• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I hope this doesn't change Kroger's gun friendly policy.
    Don't necessarily see why it would. Heck that scum that shot several people in the store a year or two ago didn't.

The per capita rate stat doesn't really reflect a city's crime magnitude IMO. I mean compare us to Chiraq, demographic, not even close. I still consider the actual amount of deaths rather than rates as a litmus test.

I'll agree and disagree. A lot depends on who/what you are comparing. For example in the last 15 yrs or so where I live the murder rate in 2 years was around 38/100k, the rate in the other years was iirc 0. In those 2 years two people were killed. The per capita rate for those 2 years doesn't reflect the crime magnitude for my town simply because of the size/rarity of murders here. Now comparing petty theft with other towns around me might be more accurate.

On this I would politely disagree in part. Otherwise comparing absolute criminal homicides doesn't mean much. One needs to ask how the per capita numbers are measured: metropolitan area or the city proper. The FBI keeps track of both for metro areas. What I would agree with is the need to dig deeper into the demographics of the murders, and not purely by race, but more by gang involvement and economic class as I believe those are the real drivers. As an aside, Indianapolis is considered one of the higher criminal homicide rates in the nation in the top 20-25. This was shocking when I discovered it. The figures I've seen show it in the top ten for violent crime; the criminal homicide numbers belie this. Chiraq, while perhaps the closest is actually safer than St. Louis, Cleveland or Detroit. Cincinnati also has major problems. The worst is probably East St. Louis, but it isn't usually listed as it doesn't have a population in excess of 200k-250k.

John

I pretty much agree. Although I wouldn't necessarily say that Cago is safer than the others, a lot depends on what area you are in in each city. And how well you know the places to avoid. As an example Indy a couple of years ago had iirc 3 or 4 out of the top 10 most dangerous neighborhoods in the US. And yes E. St. Louis is a hell hole, Gary IN doesn't get listed either and I'd say it's pretty close to E St. Louis. But I'd have felt safer there simply because I knew where to avoid.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Getting too close for comfort. I stopped In there for a few things a couple days ago.

I hear ya. Thats my goto beer stop when I need to grab some on the way home. Think I'll start strapping on before I go in. Typically I leave it in my car. (cant carry at work)

Real journalism has been dead and buried in Indy for years. Virtually everything is sensationalized, editorialized, or just plain FUBAR. Reporting the truth has been replaced by marketing.

Journalism died when ad based click revenue replaced traditional advertising revenue. Now they just clickbait us into reading their stories. Er, I mean journalism. And being a true journalist means setting your views aside and providing fact based reporting. That seldom happens these days.

Looks like it may have been an argument over a cellphone that started the fight...

https://www.wthr.com/article/witnesses-recount-shooting-inside-south-side-grocery-store

My money is on the disagreement being about whether the owner of the cell phone would give it to the shooter or not.

On a related note, that store is the poster child for how silly our liquor laws are. 40' of beer on the shelf at room temperature. 15' of cooler shelves full of hard cider. Another 20' of beer shelves. Stupid how selling that chilled cider is perfectly legal, but putting any of those beers in that cooler before selling them is against the law. SMDH

But I digress. Carry on.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I didn't know that guys had a dairy section, transgender possibly?

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    This may very well be a case of if you pull your gun then the next move better be aiming then pulling the trigger. A gun should never be used to tell someone I have a gun and will shoot you. Then again i was not there.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    8247121-720x0-c-default.png

Before Indy celebrates too much, making the top 20 isn't anything to write home about. One may ask, what cities are NOT in the top 20. A few examples:

Los Angeles
    Houston
    Miami
    Boston
    New York
    Atlanta
    Milwaukee
    Columbus
    Nashville
    Memphis...

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Before Indy celebrates too much, making the top 20 isn't anything to write home about. One may ask, what cities are NOT in the top 20. A few examples:

Los Angeles
    Houston
    Miami
    Boston
    New York
    Atlanta
    Milwaukee
    Columbus
    Nashville
    Memphis...

Interesting that out of the "top" places. 4 states have multiple cities with issues.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis

Los Angeles
    Houston
    Miami
    Boston
    New York
    Atlanta 10th
    Milwaukee 11th
    Columbus
    Nashville
    Memphis...
    Memphis 7TH

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Memphis 7TH

Missed three- geez...maybe I can't actually multitask.

The old eyes are failing me....thanks for pointing that out.

Whatever the point was, I think it still stands.

I have a trip to New York planned in a few weeks. I'll feel so much safer than going to Indy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Los Angeles
    Houston
    Miami
    Boston
    New York
    Atlanta
    Milwaukee
    Columbus
    Nashville
    Memphis...

...Memphis, Atlanta, and Milwaukee are all on that infographic...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Top Bottom