• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Lets develop a score card for wait staff. Start at 15% if the wait person is obnoxious _5%
    If the wait person ignores you -%
    If he/she gets the order wrong-%
    If he/she give you good service +5%
    If he/she is courteous and friendly +5%
    If he she generally makes your dining experience better+5%
    If he/ she makes you dining experience miserable -15%
    Restaurants could hand the card out to customers at thier table and it could be returned w/ the tip or if needed to the manager.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Oooookay! Let's see if I have this right??

You as a server have to deal with a cook/Chef who couldn't give a rat's a$$ who/what you have to deal with and may or may not care if the meal is up to par, a busser who may or may not clear tables in a timely manner thus keeping the business flow moving smoothly (or not) and dealing with a bunch of self-important, inconsiderate A$$es that feels like he is the only thing that should matter in your world no matter how busy the night is, remembering who gets what at each and every table that you wait on all shift (could as few as 4 or as many as 6 to 7 with anywhere from 2 to what? 8-10 people) and making sure that everything they ordered is on the check, taking all of the heat for the occasional poor food prep (oh yeah, you should be checking each plate to be sure that it is prepared and presented properly - which the chef should be doing in a 3 or 4 star restaurant), watching each and every table to make sure that YOUR drinks are full and that you don't require anything else. And let's not forget the occasional customer (we all know at least one person like this) for whom NOTHING IS EVER RIGHT and is NEVER satisfied. And likely doesn't tip because he KNOWS that the wait staff is overpaid.

And you have to do this for an 8 hour shift with 1 or 2 breaks (while you still have customers on the floor by the way) and spending 95% of your shift on your feet. Oh yeah, bathroom breaks.

Of the customers that you have on a given night, VERY FEW people will tip greater than 20%, Most will be in the 15-20% range, some will be like my grandparents who are from a rural community and NEVER tip over 10% and the rest will tip 0-5% ( these being a larger percentage these days given the economy). And many would be surprised at how often servers get stiffed. And you call that ?

I wouldn't want to do it. And I doubt that you would last a week.

When I sit down the tip is 15%. Where it goes from there (up, down or same) depends on the service, beginning with how long it takes for the server to recognize that I even exist. I don't expect water and menus at that instant, I just expect for you to acknowledge me. For average service you will get 15%, for GOOD service 20% and for SUPERIOR service 25%. Though these days I usually round up for average service and am usually at @ 18%. Less than average service will reflect what I the level of service was. I can't remember the last time that I didn't tip, I know that I have though.

Tips aren't just customary. They are a compliment and a thank you for good service and from the servers side should be a gauge of the level of service proffered.

Getting paid approx. 1/4 the minimum wage for having to perform the above plus tips can be tough? Sometimes the tip level sucks. Usually not, but . . .

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you have to carry all of the frickin' food out to the tables without dropping it.

First, just to be clear, I removed the reference to a particular poster, as I'm not even getting involved in that debate. I won't rise to any bait, real or artificial, I'm not a fish. That's not my intent.

Second, WHEN did you start dating our daughter? And why hasn't she brought you home to meet us? I swear we got almost that exact same answer from her earlier when she stopped by here to grab a bite to eat and a nap before going in to work her shift as a bartender/server until after midnite tonite. Almost WORD FOR WORD! I have to say that I agree with you, while I've never been a server myself, and it would confuse the heck out of me just trying to keep track of who ordered what (which is why I never entered that field of employment in the first place) she voiced the exact answer you did. And also agreed on the wrongness (yes, it's a word, I just made it up) of automatically adding a 15% gratuity. She also said that at her place of employment, SHE controls whether the 15% is mandatory nor not. She can choose to leave it on the bill, or leave it off, at her discretion. And when she leaves it off, she makes sure to let the customer know that they haven't been charged for what she feels is unfair, and that they are free to leave what they feel she deserves.

This is probably why she has so many repeat customers, who are going to miss her dearly at the end of this month, when she leaves to pursue a different career. Her next stage up the ladder at her current place of employment is Assistant Manager, and she refuses to allow that much stress into her life. She's known and seen to many who're "fat, balding, and die of a heart attack at the old age of 60", so we'll just take her word for it. Her goodbye party is the Friday before Halloween, and the worst 4 servers aren't being invited, because THEY'LL have to finally pull their own weight the next day while everyone from the party recovers from their hangovers. Ahhh to be young and carefree again.

Basically, you summed up what she told us it was like to be a server, and it's not a job I would have had the patience for. Dealing with sick, injured or dying people was far less stressful, and far more rewarding, than some of the situations she's relayed to us that she's had to cope with. And I not only didn't get tips....I rarely even got a "thank you", and frankly never expected one. I did my job, to the best of my ability, and let the chips fall where they may.

So I reiterate what I said before, we tip, almost always at the 20% mark, for greater service, a larger tip, for less service, we still leave 15%, because to do less, as Scutter put it, stiffs the people they have to share with, who DO do their jobs. But we do make our feelings known to the manager on how we were treated or neglected (both good and bad). What they choose to do from there, is up to them.

What you do, or do not choose to tip is up to you, and I'm not putting us above anyone else, just stating how WE in particular do things. No more, no less. Mandatory tipping? NO. Good service=20%. Great service=whatever we feels the "extra" warrants. Stiff a runner, busser, or anyone else that the servers are supposed to share with, who DO do their jobs? No, can't say we've ever done that. They have to live too, and eventually the servers learn, or move on, regardless.

