• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Well I finally purchased a M14....now the wait for it to get up here from TX.
    Back in 78' I saw one at a local gun shop...I liked....but ended up buying a
    AR15...my brother trained with one in 67' an decided I wanted one that was mostly if not all USGI an a barrel from 67'-69' when my brother served would be cool.....or even 1961...when I was born would be cool....well this one is all HR USGI parts including a 1961 barrel....after researching the s/n an talking to guys that know more than me, I believe this will be a good rifle. The s/n puts it the range when Federal Ordanance was making good receivers with USGI parts....so we will see....in a couple weeks...its been a long wait....I don't know if I will like it more than my Garands, but the M14/M1A's sure are cool looking rifles. The guy has had it since 1997, even though it was made I believe in the late 80's it looks almost like new......will post some pics as soon as it gets in.....so you guys that have Garands an M14/M1A's, which do you like better...an do you think I will like it since I love the Garand so much?

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Well I finally purchased a M14....now the wait for it to get up here from TX.
    Back in 78' I saw one at a local gun shop...I liked....but ended up buying a
    AR15...my brother trained with one in 67' an decided I wanted one that was mostly if not all USGI an a barrel from 67'-69' when my brother served would be cool.....or even 1961...when I was born would be cool....well this one is all HR USGI parts including a 1961 barrel....after researching the s/n an talking to guys that know more than me, I believe this will be a good rifle. The s/n puts it the range when Federal Ordanance was making good receivers with USGI parts....so we will see....in a couple weeks...its been a long wait....I don't know if I will like it more than my Garands, but the M14/M1A's sure are cool looking rifles. The guy has had it since 1997, even though it was made I believe in the late 80's it looks almost like new......will post some pics as soon as it gets in.....so you guys that have Garands an M14/M1A's, which do you like better...an do you think I will like it since I love the Garand so much?

Congratulations The M14 was my favorite. I never did warm up to the M16.

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    Well maybe there is still hope for me on owning one I have been wanting one for about 10 years now. maybe in another 10 ? congrats to you and will be waiting on those pictures!

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    My dad trained on them as a boot at Parris Island back in the late 60's, so they fascinated me early in my life. I got to train with them and all that fun stuff in MCJROTC back in high school, so I've wanted one badly ever since. I will be fulfilling that dream in the next 6 months. :) So grats, I just hope I get one sooner than 33 years. haha

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, the M14 has more rounds on tap than the Garand. Balistically the .308 is so close to the .30-06 that there is no real difference. I would say its a win/win situation.

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Congrats on your new rifle.

While I really like the M1A, the M1 Garand is still my favorite rifle to shoot. Having a 20 round removable mag is nice, but is only really necessary is you have a select fire rifle. Otherwise the 8 round enbloc clip is enough for me.

If you have not already done so, check out the m14forum.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Congrats on your new rifle.

While I really like the M1A, the M1 Garand is still my favorite rifle to shoot. Having a 20 round removable mag is nice, but is only really necessary is you have a select fire rifle. Otherwise the 8 round enbloc clip is enough for me.

If you have not already done so, check out the m14forum.

Yep...I've been a member over there for awhile doing research, lots of knowledge by those guys.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Congrats. on your M14 ,I grew up shooting M14 and the Garand they are beautiful rifles. I was issued the M21 later on and they are superb as well they are a M14. Have fun .

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Both the M1A and Garands are my top 2 favorite rifles with the .30 carbine right behind them. Me personally can shoot the M1A better but I would never trade or sell any of them.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Congrats! I LOVE the M1A. I, too, have been on a long self-imposed waiting list. Or, I should say, a paycheck-imposed waiting list.

Now, if only they made one in .300 WSM...

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Ok. Since I am clueless. What is the going price range for a semi auto M14?

Check out gunbroker.com New standards from Springfield are around 1400.00 an go up....after research I decided I didn't want anything new from Springfield. The Chinese versions usually run cheaper....This Fed. Ordanace I got at the buy now price for 1145.00 with shipping an transfer fee...I'll just have to see if I get a lemon, but it has all USGI parts which is what I wanted an the s/n range puts in the time frame that it should be a good receiver with parts...I'll just have to inspect it...hopefully the TE an MW will be awesome....lol...an no issues.....u just can only be so confident with gunbroker...

Top Bottom