• ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Here's an update:
    On Saturday, detectives arrested 37-year-old Jason Cooper for his alleged involvedment in the incident. He was charged with murder.
    When they arrived, officers learned that two males in the store got into an altercation. One male allegedly shot the other one in the dairy section then fled the store.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
    IMPD said the suspect carjacked a customer in the parking lot then led police on a short chase that ended at stop 11 and US 31.

Police apprehended the suspect after he crashed into several parked cars and tried to flee on foot.

Police make arrest after man shot dead inside south side Kroger | FOX59

Ouch! Right in the dairy section! That had to hurt!

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Sadly this will be about the whole extent of the 'news' story from our crackerjack news departments. For the most part real journalism is dead.

As to finding homicide rates for the city is no easy matter. Just try and see how hard it is.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do you know what happened south of you about a week ago? I was getting off 465 to go south on 31. Took me 25 minutes to get off the exit and cops were just setting a roadblock at Thompson Rd., I had to turn west on Thompson to go down 135. there were about ten or so cop cars on 31 in front of McDonalds. The one cop that got around us was flying to get there. Abusing the hell out of his car trying to get around the traffic.
    That's right around the time I saw all the cops and an ambulance at Ricker's/Steak-n-Shake. Don't remember which day it was, but I wonder if it was related? Hate to see the area going down hill. I wish they'd get rid of the crack motels there at Thompson and 31.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Sadly this will be about the whole extent of the 'news' story from our crackerjack news departments. For the most part real journalism is dead.

As to finding homicide rates for the city is no easy matter. Just try and see how hard it is.

Real journalism has been dead and buried in Indy for years. Virtually everything is sensationalized, editorialized, or just plain FUBAR. Reporting the truth has been replaced by marketing.

That Kroger was a Block's department store when Southern Plaza was opened in the '60s. Several IPD guys, including your's truly, worked part time there as security. When Block's told us we couldn't carry a gun in the store, all the police quit. The neighborhood has gone downhill but was never at the top of the hill.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I found rates for the last few years via Google pretty quickly. https://www.indystar.com/story/news...s-2016-deadliest-year-citys-history/94722218/

It's just nobody cares until the end of the year, when a record is passed, or you hit a nice round number. The media knows most murders in Indy aren't that interesting to people. They are criminal on criminal. When you get a clerk or jogger murdered, then you'll get some coverage, but for the most part there's just a blurb or nothing.

I checked the most recent email, and we are at 140 homicides. 121 are murders. 15 are justified. 6 are accidental.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Real journalism has been dead and buried in Indy for years. Virtually everything is sensationalized, editorialized, or just plain FUBAR. Reporting the truth has been replaced by marketing.

That Kroger was a Block's department store when Southern Plaza was opened in the '60s. Several IPD guys, including your's truly, worked part time there as security. When Block's told us we couldn't carry a gun in the store, all the police quit. The neighborhood has gone downhill but was never at the top of the hill.

It was a LOT better back then though. We used to walk or ride our bikes up to Southern Plaza when we were kids (back in the 60's and early 70's). That was our "mall". Never worried about any trouble back then.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Every murder is released to the media. There are no secrets, just little interest.

And yes, I could give you the exact count, but I'm on vacation.

Indy surpassed 100 homicides a little more than a month ago. This list is current as of October 17, but it looks like you have to count them up yourself.

MAP: 2017 Indianapolis Homicides - TheIndyChannel.com Indianapolis, IN

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    The Harbor Freight store there is my go to one when I get up to Indy. I am always leery stopping in at that Plaza. More so now I guess. I hope this doesn't change Kroger's gun friendly policy.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    It was a LOT better back then though. We used to walk or ride our bikes up to Southern Plaza when we were kids (back in the 60's and early 70's). That was our "mall". Never worried about any trouble back then.

I grew up, one mile west, of Adrain Orchard, we never had any trouble, at all .....

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    The per capita rate stat doesn't really reflect a city's crime magnitude IMO. I mean compare us to Chiraq, demographic, not even close. I still consider the actual amount of deaths rather than rates as a litmus test.

On this I would politely disagree in part. Otherwise comparing absolute criminal homicides doesn't mean much. One needs to ask how the per capita numbers are measured: metropolitan area or the city proper. The FBI keeps track of both for metro areas. What I would agree with is the need to dig deeper into the demographics of the murders, and not purely by race, but more by gang involvement and economic class as I believe those are the real drivers. As an aside, Indianapolis is considered one of the higher criminal homicide rates in the nation in the top 20-25. This was shocking when I discovered it. The figures I've seen show it in the top ten for violent crime; the criminal homicide numbers belie this. Chiraq, while perhaps the closest is actually safer than St. Louis, Cleveland or Detroit. Cincinnati also has major problems. The worst is probably East St. Louis, but it isn't usually listed as it doesn't have a population in excess of 200k-250k.

John

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    On tonight's news . . .
    Allegedly arguing about a cell phone. I would take that with a grain of salt (from a different section of the store). The accused shooter is in the hospital from the car crash with the vehicle he hijacked.

John

Top Bottom