• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    What about Hoosier National Forest? I don't live anywhere near there but I thought I have heard people say there were areas you could shoot there similar to BLM?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What about Hoosier National Forest? I don't live anywhere near there but I thought I have heard people say there were areas you could shoot there similar to BLM?

Good point. Is it safe to assume that if its OK to hunt its OK to target shoot? (assuming you do so safely)

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    You can target shoot on HNF land. Check the IDNR site for details.

Besides the distance from Indy, one would be faced with finding a suitable spot with backstop (because you never know where someone else is bushwhacking, etc.). You would also have to clean up after yourself and haul ALL of you equipment back and forth.

A range like Crosley shooting range with full length side berms would be ideal IF they would allow all of the activities desired. The catch...distance from Indy and range availability when you get there. If interested, call and discuss your intended use.

HHRP would be another private range that might work except the OP is unwilling to become a member @ $75/year.

One downside to shooting ballistic gel is if the round comes out the side/top prior to much penetration god only knows where it will land.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can target shoot on HNF land. Check the IDNR site for details.

Besides the distance from Indy, one would be faced with finding a suitable spot with backstop (because you never know where someone else is bushwhacking, etc.). You would also have to clean up after yourself and haul ALL of you equipment back and forth.

A range like Crosley shooting range with full length side berms would be ideal IF they would allow all of the activities desired. The catch...distance from Indy and range availability when you get there. If interested, call and discuss your intended use.

HHRP would be another private range that might work except the OP is unwilling to become a member @ $75/year.

One downside to shooting ballistic gel is if the round comes out the side/top prior to much penetration god only knows where it will land.

I am starting to think that someone wants the cake.....all the icing .....and not willing to pay the freight.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Reality check for Indiana.

Unless you get out to these places we have listed and mingle....get to actually know someone people are not all that willing to just let you come in and spray lead. That is the overall general assumption these days. Legality's are a "HUGE" factor. Finding an area that is not populated (Neighbors are just about everywhere these days) will be near impossible. Respecting of the neighbors is always high on priority's.

You will need to shake some hands and FTF with folks and even then you will be very hard pressed to get someone to open the gates for you.

We shoot on private land mainly and if these people were not seriously good friends then nope. No way brother. Not gonna happen.

Just a bit of reality. Wide open land anywhere within 2 hours of Indy is just a rarity.
    ^^This, all of it. And keep in mind that "wide open land" can mean physically empty, or open to guests.

I won't take it wrong if you don't take this wrong.*

Someone has to run the non-profits. You have two types of charity CEOs. People that are broke all the time like me, and those that do it to make money. If you run a non-profit to make money, you're doing it wrong. I used to not be broke, but I have selflessly spent my savings to help people.

I give out 100% of the money and materials I take in. Most charities cannot say that. A large proportion of charities only give out 20% or less of what they take in.

$40 is nearly an entire month of food for one person. Or enough for me to buy someone a bike for them to get to work, or replace a broken appliance, so their food doesn't spoil, etc. You are lucky, if you consider $40 trivial.

I am working on this new venture, (not a hobby) because it only requires very little, "in-between" time. Which is the time in between me doing charity work and me sleeping, of which I have very little. Done properly, I can move this into a lucrative way to make extra money for my charity.

So, if it's too much to ask, to get help that doesn't cost me extra money... I don't really know what to say. But the next time someone wants to say, we don't need more background checks, we need better mental health care, just remember, someone has to run the non-profits.

*I only had two options with regards to your comment. Let it go without commenting, and seem like I'm some kinda mooch trying to fund a hobby, or set the record straight.
    OP, I commend you for setting the record straight for one, but also for giving of yourself so completely to the cause in which you believe. It goes without saying if more people were like this the world would be a better place.
    My father left me with the belief that money should never be the reason that you don't do something you want. It may be the excuse, but if you want it bad enough, it is not the reason. So, I have two things I'll leave with you, one is that if this gun review idea is truly lucrative, then you should consider investing a portion of what you're given to pass along into this venture, so that you can complete your ultimate goal of giving more. Only you can decide if this is right or not, as most of us 'gun guys' only think we know where this rabbit hole we're going down ends and we make excuses to our pocketbook and spouse to no end, and to mix a charity in could be a bad rabbit hole. The second thing is that this place, INGO, is amazingly giving. There are a lot of resources here, and people who are willing to give, but it all starts with a relationship, even if second hand like so many in the 'twigs and berries club' that gave support to a man in his time of need (you can look it up if you wish). Point being, you go to these shoots/events (invest in yourself!) you will meet INGOers and others that will lead to relationship and meeting your needs. If we knew what this charity was, we might want to give, who knows?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I won't take it wrong if you don't take this wrong.*

Someone has to run the non-profits. You have two types of charity CEOs. People that are broke all the time like me, and those that do it to make money. If you run a non-profit to make money, you're doing it wrong. I used to not be broke, but I have selflessly spent my savings to help people.

I give out 100% of the money and materials I take in. Most charities cannot say that. A large proportion of charities only give out 20% or less of what they take in.

$40 is nearly an entire month of food for one person. Or enough for me to buy someone a bike for them to get to work, or replace a broken appliance, so their food doesn't spoil, etc. You are lucky, if you consider $40 trivial.

