• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I got hit for a gratuity a couples weeks back on a TO GO order from BW3's and I didnt notice it until I got back home and called on it and was told its mandatory now if you eat there on Tues or Thurs. Problem was I didnt eat in and I wasnt happy about it.

I dont like mandatory grautity, it seems as if it takes away from the incentive to do a good job with the customers

Interesting... Aren't those cheap wings days?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why do people demand everything nowadays? Why not just have employees work with managers to get a new salary? They want massive salary for not that difficult of work.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I worked in a place for about 4 years. I was tipped anywhere from 0 (cheap asses) to 50% (people who asked for me to wait on them). Bills would range from $10-200$. I usually walked out every weekend with a couple hundred in tips. And, I was a 20 year old guy.

I guess when you're sexy, you're sexy. ;)

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I lived in Japan for 10 years, you don't tip in Japan, its considered an insult...

Just Sayin......

OMG! Let me see if I have this right, making gross noises while drinking - slurping your tea - is considered a compliment and tipping - a reward for fine service - is considered an insult?

WOW!!!! That society TRULY was and is controlled by men! I LOVE IT!!!

But, wait!! Geisha's are men!! CREEEEEEEEEPY!!! That can be one bassackwards place! :D

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    All the server has to do is be nice and keep my drinks filled. They have no control over the food and how it is prepared so I do not hold them accountable for that

Certain places the server can control things. Luckily I never worked in a chain. I would check the food before it was taken to my table to make sure it was correct and would let the cooks know if it was wrong. It saved me from having to apologize multiple times for a wrong order. A chain may be different but, places that aren't chains you have a lot more control and don't have to tread as lightly.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Define a "living wage".

That question has been asked and answered at least twice in this thread already.

and tipping - a reward for fine service - is considered an insult?

Lots of countries are like that. Tipping implies that they're working in a job that doesn't pay them enough to live on and that they have to beg for your money to cover expenses.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I got hit for a gratuity a couples weeks back on a TO GO order from BW3's and I didnt notice it until I got back home and called on it and was told its mandatory now if you eat there on Tues or Thurs. Problem was I didnt eat in and I wasnt happy about it.

I dont like mandatory grautity, it seems as if it takes away from the incentive to do a good job with the customers

Have you worked as a waiter? I can see why you are upset but, been in the position where you get a table of 18-20 people and know exactly the type of people they are you will get screwed. Big tables take a lot of time and some tables are such a pain it takes away from other tables.

18 people @ ~$12 each
    18 drinks (soda) @ ~ $2 each

18X12=216
    18X2=36
    -------
    =252 total X 7%
    =$269.64 before tip.

A lot of people eat and don't think about the bill until it comes, if someone tips 10% you get ~$27. Most tables that large you need 2 people to work it so $27/2= $13.50 per person for one hour (most of the time more) giving up multiple tables because one table is a pain in the ass. It is a way to stop the server from being screwed by *******s. Trust me, been there. Now, where I worked we had a %18 gratutiy for parties 12+ most of the time I did not add that and would make it clear to the person paying that the gratuity was not added as it was their choice. Other times I have added it on tables when I knew who they were and didn't tip well no matter what. I can see why you are upset because it is ridiculous to add gratuity for a take out. I can't even count how many times I didn't get a little tip for a take out and really didn't expect one from take out. But, a large party in general a tip will be added. With that being said when I left the gratuity off on certain people bills the tipped me 25%+. It may not be what some like to hear but, you judge people who come in and thats when we make our decision (if its more than 1 woring the table) to add the gratuity or not. I have also not added it before and was in turn given a very low tip on a very high bill. Not because of service, food because some people are just plain *******s.

Just my experience and :twocents:.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    All of us likely differ in what constitutes "good service", or service worth a tip. I have never, and will never participate in mandatory tips. Since I have to supply my own money to tip with, I get to choose when I tip, and how much I tip.

Food places mark up the food they sell, so do gun shops. Do you tip your gun dealer when you buy a new gun? What would you tell a gun dealer if he told you there would be a $10 tip required for you to buy a gun from him? Ever tried bargaining with a restaurant for the lowest price on a given meal?

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Why do people demand everything nowadays? Why not just have employees work with managers to get a new salary? They want massive salary for not that difficult of work.

Oooookay! Let's see if I have this right??

You as a server have to deal with a cook/Chef who couldn't give a rat's a$$ who/what you have to deal with and may or may not care if the meal is up to par, a busser who may or may not clear tables in a timely manner thus keeping the business flow moving smoothly (or not) and dealing with a bunch of self-important, inconsiderate A$$es that feels like he is the only thing that should matter in your world no matter how busy the night is, remembering who gets what at each and every table that you wait on all shift (could as few as 4 or as many as 6 to 7 with anywhere from 2 to what? 8-10 people) and making sure that everything they ordered is on the check, taking all of the heat for the occasional poor food prep (oh yeah, you should be checking each plate to be sure that it is prepared and presented properly - which the chef should be doing in a 3 or 4 star restaurant), watching each and every table to make sure that YOUR (hoosierdoc) drinks are full and that you don't require anything else. And let's not forget the occasional customer (we all know at least one person like this) for whom NOTHING IS EVER RIGHT and is NEVER satisfied. And likely doesn't tip because he KNOWS that the wait staff is overpaid.

