• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Thanks a lot guys. After all this talk about M1A's I couldn't resist when I saw one at the LGS and plopped down a lot of hard earned $ for it. An 18" walnut "Scout". Don't know anything about them but I always dreamed of owning one and I guess today was just that day! :)

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Looking good! I like the pattern of the grain.

How do you check MW with a pencil?

I had a large dia. pencil...the eraser part would just barely start in a 1903A3 barrel that has MW0....goes in real easy in a 1903 that has MW2.5...a little snugger in a Garand with MW2.0....feeling the fit in the M14, taking a windage calculation, allowing for density of humidity an temp in the room I came to the conclusion of around MW1.0 to 1.5.

I came up with another formula today, dropping the MW gage down the barrel it stopped on the edge of the barrel, looked through the bottom of the flash hider slot an took a line reading on the gage....then dropped the gage so it went down the muzzle....took that line reading an subtracted an its a MW0.8....less than 1 !!! From the top of the barrel to the bottom of the flash hider slot is right at 3 lines on the gage...about 7/16"....so if you have a gage, drop it in an see were it is at the bottom of the flash hider slot, subtract 3 lines an you got the MW, also known as ME......I wonder if I'm the first to figure this out????? Lot easier than taking off the hider thats for sure.

Cemetery-Man...that wouldn't be a LRB....never heard of LGS.....got pics? an CONGRATS brother!!! U only live once right, an its only $$$....lol

Last edited:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Thanks a lot guys. After all this talk about M1A's I couldn't resist when I saw one at the LGS and plopped down a lot of hard earned $ for it. An 18" walnut "Scout". Don't know anything about them but I always dreamed of owning one and I guess today was just that day! :)

You will love the Scout rifle, I converted my Scout to a Bush Rifle.... took off the barrel mount.

OP: M1A looks great, and a very nice job refinishing the stock too. Congrats on the purchase.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Well after a light staining an drying I just put a 50/50 first coat of mineral spirits an Pure Tung Oil on.....hmmmm.....I worked with one other birch stock that was very light, this M14 one seems to be a darker birch....I'm not sure if I like that it turned out darker than I thought.....I was afraid that no stain might make it look to blonde....I might add a few more coats ot PTO this week an see what I think...I may re-strip it an put no stain on, just PTO an see how it looks then decide....at least its not black an you can see some nice grain...picture not the best.....when I'm finished I'm going to buy some paint an try an match the vented handgaurd with the finished stock....I never like the odd color combination of wood an plastic that I've seen on some M14/M1A's....we well have to solve that..anyway heres a pic.....if I do something different I'll post, an will post when its all back together with a pic.
    picture.php

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    OK...I stripped the stain I had put on, this is it after 2 coats of Pure Tung Oil......The birch is already on the darker side, so i think I like this better than the stain I had on it....a few more coats of Tung oil should do it...so far i like this look better, the picture is a little more "orange" than what it is, but the Tung oil really brings out the grain an detail on just bare wood....now I have a scope mount...need a scope now an checked the gas system an ordered some shims to accurize it....I'm really liking this rifle!!!

picture.php

Last edited:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Looking good DragonGunner, real good. I'm following you on this stock refinishing business and getting some good info that I hope to put to use.

Top Bottom