• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    First, Sir I want to thank you for your service.

I think you have learned one valuable lesson. ANY aftermarket item added to "customize" almost any "new" item is almost worthless to the value of the entire item in the market. Remember YOU wanted the aftermarket item. No matter the cost to you, the average buyer may not feel the item is worth much if anything to them.

Watching Chasing Classic Cars yesterday an older Dodge Powerwagon had been completely restored at a cost of $150,000. When it sold on the auction block it brought around $35,000, (probably about the cost of the new Crate Hemi head Motor alone). I have seen this happen many times with Motorcycles, automobiles, and Firearms. You can put a $3K scope on an AR, never fire the gun after than and will be very lucky if you get a $1500 return, unless you find the one in 10,000 person that really wants that scope as much as you do, then you may get a $2,000 return.

Not saying what you have is not worth it, but when I purchase a "used" item that is still currently available new, I do expect to have quite a bit of reduction in price. Regardless of the reason if the item malfunctions, I can take a "new" firearm back to the dealer and have a Zero cost repair or replacement. If I purchase "used" (Even if like new in the box, never fired), I lose that option. If I intend to keep the item forever, I can add just the accessories I want. While with a used item my "wants" may differ totally from what the previous owner wanted / believed was valuable to him/her.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Hang on to your price on it. The way some of the "representatives" are going after guns it's liable to be worth more in the coming weeks.
    I've picked up a couple lately and I think I got a very good deal on them.
    I would have paid more considering the want and need at the time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If people get offended by low ball offers and "what's your bottom line" statements then maybe you should re-think selling stuff. Negotiation is part of the game. And it can be fun.

It's actually pretty easy; you decide your bottom line or your top dollar if you are buying. Then you play the game until you get to your target.

A lot of what has been said in this thread is good stuff. Accessories generally don't increase the resale value. Just ask Harley owners who pay $17K for their bike, add $3K in chrome and then sell it. Since Harley's tend to hold their value, they can usually get close to the $17K back, but rarely, if ever will they get the accessories investment back.

Disclaimer: I am in sales so negotiation is fun and I can't be offended by what people offer or reject or I would be in the nut house. Some of you I suspect would rather go to an all night dentist than wheel and deal.:)

For the OP: Don't sell it for $550 if it is worth more to you to keep it. Otherwise let it go.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As a buyer, your claim to round count, what you have in it, and any other claims are completely worthless. Maybe you're selling it because you ovalized a pin hole, messed up the trigger, have a crack in the lower, or messed up any number of different things.

Used guns are used guns. 1 round fired like new, 1000 rounds fired with any number of hack-smith changes.... both are equally possible. Especially from a stranger. If you're selling anywhere close to new price, unless they can't buy legally, no reasonable buyer will be interested for these reasons.

Used motorcycles are no different. Just food for thought.....

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You should have taken the $550 if you actually want to sell it. That was a fair price. I wouldn't even look at a m&p sport for $650. I'd have skimmed over your add and passed right by it laughing at that price and a "firm" listing at that. Accessories that you like and bolted on don't mean much on a used rifle.

Those m&p sports can be found for $550 brand new with a warranty.

You put a nice expensive rail on a low end budget rifle.....Nobody looking for a budget rifle like that is going to want to pay a premium for that rail. If I wanted a $650 used gun, I sure as hell wouldn't be looking at m&p sports with some bolted on stuff from the previous owner, that's for sure.

Also, cases and mags are plentiful and cheap right now.

And you need to learn to negotiate or just politely decline. I negotiate every single time I buy something on this forum. That includes people that list their price as "firm." Worst someone can really do is say no, and as a buyer or seller, you never know unless you ask. I've made offers multiple times when I only had $400 and someone was selling a handgun for "$450 FIRM." A few times I bought their gun, and a few times the guy didn't sell. No sweat either way, but at least the offer was made.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    AR's ? I would list a price with the added accessories and then offer to take them off for a lower price and sell the accessories separate. Just the nature of AR15's. More than likely you'll come out ahead selling the goodies separate.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You should have taken the $550 if you actually want to sell it. That was a fair price. I wouldn't even look at a m&p sport for $650. I'd have skimmed over your add and passed right by it laughing at that price and a "firm" listing at that. Accessories that you like and bolted on don't mean much on a used rifle.

