Major News Organizations Barred From White House Briefings???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Honest question here, no sarcasm, as I don't know the answer: how does it work when a church provides a rectory for its minister? What can s/he and can s/he not do there?

I would think the home could not be sold or any permanent and possibly defacing changes made, but what about parties? (Yes, I expect that both hookers AND blow would be forbidden! Depending upon the church, alcohol might be similarly disallowed.)

I'd guess that it would be defined as a home for his/her use, but not his/her property. So then, who says what is and is not allowed?

Blessings,
    Bill

What govt is that church an official body for?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think Bill's question is fair in the abstract. If we're going to say the WH belongs to us, that we're only providing it for the president, I think it's fair to compare the two, not saying it's a perfect analog, a church is obviously not part of government. But in the sense that in both cases the home for a leader is provided by the constituents. It's reasonable that the constituency should expect behavior of the occupants that is commensurate with living in a home that has been provided. What I get out of that is basically, don't treat it as an entitlement.

As far as who says what is allowed, I guess that would be up to the representatives of the constituency. For a church, a church board. For the WH, the congress could pass laws. But mostly, I think for the WH, it's precedence that limits decorum.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I personally think the Daily press briefing is a waste and should be curtailed. Press releases would be sufficient.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Wrong way around Kut. The analogy is that church:country. You're an intelligent man, I'm sure you can see this. Contentiousness does not become you.

As Jamil correctly answered, the point is that the rectory is the "White House" of that church, where its leader has his official residence, just as the building at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. is the official residence of the President of the US. I suppose there's no reason Trump couldn't keep that as the official residence and actually live at Trump Tower, other than the security concerns, just as the church's minister, if he has a home already, would not be required to move into the church-owned rectory. My question still stands: Who defines what is allowed in that house? The President, the Congress, the USSS, or the very vague and undefinable "decorum" and/or "tradition", or is it someone/something else entirely? Is there any governing body (say, the to-the-best-of-my-knowledge fictional "White House Management Office") that decides that at all? I think someone already answered that the church's Board of Directors, composed of some of its members, decide that for the rectory.

Blessings,
    Bill

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Who gets to decide whom will sleep in the Lincoln bedroom?

Top Bottom