And you have to do this for an 8 hour shift with 1 or 2 breaks (while you still have customers on the floor by the way) and spending 95% of your shift on your feet. Oh yeah, bathroom breaks.

Of the customers that you have on a given night, VERY FEW people will tip greater than 20%, Most will be in the 15-20% range, some will be like my grandparents who are from a rural community and NEVER tip over 10% and the rest will tip 0-5% ( these being a larger percentage these days given the economy). And many would be surprised at how often servers get stiffed. And you call that
    not that difficult of work
    ?

I wouldn't want to do it. And I doubt that you would last a week.

When I sit down the tip is 15%. Where it goes from there (up, down or same) depends on the service, beginning with how long it takes for the server to recognize that I even exist. I don't expect water and menus at that instant, I just expect for you to acknowledge me. For average service you will get 15%, for GOOD service 20% and for SUPERIOR service 25%. Though these days I usually round up for average service and am usually at @ 18%. Less than average service will reflect what I the level of service was. I can't remember the last time that I didn't tip, I know that I have though.

Tips aren't just customary. They are a compliment and a thank you for good service and from the servers side should be a gauge of the level of service proffered.

Getting paid approx. 1/4 the minimum wage for having to perform the above plus tips can be tough? Sometimes the tip level sucks. Usually not, but . . .

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you have to carry all of the frickin' food out to the tables without dropping it.

Last edited:

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I know we need something here in Muncie. I'm about to head to work for a 12+ hour shift where I will most likely not make minimum wage total in tips and $2.13 hourly, while getting no breaks at all.. In my experience, people tip 10%, not 15-20. College kids tip about 5%, high school kids about 1-3%, and adults a shameful 10% on average.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I know we need something here in Muncie. I'm about to head to work for a 12+ hour shift where I will most likely not make minimum wage total in tips and $2.13 hourly, while getting no breaks at all.. In my experience, people tip 10%, not 15-20. College kids tip about 5%, high school kids about 1-3%, and adults a shameful 10% on average.

+1 I know how the younger (my age) kids tip. It's pitiful.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Smokepole, I spent years working in restaurants so back off.

The servers want more money so they are trying to mandate that people WHO DON'T EMPLOY THEM to cough up the difference.

If I worked at Kohl's and wanted to make more for the job I voluntarily accepted, would I try to force a $5/purchase surcharge get added to each customer's check and a percentage given to me? Of course not. If they want bigger tips, work a restaurant with more expensive menu items. Of course those jobs are harder to get and you have to be better at what you do, and why bother letting the ladder of success determine how much you earn. We'll just mandate that you make more by fiat.

Please Mr Smokepole, educate me as to why my example is different.

Edit: so in a down economy you want to increas the cost of eating out by another 10%? Do you REALLY think that will increase the number of tables you get to serve? The more you tax, the less you get.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    +1 I know how the younger (my age) kids tip. It's pitiful.

But the young kids at least are respectful and clean up their own messes...

Personally I feel guilty if I tip less than 20%, no matter the restaurant. I tip a higher percentage at cheaper places or if I have my kids with me, sometimes 50% if it's $20 or less charge.

If the server doesn't seem annoyed by the enlarging mess at my kids' feet, they get even more $$

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Smokepole, I spent years working in restaurants so back off.

The servers want more money so they are trying to mandate that people WHO DON'T EMPLOY THEM to cough up the difference.

If I worked at Kohl's and wanted to make more for the job I voluntarily accepted, would I try to force a $5/purchase surcharge get added to each customer's check and a percentage given to me? Of course not. If they want bigger tips, work a restaurant with more expensive menu items. Of course those jobs are harder to get and you have to be better at what you do, and why bother letting the ladder of success determine how much you earn. We'll just mandate that you make more by fiat.

Please Mr Smokepole, educate me as to why my example is different.

Edit: so in a down economy you want to increas the cost of eating out by another 10%? Do you REALLY think that will increase the number of tables you get to serve? The more you tax, the less you get.

Hoosierdoc, you misunderstand my post. I was responding to your assessment that the job of waitstaff was not that hard of work. I did not anywhere say that I agreed with the mandatory 25% gratuity. See my view on how I determine the tip I leave at the end of my post. (Although after rereading my post I see where one may come away with that impression).

I DO NOT AGREE with any mandatory gratuity. Although after a couple of the accounts of large group tables, I am a bit more sympathetic, but I still don't like them. And when policy requires one I sure as shootin' better have a good experience. Or management will be involved. And I am not above leaving extra for VERY good service

Top Bottom