Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    Thanks, guys

Also sorry if I’m derailing your thread OP

Sounds like I’m gonna have to set a more permanent shooting area, and extend the target area further to the different distances I looking to shoot, instead of moving forward or back myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    Thanks, guys

Also sorry if I’m derailing your thread OP

Sounds like I’m gonna have to set a more permanent shooting area, and extend the target area further to the different distances I looking to shoot, instead of moving forward or back myself.

Not so much derailing, more like talking about your steak, when someone is asking for a bite of a sandwich =))

You should definitely designate one particular area to shoot from, and then clear off the area to the right.

Wouldn't hurt to make a bench area, and stretch a net out along the right. You can use a couple of thin pieces of wood to make a pseudo-funnel and have them dump into a box, or other container.

Then use some stakes to flag your distances.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    AlienRayGun,

Welcome to INGO. I think you’ll like it here.

Thanks!

I suggest you check out Revere’s Riders to see an active, local, grassroots organization working to promote responsible gun handling, awareness of American history (especially as it relates to the founding of our country), and civic awareness. We have a carbine class coming up at Bedford Contingent, one of the best ranges in the state and located in South Central Indiana. The class is in less than two weeks. You should come by and check it out:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ifle-223-carbine-bedford-10-12-13-2019-a.html

I’m sure the networking opportunity will be worth the time and effort.

Thanks for sharing, I'm sure it would be worth the time and effort... however, anything that offers "$25 savings with the Early Bird ticket" is going to be too expensive for me.

I simply need a place to test and evaluate firearms for review. I don't make money from these reviews, nor from my normal articles. And I run a non-profit. The Rifle 223 event, unfortunately sounds like an expensive day off. And I don't do either of those. It is 2-3x more money than I spend on myself over a quarter.

If they had a non-profit discount (ie, free) I would check it out for the networking, and convince myself it was a business trip. But I have pages of stuff that need money before I could blow $200 on myself for a day.

acd1010

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Coatesville
    Hmmm, tough call. Free checkout day sounds good. Crowds and tons of noise (tannerite?) not so much.

However, I could make a day of it, and check out Deer Creek if Pro-TEQ gets too much.

thanks for the info.

I shoot at Deer Creek several times a month. I don't think it will suite you needs. You may want to check out the Cloverdale Conservation Club. Members only club. I am not a member but I do know one and have driven out to the range. I think it could meet your needs.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    I shoot at Deer Creek several times a month. I don't think it will suite you needs. You may want to check out the Cloverdale Conservation Club. Members only club. I am not a member but I do know one and have driven out to the range. I think it could meet your needs.

Thanks, that's a shame about Deer Creek. But unfortunately my budget of zero (after FFL fees, ammo, gas, targets, etc) is less than their membership fees.

That's why I'm trying to find a private individual. I'm more than willing to throw in some 2x4's, and sweat equity to make a nice shooting range for them, but I can't afford much more.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Reality check for Indiana.

Unless you get out to these places we have listed and mingle....get to actually know someone people are not all that willing to just let you come in and spray lead. That is the overall general assumption these days. Legality's are a "HUGE" factor. Finding an area that is not populated (Neighbors are just about everywhere these days) will be near impossible. Respecting of the neighbors is always high on priority's.

You will need to shake some hands and FTF with folks and even then you will be very hard pressed to get someone to open the gates for you.

We shoot on private land mainly and if these people were not seriously good friends then nope. No way brother. Not gonna happen.

Just a bit of reality. Wide open land anywhere within 2 hours of Indy is just a rarity.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    Unless you get out to these places we have listed and mingle....get to actually know someone people are not all that willing to just let you come in and spray lead.

Well, just because I go to an event doesn't mean I'll meet INGO people specifically? And doesn't seem like I'd meet people with land at a meet?

You will need to shake some hands and FTF with folks and even then you will be very hard pressed to get someone to open the gates for you.

I'm not asking for carte blanche to someone's land without meeting them in person a few times, probably even taking a trip to a local range, so they can see I'm not some wingnut, and I know my 4 rules, and I'm not a pervasive muzzle sweeper, etc.

Legality's are a "HUGE" factor. Finding an area that is not populated (Neighbors are just about everywhere these days) will be near impossible. Respecting of the neighbors is always high on priority's. Just a bit of reality. Wide open land anywhere within 2 hours of Indy is just a rarity.

Hate to be argumentative, but that's not true. The laws are pretty lax. There's no "distance" away from property set in Indiana Code. It's typically only per county, and a county such as Johnson requires you to only be 100 ft away from any structure, and not shoot across or from a road or waterway.

The center of Johnson is only 25 min away from Indy proper, and 15 min away from me. There's dozens and dozens of large farms out in Johnson... and yeah, if I don't find someone on here, I'm likely to knock on all of their doors and ask if I can shoot on their property.