7th Stepper

Last edited:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    But the young kids at least are respectful and clean up their own messes...

Personally I feel guilty if I tip less than 20%, no matter the restaurant. I tip a higher percentage at cheaper places or if I have my kids with me, sometimes 50% if it's $20 or less charge.

If the server doesn't seem annoyed by the enlarging mess at my kids' feet, they get even more $$

I have experienced most people my age, tip bad, are messy and inconsiderate.

But, that may be because they were spoon fed their whole lives. The place I worked at was on a lake and in the summer a lot of rich kids who never worked an hour in their life would come in.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Lets develop a score card for wait staff. Start at 15% if the wait person is obnoxious _5%
    Restaurants could hand the card out to customers at thier table and it could be returned w/ the tip or if needed to the manager.

If anyone remembers the "Third Rock from the Sun" TV series (it was pretty odd), they had an episode on understanding tipping. The video below is when Dick tries to revolutionize tipping:
    http://youtu.be/V1ZZWhSvOMI
    The episode also contained some pretty good quips such as:
    "How come you tip the guy that delivers your pizza, but not the guy who delivers your baby?"
    "It's cause you want your pizza in 30 minutes or less"

disclaimer: this is off of memory from years and years ago.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    To add another dimension to this. Maybe they want to do that to keep track of earnings to tax? Lord knows 99% of people that live on tips and make 2 bucks an hour aren't keeping track of how much money they are taking home. And are therefore lying on there taxes

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Mine is even simpler:
    Perform to expectation - 15%
    Exceed my expectation - 20%
    Fall short - 10%
    Terrible - I'll chat with the manager on the way out

Just for fun, I googled some "tip etiquette" sites (like this one United States: Tipping & Etiquette - TripAdvisor).
    15% is customary
    15-25% for exceptional

And, minimum cash wage for wait staff in California (where the OP's article is from) is $8/hr (US Minimum Wage Tipped Employees, Minimum Pay Tipped Workers, Salary of a Waiter, Waitress, Bellboy or an Employee in a Hotel, Minimum Wages Tipped Workers).

So, California wait staff are paid above the $7.25/hr minimum wage, PLUS they get to keep their tips, and they want more?

Here in Indiana we make $2.13/hr plus tips.

Just an interesting comparison.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I personally don't have a problem with leaving a generous tip, I just expect the service I'm paying for in return or in this case in advance.
    To those who worry about whether persons who get tips report them to the IRS I say that's why I tip in cash even when I pay with a card.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Wow... Min wage for waiters is $7.25 plus they want freakin' 25% of the actual bill in tips? I'm sorry, but for that much, I better get more than a freakin' good meal, super excellent service, a lap dance!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Wow... Min wage for waiters is $7.25 plus they want freakin' 25% of the actual bill in tips? I'm sorry, but for that much, I better get more than a freakin' good meal, super excellent service, a lap dance!

Have you ate anywhere other than steak and shake, ponderosa, applebees?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    no, minimum wage for service staff is something cheaper, like $3 an hour. That plus tips has to equal minimum wage (at least) I believe.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    A lot of places such as your nicer places and those that aren't chain restaurant a server does a whole hell of a lot more than take order, hand it in, serve order.

My grandfather owns a restaurant, I know what all a waitress does. The point of my post wasn't about waitress duties...

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

I believe those are the correct numbers, just out of order.

BTW, I don't think they are called waiters and waitresses anymore, not that it really matters.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Never worked in that industry, never would, but I understand how their wages and tips work. Somebody gives me a good experience (and I'm not that hard to satisfy) they sure won't regret it. If they suck so hard they ruin my experience, they're workin a hard job for not much money. I'm paying here, and I expect it to be worth paying for. You have to suck pretty hard to really deserve to be stiffed, but I've seen it more than once. Just make sure you're in the right line of work, you know? I couldn't do it, and I know that, so I don't.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    IMO, manditory gratuity is stealing.

I wonder how a resturant would feel if I decided to knock 20% off the bill because I didnt think the food or service was that good?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    no, minimum wage for service staff is something cheaper, like $3 an hour. That plus tips has to equal minimum wage (at least) I believe.
    In Indiana, it is $2.13. In Cali, $7.25. See the link I posted above. In Indiana, the employer is expected to make up the difference to minimum wage, of the tips fall short. Not in Cali.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    IMO, manditory gratuity is stealing.

I wonder how a resturant would feel if I decided to knock 20% off the bill because I didnt think the food or service was that good?

There's a small difference though...No one is forcing you to spend your money at a place that you don't agree with their policies.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Why don't they just increase the price of the meal by 25%, give that "extra" money to the staff, and state "No Gratuity Accepted" on the menu?

No pressure to provide good service. Just like Burger King.

-1, BTW.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    There's a small difference though...No one is forcing you to spend your money at a place that you don't agree with their policies.

You're right but what really ticks me off is that resturants dont advertise a mandatory gratuity. Such as BWW's wings special on tuesdays. You dont see it until you get the bill.

Now if the they had a sign that read "Gratuity is Mandatory, Guns Optional", that would be different.

Top Bottom