Those m&p sports can be found for $550 brand new with a warranty.

You put a nice expensive rail on a low end budget rifle.....Nobody looking for a budget rifle like that is going to want to pay a premium for that rail. If I wanted a $650 used gun, I sure as hell wouldn't be looking at m&p sports with some bolted on stuff from the previous owner, that's for sure.

Also, cases and mags are plentiful and cheap right now.

And you need to learn to negotiate or just politely decline. I negotiate every single time I buy something on this forum. That includes people that list their price as "firm." Worst someone can really do is say no, and as a buyer or seller, you never know unless you ask. I've made offers multiple times when I only had $400 and someone was selling a handgun for "$450 FIRM." A few times I bought their gun, and a few times the guy didn't sell. No sweat either way, but at least the offer was made.

Really "firm" should not be used in a sale. You can be firm if you want, but don't advertise it. This word is a negative and when you are marketing something, you should word your listing to entice buyers, not send them away.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    As always, the value in the eye of the BUYER is what drives the price in any market that is not constrained. Gas sells for what the station operators say because you either buy their gas at their price or you run out. Not an option for most people.

You have a used AR and in most cases a potential buyer has multiple options including waiting for a better deal. As far as accessories, you are usually better off taking the item back to stock as you virtually NEVER get value out of them. The only exception for me would be something that is EXACTLY like I want. In most cases a buyer wants to make an AR his own, not live with your idea of an AR.

I didn't offer you the $550 but that sounds like a reasonable offer. You could be an a__hole and ignore it or you could counter and possible reach an agreement. If I was shopping I'd be looking for a deal since just about any AR is available from other members here, on ArmsList, on GunBroker, and at any LGS. So unless yours is somehow special and worth the extra, you either price it right, negotiate with a buyer, or keep it and wait for a better offer. But a REAL buyer is almost always, IMHO, better than a potential buyer at some point in the future.

I look at selling stuff like this... There is a price that will sell your gun TODAY. There is a price that your gun will NEVER sell at. Most likely you can get a price between those two. You determine how soon you want or need to sell and price accordingly.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Really "firm" should not be used in a sale. You can be firm if you want, but don't advertise it. This word is a negative and when you are marketing something, you should word your listing to entice buyers, not send them away.

+1 on that. I usually ignore ads where the seller says "firm". It tells me they aren't serious about selling and are just "trolling".

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If a seller chooses to list something as "firm" then they should be prepared to sit on the item for as long as it takes. If you wanna move an item then a good majority of the time you are going to have to take a hit on your investment.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    People don't want it because it doesn't have an ejection port cover or forward assist

There's your issue. It doesn't matter if I **need** those items. I probably don't **need** an AR to begin with. I want them. If your item doesn't have want most customers want, demand is low, and prices will reflect that. I wouldn't give you $550 for it, personally.

I don't care if people say "firm" or not. You may be firm today but decide you really want to move it tomorrow. I offered a guy $90 standing offer on a barrel he said he wouldn't come down from $110 on. It didn't sell at that price, here or on gunbroker, but its up to him if he wants to remain firm and not sell it or decide to compromise and sell it. He won't sell it to me, I found the same barrel for the $90 I offered and already made the purchase from someone else, but if I hadn't and he changed his mind we could have worked a deal. If I never sent him the offer because he said he wouldn't come down, 0% chance at that point.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. Nobody wants to go and meet a guy that comes off so negative in his for sale listing.

Personally, I don't say how firm I am in my listings. I list my items as I see fit, and normally do a bit of research to see what the market value is before listing. Then I take the offers as they come and negotiate with the people making the offers. If they are willing to pay less than I am willing to sell for, I politely decline the deal, and we both go on our merry way.

