• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Not all of them. The funny thing about the one's that are is that it isn't the money that screws them up, it's the people around them. Life is different when everyone wants something from you. When you have FU money, not many people will tell you the truth and reality becomes difficult to recognize and near impossible to relate to.

You are right. Not all of them, but a lot. It is often how other people treat you, but having the world handed to you on a platter the size of which you have never dreamed of can be overwhelming all on its own.

I knew a guy who won the lottery. It wasn't huge, but it was good. Back in the 80's he won about $6 million from Ohio. As I understand it he received about $380k per year, for 30 years. He wanted to continue working but his coworkers drove him off. "Why are you still here?" "Why don't you go home to your mansion?" "You shouldn't be here, you're taking a working mans job."

He had enough and had to quit. I don't blame him. Who would want to work around a bunch of folks who all of a sudden treat you like crap?

By the way, he went broke. Had to file bankruptcy and sell his annuity to one of those investment firms for a small payout for his debts. I don't know what happened to him.

There is one thing you reminded me of, a place where I would put some money if I won huge. Every now and then, when I'd read the paper about some little guy getting a raw deal from anyone, I'd take some FU money and see about hiring him a law firm to balance the scales. Some law firms would love the hell out of me. I'd fund an FU lawsuit with the ONLY stipulation that if they accept my help you go all the way to verdict. NO deals unless it is total capitulation by the other side. This could be someone getting shafted by a company, their boss, or even the government. I wouldn't care. I hate seeing these kinds of stories from time to time and people don't have the means to fight. I would get a kick out of balancing things in a just and fair way.

Regards,

Doug

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Half would go to my fave evangelical pastor's org and the other half would be so much money I'd just sit on the front porch for a year or two trying to wrap my head around it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    [video=youtube;YRdfpCdiAb0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRdfpCdiAb0[/video]

I was reading or heard somewhere that the lottos require you to do publicity so staying anonymous isn't an option. I'm sure most/some of folks saying they wish they'd never won stems from that.

Years ago my plan was change my name, rent a crap hole apt somewhere, claim the winnings under that name and address then change it back. Far from fool proof but... Now if I could trust.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The ultrarich are screwed up and paranoid for good reasons.

It's a good thing that $160 million isn't considered "ultra rich", then!

And your points about being on the same page as a spouse are spot on. It's easier to NOT be on the same page when you don't have to deal with hiding all that $ from others. Quite another thing to not be on the same page when there IS all that $.

Which is where my idea of several trusts comes in to play. Hide/secure that $ from ourselves so we can't get to it.

$160 million is a crap ton of money for the overwhelming majority of people... Definitely F U money. But not exactly F ALL OF U money. That $1.3 BILLION powerball jackpot from a few years ago? THAT was F ALL Y'ALL money.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The world would now be a different and probably better place if rhino had won that $1.3B jackpot.

Why does the universe hate improvement?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I’d be a farmer

That's a good way to turn a big fortune into a small fortune....until you get the subsidies figured out.

As for the original question, I don't quite know what I'd do. Hopefully I could maintain most of my current lifestyle..with better floor coverings.

Lawrence, well Lawrence is a simple man who knows what he wants:

[video=youtube;Q9t3ez_LU6Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9t3ez_LU6Y[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That's a good way to turn a big fortune into a small fortune....until you get the subsidies figured out.

As for the original question, I don't quite know what I'd do. Hopefully I could maintain most of my current lifestyle..with better floor coverings.

Lawrence, well Lawrence is a simple man who knows what he wants:

[video=youtube;Q9t3ez_LU6Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9t3ez_LU6Y[/video]

Someone already scooped you on that.

Top Bottom