I'm just really hoping, instead of having to haul a table and targets out to someone's farmland every time, someone on here wants some help to build a nice shooting area, bench, target racks, etc on their property, and get something nice on their property in return for hospitality.

Hope to find something soon, another pistol for testing arrived today. Two more will be arriving shortly.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks, that's a shame about Deer Creek. But unfortunately my budget of zero (after FFL fees, ammo, gas, targets, etc) is less than their membership fees.

That's why I'm trying to find a private individual. I'm more than willing to throw in some 2x4's, and sweat equity to make a nice shooting range for them, but I can't afford much more.

Please dont take this wrong, but if your membership budget is actually zero because of other obligations, and you cant spare $40 for a YEAR of membership (Proteq) then you probably are already spread too thin and need to hang it up because you REALLY cant afford to do what you want to do. This is no different a statement than "I can afford to shoot... Gas, guns, time, targets, etc I just cant afford the bullets." If you cant afford EVERYTHING required to do whatever it is, you cant actually afford to do it. And finding somebody willing to give a stranger access to their land for free isnt likely.

I feel your pain. I have had to do the same for another hobby because my ability to work and be paid to do it ended due to an injury, so I was relegated to becoming a paying customer. Just like you, In my case I could afford everything but "the range fee" so I had to realize that I really couldnt afford to do what I wanted to do after all. It sucked, but such is life.

Good luck.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    Please dont take this wrong, but if your membership budget is actually zero because of other obligations, and you cant spare $40 for a YEAR of membership

I won't take it wrong if you don't take this wrong.*

Someone has to run the non-profits. You have two types of charity CEOs. People that are broke all the time like me, and those that do it to make money. If you run a non-profit to make money, you're doing it wrong. I used to not be broke, but I have selflessly spent my savings to help people.

I give out 100% of the money and materials I take in. Most charities cannot say that. A large proportion of charities only give out 20% or less of what they take in.

$40 is nearly an entire month of food for one person. Or enough for me to buy someone a bike for them to get to work, or replace a broken appliance, so their food doesn't spoil, etc. You are lucky, if you consider $40 trivial.

I am working on this new venture, (not a hobby) because it only requires very little, "in-between" time. Which is the time in between me doing charity work and me sleeping, of which I have very little. Done properly, I can move this into a lucrative way to make extra money for my charity.

So, if it's too much to ask, to get help that doesn't cost me extra money... I don't really know what to say. But the next time someone wants to say, we don't need more background checks, we need better mental health care, just remember, someone has to run the non-profits.

*I only had two options with regards to your comment. Let it go without commenting, and seem like I'm some kinda mooch trying to fund a hobby, or set the record straight.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, just because I go to an event doesn't mean I'll meet INGO people specifically? And doesn't seem like I'd meet people with land at a meet?

I'm not asking for carte blanche to someone's land without meeting them in person a few times, probably even taking a trip to a local range, so they can see I'm not some wingnut, and I know my 4 rules, and I'm not a pervasive muzzle sweeper, etc.

Hate to be argumentative, but that's not true. The laws are pretty lax. There's no "distance" away from property set in Indiana Code. It's typically only per county, and a county such as Johnson requires you to only be 100 ft away from any structure, and not shoot across or from a road or waterway.

The center of Johnson is only 25 min away from Indy proper, and 15 min away from me. There's dozens and dozens of large farms out in Johnson... and yeah, if I don't find someone on here, I'm likely to knock on all of their doors and ask if I can shoot on their property.

I'm just really hoping, instead of having to haul a table and targets out to someone's farmland every time, someone on here wants some help to build a nice shooting area, bench, target racks, etc on their property, and get something nice on their property in return for hospitality.

Hope to find something soon, another pistol for testing arrived today. Two more will be arriving shortly.

Man you are deaf. We live in the state and have seen the results of 1 errant round getting out. It is bad.
    Yes there are distance laws per county and sometimes townships. Why would you want to argue this with the natives. I am giving you the straight up skinny. What you ask of folks is deep.

You will meet all kinds of people at these events. Not just Ingo people. But networking is the key. And again..........Well, I give up.

Best of luck in your search. Heck man just asking to hunt will get doors closed in your face. People have to earn it.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    Man you are deaf. We live in the state and have seen the results of 1 errant round getting out. It is bad.
    Yes there are distance laws per county and sometimes townships. Why would you want to argue this with the natives. I am giving you the straight up skinny. What you ask of folks is deep.

You will meet all kinds of people at these events. Not just Ingo people. But networking is the key. And again..........Well, I give up.

Best of luck in your search. Heck man just asking to hunt will get doors closed in your face. People have to earn it.

Sorry man, not trying to frustrate you... but where I moved from, we have a lot less hand wringing, and people weren't dying willy nilly.