Bery rarely do buyers just say "I'll take it for the listed price" unless the item was listed pretty low...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This. Nobody wants to go and meet a guy that comes off so negative in his for sale listing.

Personally, I don't say how firm I am in my listings. I list my items as I see fit, and normally do a bit of research to see what the market value is before listing. Then I take the offers as they come and negotiate with the people making the offers. If they are willing to pay less than I am willing to sell for, I politely decline the deal, and we both go on our merry way.
    I know some people "FIRM" out their add so they don't have to mess with inquiries and just a single buyer. Some people don't like bothered.
    It's not what I would consider proper marketing or at least "Popular Marketing" practice but I guess some like it hot....others not.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Another tip I've figured out is that I never list it as "my widget." I think people wanting to buy something are wanting it to be theirs, and don't want to think of it as buying "your" thing.

But maybe that's just me...

Smeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    Clinton
    I recently sold my m&p sport. Quadrail, bipod, nikon p223' sling, 3 pmags, and a case of ammo for $600. But it was also back to my buddy I bought it off of for the same price.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If I need money I will allow room to negotiate. If I don't need money then I'm firm on my price because I hate haggling and endless emails back and forth. I haven't needed money that bad in years. Will I miss some buyers as a result? Sure. Do I care? Nope. It's worth it to me to not have to deal with the fishing expeditions some folks who never actually intend to buy go on? Yep. I have better things to do with my time. Then they want me to drive twice as far as I said I would. Then they want... and on. If the price I ask doesn't get bites it either goes back in the safe or I lower the price a little.

Some people love haggling, some people don't. Some people take it way too seriously and get bent out of shape when they can't talk someone down. Some people get offended when they think they are being lowballed.

Will I make an offer below asking price? Sure. But It doesn't bother me at all if it gets ignored or refused. It's just stuff, not food or medicine for my child.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I've only done one deal through this forum and it went like this; member posted item with price, later he added "make offer", I contacted him, we met and I gave him his asking price. The price for the item was fair and when you mix in that we both put in equal windshield time to the meeting place, it was a win/win for us both.
    Sometimes, as sellers, what we feel is a fair price is often not, and that's realized when no one is willing to pay the listed price. OP. if you were in the market to buy the very gun you have for sale today, would you pay the $650 FIRM asking price?
    I think we sometimes get emotionally attatched to item we put so much of our own personal tastes into, that it clouds our judgement.
    if you're not getting your firm price and your not willing to negotiate, that rifle is not going to go anywhere. Buy yourself a bunch of ammo and have a good time with it.

Good luck to ya and thank you for your service.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hey guys just need a quick check to make sure I'm not an a-hole...

im selling my safe queen m&p 15 sport(no forward assist or ejection port cover) with a case, 4 mags, and a Knights aramament quad rail and covers on it for 650 now zx guns sells for 600 new I know but theirs comes with a2 handguards And one mag and a box. Am
    i really so wrong in my price? The rifle has only 600 rounds down the tube with no issues...so far the best offer I've got is 550 and I feel like it's an insult the quad rail alone was around 200 and the case is a padded 2 rifle lockable case that was 50 what gives am I just that disconnected? Or am I just in my thinking?

Lots of good info on how to deal with other classifieds users on INGO above. :yesway:
    I'd take advantage of the generous offers of the original parts from the members offering them. :ingo: Put that gun back to stock at a better price.

List individual separate adds for the rail, magazines and case. You might be surprised at how well you do like this, possibly beating your original price for everything?

Lastly, be professional. Proofread, spell check and use caps appropriately in your add. With all due respect, you will get treated as you represent.

It's just me, but if I were you, I'd take full advantage of the advertising opportunity within this rant thread. Don't overdo it, but a pic of the original rifle and link to the add might well draw interest beyond the routine.

I just searched and cannot seem to find your rifle add at all? I must be blind, got a link?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom