• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I use CLP to clean the BCG on top of that CLP I add a thick layer of RemLube to the BCG bearing surfaces. It's thick and I figure it adds some extra protection.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    There is another thread over in the Gunsmithing forum where the consensus is that Weaponshield is the way to go. I have looked at a bunch of YOuTube videos, and I am very intrigued and impressed. I have ordered some to try out.

WeaponShield is good stuff. It's the direct descendant of FP-10, which is also an excellent lube and CLP that George Fennell created.

:yesway: :yesway: ! I climbed on that bandwagon when someone on INGO mentioned Weapon Shield was giving away their oil pen for free as a promotion, never looked back. On most bolts and rails I use a touch of their grease and thin it way down with their oil.

I also use this mix on old bath fan motors that just use bushings instead of bearings. I have a pre WWII Manning Bowman desk fan on my work bench with sloppy clearances and it runs like new with this combo.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Just for discussion, my Giessele trigger came with a sample of ALG Go-Juice lubricant. Don't think I've heard of it until then.

I got a small sample of it also when I bought a trigger. I have no idea what it costs but it seems to work just fine, have you tried it yet?

Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Mobil 1 Synthetic (10w30 to 20w50). The higher weight doesn't seem to run off as easy. And Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease where grease is needed instead of oil. The amount of R&D that's went into Mobil 1 is so much higher than any of the "wonder gun lubes." No need to spend money on fancy lubes when Mobil 1 works so dang well. None of the lubes will break down before they're packed with fouling and need replaced anyway.

I am a Mechanical Engineer with a lot of experience with lube testing and I agree 100% with seedbubs!
    I assemble the lower with Mobil shc 220 and the bcg with Mobil 1. These full synth greases are some of the slickest (lowest cf) out there and a film stays on the metal for a long time.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I got a small sample of it also when I bought a trigger. I have no idea what it costs but it seems to work just fine, have you tried it yet?
    Just a few drops for the installation. I wasn't sure if it was an oil or a liquid grease, so I opened it up. I have my own opinions and methods for lubrication, but for the most part I use "Liberty Lube" as my "gun oil". There are places I use Tri-Flo or white lithium grease, and on some things I use TetraGun CLP aerosol. I've even gone so far as to soak some parts in Zmax....

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That last post got me thinking.... I spoke to one of the engineers at Zmax several years ago asking if it's safe for wet clutches used in modern superbikes. Was on the phone with guy for over an hour. One of the things he told me was the engine and transmission treatments have one difference.... color. It was a marketing department idea. Make people think they're getting something special. Ever since, I've kept an old spray bottle with Zmax in it. I use it on hinges, lawn mower stuff, etc. It really is impressive stuff. It's why I used it on my guns. I will attest, it does make carbon cleanup very easy. Most of the time, it just wipes off. So I just decided to go on their website and wouldn't you know it..... zMAX lube and cleaner for firearms guns weapons | zMax Micro-lubricant

cncswiss1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Fishers/Noblesville
    I have had great luck with most common firearm lubricants except frog lube, that stuff glued my 458 socom firing pin in place in cold weather, i missed a deer because of it. never again! in it's defense, it WAS nice slick stuff in the hotter weather, just turned to glue in the cold. I use traditional stuff now, Hoppes etc...

my.002

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Since my Army days at Ft. Stewart in 82' to the present I run the AR bone dry. Can go about 1000 rounds before a good cleaning, but usually clean long before that. No problems out of any Colt I've had, or the M16's that we had.

You have to lube it !!!!! You may "wipe it dry", B4 shooting, but there is still lube on it .....

CLP, for me, Military also ..... willing to try new things, might try the Lucas lube next .....

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    guns now just usually get cleaned over Christmas vacation
    That's typically when mine get cleaned - if they get cleaned - each year.

After we've run out of leftover ham, A Christmas Story has run its full 24 hours, and the Cowboys get beat by the Lions, the men of the family will start coonfingering firearms and, eventually, one of us will break out a bottle of Hoppes and say, "I guess I'll run a patch down this one."

If you're in an environment where your lube freezes, that's probably one of your lesser concerns. By that time you'd be a meat popsicle
    It gets that cold here. Granted, most of us never go outside when that happens but often the dew point is high enough the frost will seize up the action and even well lubricated stuff can bind up.

Meat popsicle is right.

I was doing a Boy Scouts shoot one year in Northern Kentucky and it was so cold I couldn't feel my fingers but I was single-loading the AR for each young man to shoot. A young Scout, about 8 years old, was so excited to shoot he dropped the bolt on my finger as I was inserting the round into the chamber. He looked up at me with huge eyes and terror that could only be summed up with, "Uh oh." I said, finger still trapped in the action, "Don't worry. I can't feel it anyway." Not until we stepped into the clubhouse and I washed my hands with warm water did I remember the incident.

Korea was really cold/humid like that. There are lots of stories of GIs pissing on their guns to make them work. Between there and walking the fence in North Dakota I learned to run it bone dry when it's cold. Add a spritz of juice if needed but run it dry and clean more often. Same goes for sandy/dusty places. Luckily, here in the Hoosier we're good with running it wet 95% of the time.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Just a few drops for the installation. I wasn't sure if it was an oil or a liquid grease, so I opened it up. I have my own opinions and methods for lubrication, but for the most part I use "Liberty Lube" as my "gun oil". There are places I use Tri-Flo or white lithium grease, and on some things I use TetraGun CLP aerosol. I've even gone so far as to soak some parts in Zmax....

Just curious but what do you use tetra gun for? I used to use it constantly but have kind of strayed away from it "just because" however, I don't ever hear of many people using it.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I use turbine engine synthetic oil. And a spray moly that is used on engine fan blade pins. I work for an airline and figure if it is good for a turbine engine on an airliner, it will be fine for the temps any of my weapons will experience. I spray the moly coat on the bolt and inside the upper. A few drops of oil on the contract points and it is slicker than snot. Also have a bearing grease used on the engines that is great for slides...

I am a Mechanical Engineer with a lot of experience with lube testing and I agree 100% with seedbubs!
    I assemble the lower with Mobil shc 220 and the bcg with Mobil 1. These full synth greases are some of the slickest (lowest cf) out there and a film stays on the metal for a long time.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I only use what I used while I was serving my country, so its Milsurp CLP for me.

My sons and my brother have military experience. All three say they used CLP in their military careers. I figure if its good enough for the best military in the world, it will take care of any weapon.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just curious but what do you use tetra gun for? I used to use it constantly but have kind of strayed away from it "just because" however, I don't ever hear of many people using it.
    As a CLP, it's pretty good at C and P, not so much L. I typically use it on the inside of my pistol slides, the outside of the barrels, the outside of the guns, inside the AR upper, inside the 10/22 reciever, and my cleaning rods. I also use it on my RCBS press.....

Top Bottom