I am working on this new venture, (not a hobby) because it only requires very little, "in-between" time. Which is the time in between me doing charity work and me sleeping, of which I have very little. Done properly, I can move this into a lucrative way to make extra money for my charity.

So, if it's too much to ask, to get help that doesn't cost me extra money... I don't really know what to say. But the next time someone wants to say, we don't need more background checks, we need better mental health care, just remember, someone has to run the non-profits.

*I only had two options with regards to your comment. Let it go without commenting, and seem like I'm some kinda mooch trying to fund a hobby, or set the record straight.

:rolleyes:

So let me get this straight.

You can afford firearms, ammunition, ballistic gel, targets, gasoline, transportation, etc., but think that $40 a year is too much for a membership to a range?

Good luck in finding a complete stranger to let you shoot on their land. Bonus points if you open carry while you knock on the doors of strangers asking to use their land for free. Heck, maybe you will find one that will let you raid the fridge, make yourself a sandwich and date their daughter as well. How dare they not respect your sacrifice to us all?

I hope you don't need to use all of the wood from your cross to build that shooting bench.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010

Hoosier National Forest is ok, EXCEPT for the Charles Deam Wilderness Area. There you can hunt, but no target shooting.

RoGrrr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Hi, I am new to this forum. Excuse the greenness.

I am looking for someone with some private land to shoot on, near South Indy. Near being less than an hour, drive.

[SNIP]

Or email if you like Talos [đøť] arms [ąť] gmāîl [đøť] cøm
    Thanks! Looking forward to making a new friend.

Hi Ray. Welcome to the list. I'm writing something for thought. It'll be posted shortly for your post count.
    RoGrrr

RoGrrr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    AlienRayGun
    Most Americans think of the future as 'this afternoon' or maybe tomorrow (millenials), while some think a year down the road. The orientals think of the future as 500 years from now.
    I had wanted an estate like you are looking for. When my job dictated I move I decided to look for a piece of land where I could build my house and and shoot whatever, whenever. I had to move 40 miles outside the beltway (Columbus Ohio) to get what I wanted. I looked for my property for several years and when this 30 acres of wooded land showed up on the realtor's desk, I jumped on it. I bought it over 20 years ago and finally I'm going to have an excavator clear an acre and put up 3 10 foot berms so I can have my own dedicated 'state-qualified' 60 yard range, 25 yards wide at my house.
    You might have to look to the 'future' for your own need and it might take a while but if you do this, it WILL be worthwhile.
    I, too, wonder about the yearly membership cost and excuses for not wanting to pay any of it. You know, shooting IS expensive so your quest into the hobby seems to lack some credibility, the way you present your pauper budget.
    Plan ahead (WAY) into the future.
    I did....
    Yes, it's taken me a while but thanks to planning and patience, what I will build is golden.
    The tarp for collecting wood splinters is a great idea but remember not to put it right under a steel target, as it will get cut up along the line of the plane of the steel when the boolit impacts and splatters. I always have a line of branches alongside and above which are denuded from the spray of lead.

Best luck to you.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    AlienRayGun

The tarp for collecting wood splinters is a great idea but remember not to put it right under a steel target, as it will get cut up along the line of the plane of the steel when the boolit impacts and splatters. I always have a line of branches alongside and above which are denuded from the spray of lead.

Tarp references were to catch the brass shell casings.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I need to get my range “state qualified”? I thought it would be okay to just shoot as long as I know what’s behind the targets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I need to get my range “state qualified”? I thought it would be okay to just shoot as long as I know what’s behind the targets

What does "state qualified" even mean? I googled it and didn't come up with anything.
    You're just shooting in your backyard right? Nothing wrong with that, as long as you're responsible for where your rounds end up.
    I mean, unless you're some kind of bootlicker or something, then by all means bow down and ask permission from the crown. While your at it go ahead and write a letter to the atf asking for more clarification on some obscure right we may or may not have.
    I don't mean to sound harsh but we don't need to make things more complicated than they already are.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I had wanted an estate like you are looking for. When my job dictated I move I decided to look for a piece of land where I could build my house and and shoot whatever, whenever. I had to move 40 miles outside the beltway (Columbus Ohio) to get what I wanted. I looked for my property for several years and when this 30 acres of wooded land showed up on the realtor's desk, I jumped on it. I bought it over 20 years ago and finally I'm going to have an excavator clear an acre and put up 3 10 foot berms so I can have my own dedicated 'state-qualified' 60 yard range, 25 yards wide at my house.

I was referencing RoGrrrs post, when talking about “state qualified”. Maybe it was an Ohio thing?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I was referencing RoGrrrs post, when talking about “state qualified”. Maybe it was an Ohio thing?

Gotcha.
    I googled it again specifically for ohio and indiana and got nothing really. Maybe he meant a quality standard or something?
    I generally ask for forgiveness not permission and very rarely end up doing either. Knock on wood.

RoGrrr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I recalled something in NRA's guidelines for building a shooting range and it seems to me the pub said something about state requirements for safe design of ranges. I'd believe this is for liability insurance purposes.
    That being said, my range will have berms high enough that the probability of any boolit escaping will be slim. Also, the probability of an escape hitting any dwelling will be even slimmer, due to housing density.
    If there is no state qualification/standard required, sorry for causing an uproar. However, I hear enough 'wild shooting' that makes me wonder where their spent boolits are ending up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom