• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If you do that, make sure you announce to everyone that the animals were fed with non-GMO foods. Over and over. And over. And then repeat it again. And again. Just to make sure that they know that your animals were fed with non-GMO foods. And then, just to make really, really sure, repeat it again.

You forgot gluten free.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    id moonwalk through my soon to be former job, wearing assless leather chaps, pointing to where everyone could plant their tulips, hop in my new corvette leave the longest tire marks to the street, and head to the nearest class 3 gun dealer, and have them order me a American 180, and a hk mp5, and by the time the paperwork clears, i'd have my new house built, with the largest gun vault anyone's ever seen.

but instead, ill be at work on Monday, p*$$*D off at someone I don't know, who won big in the lottery!

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I'll play... not that I have ever thought about it much. Maybe...

Land enough to grow some food, raise some meat, hunt mushrooms and deer. Small airfield and hangar for a Cessna 180 sized tail dragger and something quick and aerobatic. Dirt track for motorcycles and go-carts. Shooting range out of the back door. House would be fairly modest looking with a lot more underground. Attached garage for 5 or 6 different daily driver vehicles. Detached shop garage four car sized with extra room in the back for reloading/casting setup. It would have a lift in one bay, one open and vehicle storage lifts in the other two. Insulated with its own basement, AC, heat, full kitchen, W/D hookup, fridge and apartment/office upstairs.

The property would be run from a huge battery bank (think submarine batteries) and solar out the wazoo to keep them charged, then fairly big Cummins diesel generator to run it all as a backup. Extra houses for my mom and my MIL/FIL to live and a guest house for long term visitors. They best be okay with gunfire and motorcycles on the track or airplane noises.

That wouldn't even come close to spending a percentage of the winnings. The charity work would be part of the fun. Helping people and doing things I could only dream of in the past would be a hoot. All through a trust of course... keep me from turning mean and nasty if the beggars started in on me personally. Let them beg the trust lawyers...

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I would move to somewhere where my feet would never be cold again

We're talking about $160 million and you guys keep getting hung up on something that could be solved for the rest of your life for less than the price of a police trade Glock.

Smartwool
    Darn Tough

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    If I hit it big like that, first thing I'm gonna do is go down to Dairy Queen and get one of their BIG ice cream cakes. I've always wanted to try one, but never felt like we could afford it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I was reading or heard somewhere that the lottos require you to do publicity so staying anonymous isn't an option. I'm sure most/some of folks saying they wish they'd never won stems from that.

It depends on the state.
    Some states allow a trust to collect the winnings amd thusbthe trust name is public only and the person who manages the trust. Like the rainbow shert trust in MA for some lotto winner.

In IL your name before public record i think. Not sure in indiana.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Good luck collecting in Illinois.

They "fixed" that mistake il made.
    For 1 week il tickets were worthless due to budget issues. After 1 week the il legilstaure fixed that because they lost a boatload in lost revenue.

They still owe the powerball org but doibt yhey ever will pay their back due assoistion fees

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd own 1000 acre parcels of hunting ground in at least a dozen states. Each would have a pole building with 1500 sq ft of living space to include a commercial grade meat processing area and a large storage area for a tractor w/implements, ATVs, an electric UTV and plenty of storage for tree stands and ladders. Each property would be outfitted with a few dozen hard wired trail cameras strategically located throughout the property and set up on an internet accessible live feed. I would spend 8 months out of the year hunting or preparing my properties for hunting.

My primary residence would be located wherever my wife wanted and would be whatever she desired. There would be barns and lot and lots of animals. Our existence would be as self sufficient as possible.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'd buy politicians to change the laws I don't like and judges to not enforce the laws I don't like .

Might even buy a governor or two .

You need more then what the OP said the winnings would be for that. But i do like the way you think.

I would just step it up more and say fund a death star to ensure the .govs are good. :)

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Depending on the size of jackpot,

1. Start a scholarship to help less then stellar students go to college for broadcasting(500k total, each student would get 3,000 a semester).

2. Buy about 20-50 acres of mostly wooded land. Build a modest house (4 bed, 4 bath about 2500 sq feet with full basement). Also build a 20’ by 30’ barn that is finished with concrete floor, u shaped loft, living area for emergencies for friends, heated and cooled.

3. But a Jeep Wrangler unlimited and lift and trick it out, f150, a family car for my wife, and a challenger with hemi (my wife likes those cars).

4. Tractor with attachments for snow, land management.

5. Buy cameras and etc. tv equipment to start my own production company

6. Beachside condo in Pensacola.

I estimate that is 3 million at most, i would quit my job. I imagine my wife would keep hers, she likes it. Put the rest in the bank and live off the interest.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was reading or heard somewhere that the lottos require you to do publicity so staying anonymous isn't an option. I'm sure most/some of folks saying they wish they'd never won stems from that.

It depends on the state.
    Some states allow a trust to collect the winnings amd thusbthe trust name is public only and the person who manages the trust. Like the rainbow shert trust in MA for some lotto winner.

In IL your name before public record i think. Not sure in indiana.

It is my understanding that you can easily create two (2) trusts for this purpose.

Trust "A" is a trust with all of the names of the "owners" on it. You set up the trust so that the legal obligation of this trust is to collect the winnings. The "owner" is Lawyer Houghmade. His name is public. His office is public. Etc. He shows up to be the face of the lottery winner. Once he collects the winnings he immediately transfers those dollars into Trust "B". The owners of Trust B are completely private. They don't have to share squat. The owners of the private trust may then do as they please. So the public sees the "owner" / manager of Trust A but not where the money goes from there. Trust A acts like a shield before transferring the money into Trust B.

However, the only reason to do this is to keep your name out of the media and/or away from family parasites. I wouldn't go through this hassle myself. I have minimal problem telling parasites, family, friends or strangers to go bugger off. As I posted earlier, this would be more complicated for a married person as their spouse may not have the same intestinal fortitude as their partner. This could well rip a family apart if one spouse is willing to enjoy their winnings in a reasonable, fiscally sound manner while the other wants to send every son, daughter, cousin, second cousin and all to the finest colleges and set up the parents, brothers, sisters, etc in the nicest homes and and and.... You get the picture. How many married couples are in complete harmony on how to deal with money today? Hundreds of millions just explodes the problem.

You would be placed in the unenviable position of choosing between basically two (2) options IF you want to enjoy your money with friends. Option #1 is finding a new set of friends if you're not already extremely affluent as the world just became a helluva lot smaller for you. You could afford front row seats to anything. Heck, you could have your own personal box at the Colts games, no problem. Almost anywhere at anytime will become well within your budget of both time and money. Travel to Asia, Europe or anywhere for the weekend or month isn't a problem. Option #2 is choosing a certain number of friends to become an entourage, living off of your largess.

Consider someone who loves cars. Driving them, working on them, collecting them. Winning the lottery will open up almost any collectible car you want. You may find three (3) of the same model around the world. You would likely want to see one firsthand before forking over $1 million + for it, right? Even presuming it is in the USA, say in Jay Leno's collection, who would travel with you to look at it? So if it is no big deal to go alone or with family, fine. When you want to take it to the track on Wednesday who will take off of work to join you?

Winners can enjoy life, but life becomes much more complicated in many ways. The ultrarich are screwed up and paranoid for good reasons.

Regards,

Doug

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

The ultrarich are screwed up and paranoid for good reasons.

Not all of them. The funny thing about the one's that are is that it isn't the money that screws them up, it's the people around them. Life is different when everyone wants something from you. When you have FU money, not many people will tell you the truth and reality becomes difficult to recognize and near impossible to relate to.

Top Bottom