hour, but you may want to check out ProTEQ Firearms Academy | Brazil, IN 47834 I must admit, I have not gone out there myself, but the site covers the rules and the costs, and you may be able to work with them on some of the things you want to do, given you will clean up after yourself, etc.

Just a thought.

I need to get out to Proteq myself one day soon, especially now that I have reason to go out to Terre Haute from time to time now anyway.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    These lazy

I am amazed at the amount of lazy out there.

Anyone here on nextdoor.com? I used to be a lead on it, but the stupid was just too great for me to socialize with those people. Which sucks, since they are your neighbors.

I just read a post this morning on Nextdoor... someone said one of their irrigation drip lines was leaking and they were looking for someone to replace it.

And all I could think was, ok, get your lazy ass to the hardware store and replace it then!

Probably some young-un that thinks magic holds it all together. I'd be embarrassed to have someone else do that work for me.

Probably a generational thing. My neighbor is close to 80, owns his own painting business, and I see him going to work every day, and doing stuff around his house all the time. HE makes ME feel lazy. I certainly hope I'm as active as he is, when I'm his age.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The world needs more old timey ranges like what the OP is looking for.

Can't draw and fire from the holster...
    Can't shoot anything but paper...
    Can't move around and shoot...
    Can't rapid fire...

Everything everywhere is "No you can't."
    Signs, sign, everywhere there’s signs, do this, don’t do that, can’t you read the sign?

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Alienraygun,

I’m enjoying this thread. I have a similar problem. Grew up living where I could shoot any way I wanted right off the rear deck. Now, it’s a pain in the rear. Good luck on your quest and keep us informed.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would also think that by engaging in conversation and getting to know others might make you more acceptable to someone’s property, than just a complete stranger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    And I get it... I understand why all the rules, but as INgunowner said, if the people going to ranges now, had grown up like I did, this request wouldn't seem "odd", nor would I have to make it.

As daddyusmaximus said, the "No, you can't" thing is a bit excessive now. Ranges now are space for coddled "adults". And only good for practicing what happens when your weapon is hot, and you get attacked by an aggressive newspaper. You get to learn your sights, trigger pull, and get rid of flinch, but that's about it. Who has their weapon hot when they get attacked though? Who is at low ready all the time?

Ranges are just babysitting + sport shooting.

You say you understand, "...why the all the rules" and then turn around and question them. Coddled adults that can't be trusted with anything more than low-ready? You bet your sweet bippy!

Where would you like to start with stories of the stupidity of some gun owners? At a controlled range with all the "no, you can't" rules there is still unnecessary damage to the facilities and irresponsible gun handling. Thankfully, at the range I RSO at we have not had any serious injuries. In the old Wild-West (uncontrolled and unmonitored) days there was nearly every safety violation in the book. This usually involved a lot of non-members that would sneak on the property to use the members-only range.

I quit using the range at Rousche in Huntington years ago, prior to it becoming the excellent facility it is now with all the "No, you can't" rules. The rules board and sign-in station were all shot up. Ironic because to use the range you had to sign it agreeing to only shoot things down range utilizing the tubes through the front berm. The garbage cans were hauled out in front of the firing line and used as target holders. People left behind mannequins, boxes, gourds, an ironing board, you name it. The place was turning into a garbage dump and people that came out were not safe.

Shooting out in the middle of nowhere with nothing or no one to worry about sure would be nice. There are more people here shooting on a lot less land and that gives you a lot higher likelihood of ass-hattery. I hear tales of the East coast where people have to drive two hours to find the nearest outdoor range, and the rules are strictly enforced, one violation and you are out.

Good luck to you with your search. Welcome to Indiana and welcome to INGO!

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hmmm, tough call. Free checkout day sounds good. Crowds and tons of noise (tannerite?) not so much.

However, I could make a day of it, and check out Deer Creek if Pro-TEQ gets too much.

thanks for the info.

I've been to most of the Proteq shoots. I'm also a member because if it.

The open shoots are not too bad. Lots of standing around chatting, as well as shooting. Not much Tannerite actually gets used even though Don allows it this ONE event. (not normally allowed at all)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am amazed at the amount of lazy out there.

Anyone here on nextdoor.com? I used to be a lead on it, but the stupid was just too great for me to socialize with those people. Which sucks, since they are your neighbors.

I just read a post this morning on Nextdoor... someone said one of their irrigation drip lines was leaking and they were looking for someone to replace it.

And all I could think was, ok, get your lazy ass to the hardware store and replace it then!

Probably some young-un that thinks magic holds it all together. I'd be embarrassed to have someone else do that work for me.

Probably a generational thing. My neighbor is close to 80, owns his own painting business, and I see him going to work every day, and doing stuff around his house all the time. HE makes ME feel lazy. I certainly hope I'm as active as he is, when I'm his age.

There is definitely some stupidity on Next Door. That said, different skills for different folks, and on the flip side, some of the guys/gals that hire out what you or I may consider basic work, make good money doing something else, so it is sometimes about opportunity cost. I'll admit, I hire out some stuff that many might consider easy due to time constraints or just general opportunity cost, but then do other stuff, because I happen to have the skill or time to get it done and do so.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    AlienRayGun,

Welcome to INGO. I think you’ll like it here. I suggest you check out Revere’s Riders to see an active, local, grassroots organization working to promote responsible gun handling, awareness of American history (especially as it relates to the founding of our country), and civic awareness. We have a carbine class coming up at Bedford Contingent, one of the best ranges in the state and located in South Central Indiana. The class is in less than two weeks. You should come by and check it out:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ifle-223-carbine-bedford-10-12-13-2019-a.html

I’m sure the networking opportunity will be worth the time and effort.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hmmm, tough call. Free checkout day sounds good. Crowds and tons of noise (tannerite?) not so much.

However, I could make a day of it, and check out Deer Creek if Pro-TEQ gets too much.

thanks for the info.

I've only been to one of the INGO shoots, but as far as crowds go, I think there were probably only about a dozen or so people when I went (it's been a couple of years ago). Not sure how the turnout has been since then, but I don't think it's ever been what I would consider "crowded". Like Cameramonkey said, there's a lot of chatting and getting to know one another too. It's also an opportunity to try out some other folks' stuff (for those that are willing) which is always fun. :) It's a very nice facility and if I weren't already a member of a club down in Martinsville, I would probably consider joining ProTeq.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been to most of the Proteq shoots. I'm also a member because if it.

The open shoots are not too bad. Lots of standing around chatting, as well as shooting. Not much Tannerite actually gets used even though Don allows it this ONE event. (not normally allowed at all)

And the hardware on display. All those beautiful pieces just begging to be shot.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    If you are using your backyard as a shooting range

What are some good tips from others that are doing this?

I’m thinking having empty brass everywhere isn’t the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you are using your backyard as a shooting range

What are some good tips from others that are doing this?

I’m thinking having empty brass everywhere isn’t the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. As da Mouse said, A tarp. If you take 2 6' firring strips, and staple one to each end of a 6'x10' tarp, it makes it easy to keep it spread, store, and deploy. (to store, roll the tarp around one strip. To deploy hold by the loose end and toss; the other strip will cause the tarp to unfurl)

Or if you are fancy, a brass magnet.

https://brassmagnet.com/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom