Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    Man kills self during 'Zombieland” in Muncie
    Associated Press
    Posted: October 13, 2009

MUNCIE, Ind.
    Police say a 21-year-old military veteran fatally shot himself inside a Central Indiana movie theater shortly after he argued with employees over being asked to produce ID to see an R-rated film.
    Muncie police say no one else was hurt at the theater, including the man’s two brothers, a friend and eight others attending the horror comedy Zombieland.

Sgt. Mike Engle told The Star Press that officers were called to the theater about 10:30 p.m. Monday, about 20 minutes into the film’s run.
    Engle says that witnesses said he told theater workers he had killed 18 people while in the military. Engle said the man had been drinking and that one of his companions gave him the handgun just before he shot himself in the head.

:dunno:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Obviously he was in need of some serious counselling if this is true. I hope the military does a better job of following up with our young vets in the future, but I doubt it. God be with his family.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Obviously he was in need of some serious counselling if this is true. I hope the military does a better job of following up with our young vets in the future, but I doubt it. God be with his family.

I would hope so too but I don't think it's happening.

From yesterday's Indy Star;

LYNN, Ind. (AP) — An ex-Marine who served in Iraq faces multiple charges including three counts of attempted murder of a police officer after firing on officers.
    Authorities say 26-year-old Andrew Ward of rural Lynn fired four shotgun blasts at three officers Friday night at a rural farm house. No officers were hurt.
    After that weapon and another malfunctioned, officers used a stun gun to subdue him. He was being held without bond Sunday at the Randolph County Jail. He also faces preliminary charges of criminal recklessness, battery and inimidation.
    Family members said Ward was discharged from the Marines last month and is seeking disability veterans benefits for anxiety and post-traumatic-stress disorders. An older brother, also an ex-Marine in Iraq, killed himself in 2003.
    Lynn is about 65 miles east of Indianapolis.

Eiffelman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I wonder why his buddy loaned him a gun. The last thing I would want to give a friend acting upset is a gun.

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I would hope so too but I don't think it's happening.

From yesterday's Indy Star;

LYNN, Ind. (AP) — An ex-Marine who served in Iraq faces multiple charges including three counts of attempted murder of a police officer after firing on officers.
    Authorities say 26-year-old Andrew Ward of rural Lynn fired four shotgun blasts at three officers Friday night at a rural farm house. No officers were hurt.
    After that weapon and another malfunctioned, officers used a stun gun to subdue him. He was being held without bond Sunday at the Randolph County Jail. He also faces preliminary charges of criminal recklessness, battery and inimidation.
    Family members said Ward was discharged from the Marines last month and is seeking disability veterans benefits for anxiety and post-traumatic-stress disorders. An older brother, also an ex-Marine in Iraq, killed himself in 2003.
    Lynn is about 65 miles east of Indianapolis.

And let's not forget this guy in late September

The 26-year-old Iraq war veteran was armed with a rifle in the Lockefield Gardens apartments, police spokesman Sgt. Paul Thompson said.Police have not released the gunman’s name, but said he’s an Indiana National Guard member who served two tours in Iraq. The veteran has faced growing pressure: his wife filed for divorce and he was carjacked in Indianapolis on Sept. 6, IMPD spokesman Lt. Jeffrey Duhamell said.

The government really needs to step up and get these guys the help the not only need but deserve.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

The military dumps them off at the curb, and drives off real fast towards the recruit pick up point. They fend for themselves after they are out. I think that is why so many Vietnam veterans are in such a bad way. Vietnam, coupled with bad decisions and more drugs out of service has left many vets without a regular life, on a regular basis.

OTOH, the vets are also responsible for seeking help, making good sound decisions too.

It's a catch 22, for both sides; but, there is so much room for improvement.

It's a shame this has happened. He probably DID need counseling.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I wonder why his buddy loaned him a gun. The last thing I would want to give a friend acting upset is a gun.

This is my concern. What kind of friend gives his angry buddy a handgun after he has been drinking while watching a movie.

1: Hey man.. give me you pistol
    2: Oh OK. (I wonder why he wants my gun now?)
    1: Thanks....BANG!!!!
    2: Oh that is why.

:dunno:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    "From yesterday's Indy Star;

Lynn is about 65 miles east of Indianapolis."

Not to down play how sad that is for the Vet. but I say WOW and thanks to the LEO's that got fired upon by one weapon by someone who had at least 2 weapons to use and still managed to safely control the situation without injury. That is awesome.:yesway: One more alive Vet. to get a chance at help.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The military dumps them off at the curb, and drives off real fast towards the recruit pick up point. They fend for themselves after they are out. I think that is why so many Vietnam veterans are in such a bad way. Vietnam, coupled with bad decisions and more drugs out of service has left many vets without a regular life, on a regular basis.

OTOH, the vets are also responsible for seeking help, making good sound decisions too.

It's a catch 22, for both sides; but, there is so much room for improvement.

It's a shame this has happened. He probably DID need counseling.

The vast majority of Viet Nam combat veterans are successful, well-adjusted and have contributed positively to society. We just don't get any press. I think that the inaccurate portrayal of VN vets as drug using head cases is the result of TV, the movies and news media. It is a hang-over from the 60's and 70's when the left demonized VN veterans to attempt to justify their anti-war sentiments.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Any one know which theater in muncie that was. One by mall or the one by bsu. Thats that last thing you give a buddy who has been drinking. I'd stand back to back with any of mine and help them fight through whatever, but ain't no way i'm handing them my gun. Prayers go out to his family

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    The vast majority of Viet Nam combat veterans are successful, well-adjusted and have contributed positively to society. We just don't get any press. I think that the inaccurate portrayal of VN vets as drug using head cases is the result of TV, the movies and news media. It is a hang-over from the 60's and 70's when the left demonized VN veterans to attempt to justify their anti-war sentiments.

The welcome party sure was not out for the Vietnam vets for sure. I am not going to disagree with you about 'vast majority', as no one has numbers.... I'll just say this, I have very close relative who works for a VA facility...

I just hope things are swung around for the better. The rules for these guys getting help, and the hoops they have to jump through is a good reason why the .gov just simply F A I L S when it comes to legislating ANYTHING... especially healthcare.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The Muncie Star Press article I was reading today stated that three of the four young men were drinking. The man who shot himself wasn't acting upset at the time he asked to see his buddy's handgun. Two of the other three were his brothers, according to the paper. He was on leave from his second tour in Iraq, and was scheduled to go back soon. I agree that our government is pretty good about asking these young people, fresh out of high school, to put their lives on the line, but isn't very good about taking care of them later on. And that is very wrong.
    As for the young man in Lynn, I applaud our Randolph county deputies for the restraint they showed, and for keeping this one young man alive to see better days.

Top Bottom