• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    to all those commenting thank you i agree its a sellers market and while i would like the money i dont NEED the money therefore i dont have an issue with waiting to sell, while some say it is wrong to place firm in the add i actually like when people tell me firm it helps me know where the buyer is at does he NEED to sell or is he just trying to make room in the safe. are they willing to negotiate or not and while i would entertain what admittedly is my opinion based off of what i know to be a decent offer(not 550) 600 yeah 550 no funny what 50 will do huh? i once had a deal that the buyer and i disagree with over $20 and the deal wouldnt go down it just happens that way sometimes...

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The only people I truly wanna throat punch are the ones who show up to the meat and ask me to take a lower price or say they are short. Well so sorry. Kick rocks ass hole

^This^. I can't stand when people try to welch at the last minute.

I have something for sale/trade on Armslist right now. I am very specific in what my trade interests are, yet every email I've received has been for something other than what I'm looking for. Is it irritating that people can't read or choose to ignore what I wrote? Sure. But I don't let it bother me, I just say "No, thank you" and move on.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The only people I truly wanna throat punch are the ones who show up to the meat and ask me to take a lower price or say they are short. Well so sorry. Kick rocks ass hole

I send a txt before the meet to verify their phone is legit and monitored:

So we are on the same page, you are giving me an "I'll take it," as long as the product is as advertised? You are bringing the correct change in cash?

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Really "firm" should not be used in a sale. You can be firm if you want, but don't advertise it. This word is a negative and when you are marketing something, you should word your listing to entice buyers, not send them away.

I really like it when the "Firm" price is lowered within a day or 2 when it doesn't immediately sell. See it happen more and more here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I mean I know I am gonna take a hit on it but guys coming and asking "what's your bottom dollar" okay maybe it's just the DV in me but when I say 650 firm in the add anyone who asks me what my bottom dollar is already has a bad taste in my mouth but to then offer 550 after I restated 650 firm took a lot to not curse out civilian life sucks

I just sold a nicer AR for $550 with accessory's
    As others have stated....your gun, price as you see fit but a Sporter new is $550 right now with "NO" rds. down the barrel.
    The market is soft. Just how it is.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I see this same scenario at the car auction all the time. There are hundreds of cars and hundreds of people bidding on the cars, and the only ones that actually bring what they are worth, are the rare, one of a kind. Anytime you add options on to anything that it didn't originally come with, it's usually because you like it that way. To sell that same thing, you'll have to find someone that has that same like or taste you have, to get top dollar. Normally, you'll have to accept the fact, if you want to sell anything, you have to be willing to accept a lot less than you gave, or don't sell it at all.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Perhaps already stated upthread but in the current atmosphere a LOT of guys bought items during some variant of "the latest scare" so they paid a near premium price and come time to rid themselves of a safe queen find it a difficult sale. I recently bought a new M&P15-22 for, in some instances $100 UNDER the asking price of several used ones I had looked at. I didn't really want one at the time but have been wanting to do a slide fire conversion on one one of these days so saw the opportunity and took it.

It's the unfortunate nature of the beast, wait till Hillary is crowned then sell it for a LOT more than you paid for it!

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I would take it close to stock with minimal accessories.. Sell them separate. Or just deal with 550.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    +1 on that. I usually ignore ads where the seller says "firm". It tells me they aren't serious about selling and are just "trolling".

Bingo. When I see "firm", it says "I want too much, and I'm too stubborn to listen to the market".

I'll never pay more than 80% of the current new price for a used item. There are too many risks and unknowns. And the more that an item has been modified, the more concerned I become about those risks.

Just because someone disagrees with you on the value of something doesn't make them an a-hole.

Almost forgot - I appreciate the fact that a seller is willing to discuss their pricing on the forum. Too often, people put something in the classifieds and let it sit for weeks without reassessing their position. Hint: If you post a gun on INGO and it doesn't sell within a week, then your price is too high. If it doesn't sell after 2 weeks, your price is WAY too high.

Last edited:

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Have you ever tried to buy a car and the guy says x is as low as he can go. You offer less and start to walk away. Suddenly you find that's NOT as low as he can go. Sometimes it turns out he really won't go any lower, but you don't really know unless you ask. That's just the way free enterprise works.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bingo. When I see "firm", it says "I want too much, and I'm too stubborn to listen to the market".

I'll never pay more than 80% of the current new price for a used item. There are too many risks and unknowns. And the more that an item has been modified, the more concerned I become about those risks.

Just because someone disagrees with you on the value of something doesn't make them an a-hole.

Almost forgot - I appreciate the fact that a seller is willing to discuss their pricing on the forum. Too often, people put something in the classifieds and let it sit for weeks without reassessing their position. Hint: If you post a gun on INGO and it doesn't sell within a week, then your price is too high. If it doesn't sell after 2 weeks, your price is WAY too high.

Posted a handgun and an AR last Saturday. They were both sold within hours.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... Too often, people put something in the classifieds and let it sit for weeks without reassessing their position. Hint: If you post a gun on INGO and it doesn't sell within a week, then your price is too high. If it doesn't sell after 2 weeks, your price is WAY too high.

This has not been my experience. I have sold many items after weeks of bumping, some after price drops, some at the original asking price. Sometimes a seller is just looking for the right buyer.

Bumping the add at different times of the day gets exposure to different buyers. Some that don't know they are buyers until they are.

I think too often sellers don't take the appropriate time to research if their pricing reflects the current market. INGO and other forum classifieds are worth a Google to determine this, not retail, not Gunbroker, not Armslist.

Myself, I attempt to price to sell. I don't use "firm" and I don't drop the price in the add. I'll certainly negotiate, but not early in the add's life or in the thread itself. Only via PM.

I have had very good success working in our classifieds, selling and buying. IMHO, good communication is the key.
    I do have one silly outlier. Would someone please, please, please buy this: NECG Ruger Peep Sight

Last edited:

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    Don't think you an a-hole for wanting what you want out of the rifle. Personally, If I can buy a new base model rifle for less vs. a used rifle with a couple upgrades, I'm going to go with the new rifle. That's just me though. But, there's going to be someone out there who wants exactly what your selling and sees it as a really good deal, because now they don't have to spend the extra cash to get the extras on their own. If you're set on your price, ignore the other offers, and wait it out. Eventually it will sell. If your in a hurry to move it, drop the price $50-$100.

Top Bottom