• ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Wednesday is getting closer.

Ya an my FFL dealer is closed that day!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to check an see if its in after work on Thurs....I probably won't be able to sleep all week, this is just as exciting as when I was going over to the N.Store to buy my first Garand.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Do you have magazines DragonGunner?
    I've been putting 2 M14 mags per M16 mag pouch, cut out the divider strips. These are the old Alice gear pouches.
    I found a place that has nice bandoleers, complete with chargers.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    LnL I believe I purchased a couple op rods fromyou back in the day !
    Yes I know when the CMP had op rods for $50,triggergroups for $35, I forget what the bolts were .

Yes we have done a few deals over at M14TFL... glad to see you here on INGO.

Ive settled in on my M1As, Im not building them anymore since the increased costs in parts and ammo. But Im always looking for more MIAs w/ USGI parts though..... ;)

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Do you have magazines DragonGunner?
    I've been putting 2 M14 mags per M16 mag pouch, cut out the divider strips. These are the old Alice gear pouches.
    I found a place that has nice bandoleers, complete with chargers.

It was sold with 2 mags..but when he sent it out he emailed an said he had put 4 mags in!!!! Don't know what they are, hopefully they will all be USGI...he just put a bipod up on gunbroker...all USGI with a buy now of 400.00....My rifle got delivered today, pick up tommorrow after work...hope I don't get a speeding ticket.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    I have to say I'm jealous of all you M1A owners.

I started saving this winter for one. I finally got my .308 barrel semi auto rifle narrowed down to the M1A.

It will be a long while before I could afford a true M14. I don't know if I would pick that as my first auto firearm.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Dragon, HURRY UP AND GET HOME FROM WORK I WANT TO SEE THE M1A!!

Long day but got the rifle...we had a problem in Houston TX....literally....no joke...almost didn't get it...later story....Four mags, like new, USGI wood stock with a ton of walnut stain over birch so its almost black...I will be stripping this, no blo or to on it, excellent condition. Fiberglass stock in USGI configuration, excellent....The cool part...barrel was dated 6-61 same month an year I was born...I am stoked!!! Chamber an rifling looks excellent...will take off flash suppressor later an check MW...tilt test perfect, strong OP spring, mostly HR parts, OP Rod is Winchester I believe. No grease, which is not good. Receiver an bolt look good. Lock up is TIGHT....slow dial up had trouble an only got one picture for tonight...

picture.php

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Looks good so far! Boy you weren't kidding, she is dark. I bet your still not going to be able to sleep tonight..lol You might just have to sleep with it tonight so you can pet it(the rifle)..lol Congratulations again it looks great

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Looking good DragonGunner. No doubt you'll work your magic on the wood. Is that a vented handguard? I don't see too good when I get tired. I have some unvented HG if you're interested. I have a bunch of chamber brushes too.
    Did it come with a buttstock cleaning kit? You may have said already and I forgot.
    I bet the mags are loaded!

I looked up that "milk place" place you all were talking about, the tung oil and what not. That's sounds like a good wintertime project for me.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Heres another pic...I will be posting more as I re-do the stock for your entertainment....lol....03A3, yes the cleaning kit came with it. Going to go through it all today an tommorrow...going to strip that stain off the stock today an see what we got. The vented handgaurd is a NM, I think they stain dark to match the handgaurd....came also with a solid one....I think I'm going to look for a wooden handgaurd...an I'll will probably look for a walnut stock as well....an always keeping my eyes open for a tiger stripe one. Ordered an "HAWKS dummy kit" the other day. Its all USGI an will give it that out of the factory could be a full auto look, an fill in all the open spots in the USGI stock.

picture.php

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I only have a loaded M1A, but I have been thinking about also having a Garand for quite some time. It just seems that the Garand evolved into the M14 which was not that great when used in full auto, but a fine weapon otherwise. I have also looked at the Benellis, I think that is the manufacturer, where the Garand has been modified to accept M14 magazines.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Today the gages arrived from INGO's A303, what timing! Thanks again friend, how many guys are going to send there gages to someone they never met...anyway it closed on the NATO GO an didn't on the NO GO, was told is was good to go...so off my son an I went, it shot 40 rds of German DAG 7.62mm without a flaw!!! I did grease it up in all the vital spots, I think thios was the first time it had been done. Can't get the flash suppressor off to check the MW, with a pencil test...lol....an using it to check my other rifles that are from MW0 to MW 2.5 my guess is this is going to be around a MW of 1.5

Now I just stripped all that black stain off...there isn't a ding or scratch anywhere, an some nice grain a birch stripping came out, this is when the stock was still wet....not sure what stain I'll be using on this one....brownish...reddish....reddish brown...? I'll decide tomorrow!!! But its looking better!!!
    picture.php

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    That's amazing. It doesn't even look like the same stock. What do you use to strip with, besides lots of elbow grease?

Not to much elbow grease really..used 30 min. Paint stripper, its like a thick paste. Put on with brush, let set for awhile..if it starts to dry, aplly more to keep it wet, use a scrub brush with soft brissels, keep applying more to keep it wet....then when I think its all lifted, put in bucket of water an scrub off with water, then wet steel wool over it in the bucket as well, then cleaner water an sponge, get all the paste off, dry with towel an hair dryer if desired for quicker drying if desired....then check an re hit any spots that still have stain....If you sand after drying use anything from 100 grit to around 400....Garands are said to have around 100 grit, that way they aren't too slick...this stock doesn't look like it needs any sanding, or very lightly...if you sand, go over it with some mineral spirits, this picks up all the dust, or use a damp clothe....dry an stain is next step....

Top Bottom