Where I grew up, we openly display rifles in our pickup's gunracks at school, nobody was ever shot in anger, and not a day went by where you didn't hear gunfire close by. So, I'm not tuned-into the 'gravitas'.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not saying the range fees are trivial. Just that if you want to do this test shooting, you have to be realistic and realize that without the luxury of a friend with land, you will have to pay for it, so that fee will need to be factored in to your shooting budget. And if factoring in that fee is too much, than what you want to do costs too much and cannot be done. Unfortunate, but a reality.

Just like if you could only deliver food to the poor because you knew somebody with a commercial kitchen and a van that let you use them, then they moved away. Once they moved, you could no longer cook nor deliver the meals. If the cost of renting a kitchen and van exceeded your budget, then you couldnt do it any more. Unfortunate, but a reality.

Good luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry man, not trying to frustrate you... but where I moved from, we have a lot less hand wringing, and people weren't dying willy nilly.

Where I grew up, we openly display rifles in our pickup's gunracks at school, nobody was ever shot in anger, and not a day went by where you didn't hear gunfire close by. So, I'm not tuned-into the 'gravitas'.

This is not where you grew up or is it the same as when i grew up here. We did the same thing but that was long time ago. Times and people have changed. People have abused privaliges and trespassed to the point land owners are fearful of legality's. It is not "Open" range as you stated.
    Proper containment is in order. Wide open fields are not for shooting. Back stops and distances from the neighbors are the call of the day.
    Heck i have friends that have the LEO come out every time they shoot on their property and they have proper safety in place. Nosey anti-2A neighbors.

This is what I am saying. Not wanting to stop your pursuit just laying out some facts. Maybe someone on the board will invite you in. I hope so.
    Maybe you will have to get out among them to find what you need. There have been a lot of good suggestions given. But affording what we do is 1st. If you can not....well, when I could no longer afford my race team I did not go racing anymore. I get it. I really do.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    I'm not saying the range fees are trivial. Just that if you want to do this test shooting, you have to be realistic and realize that without the luxury of a friend with land, you will have to pay for it, so that fee will need to be factored in to your shooting budget.

Ok, right. But... that's specifically what this post is about. I'm trying to find someone with land.

There's a free range to the North East, but it's paper-only afaik. That's the second reason I'm trying to find some land. For ammo tests, I'd like to set up a table, with ballistics gel, or at a minimum, water jugs to capture rounds. And a chronograph and slo-mo camera.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    All we can say is "good luck" for reasons mentioned upthread.

Hopefully you will find a generous, trusting soul, but don't count on it.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I think you are still missing what mouse is trying to say... This is not where you moved from, nor when you grew up.
    I grew up in western Kansas. I went hunting every day of the season, and never stopped to ask anybody for permission. I always carried a shotgun in my car and really didn't worry too much about which direction I was facing when I fired a gun. Nowdays, things have changed, even in my hometown. There is way more livestock, and way more land where hunting rights are either leased, or saved for family who now live in a city. If I want to go back and hunt or shoot, I have to put in lots of time to get appropriate permission and with houses popping up every 1/2 mile, I have to watch where I am firing something off. Times have changed there.

When I then think of shooting in Indiana, things have always been much tougher than growing up in Kansas. Heck, I haven't found anyplace where I can't see a house somewhere, and always easily within rifle distance. Due to the higher population density, the risks of shooting are much higher than then currently are in Kansas, and certainly MUCH higher than when I grew up there.

When you talk about the BLM land you are used to, I'll bet you can go there, get your binoculars and spin 360 degrees and not see any occupied structure anywhere in view. The lack of people there, and the numbers of people here are what make the difference. If you don't recognize that people are both the difference, and the solution, you will have a hard time getting your situation changed. Mouse is just trying to you to recognize those differences and guide you to a potential solution.

Hope this helps you understand the advice that has been presented.
    --Rick

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    When you talk about the BLM land you are used to, I'll bet you can go there, get your binoculars and spin 360 degrees and not see any occupied structure anywhere in view. The lack of people there, and the numbers of people here are what make the difference. If you don't recognize that people are both the difference, and the solution, you will have a hard time getting your situation changed. Mouse is just trying to you to recognize those differences and guide you to a potential solution.

Hope this helps you understand the advice that has been presented.
    --Rick

Thanks for your reply.

I'm definitely not expecting BLM land rules here. But I was hoping for somewhere between BLM and where I lived in the south.

Probably just going to out, over the weekend, with some GIS and elevation maps and go door to door to the farm property south of here.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Reality check for Indiana.

Unless you get out to these places we have listed and mingle....get to actually know someone people are not all that willing to just let you come in and spray lead. That is the overall general assumption these days. Legality's are a "HUGE" factor. Finding an area that is not populated (Neighbors are just about everywhere these days) will be near impossible. Respecting of the neighbors is always high on priority's.

We shoot on private land mainly and if these people were not seriously good friends then nope. No way brother. Not gonna happen.

Just a bit of reality. Wide open land anywhere within 2 hours of Indy is just a rarity.
    Trouff this! He'll find something somewhere. :):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom