• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Well, I worked for around 12.5 hours yesterday serving. If not for 3 exceptional tippers my night would've ended in making less than minimum wage. However, three generous individuals can make or break a night/double like mine. Now, if more people believed in being even 1/4 as generous then I'd never have to worry about paying the rent on time, or keeping my cell phone one, hell even paying for my books for school out of pocket.

Take a lesson from those of us who are or have been in the industry. It isn't easy walking 10 miles a day while catering to your every need, maintaining a smile, cleaning up after your child, having 1,000 things to do that you shouldn't do, all while getting all of the important things done.

So many times people will punish me because they come in at the busiest time on the busiest night and expect to get their food in 15 minutes. Please realize, unless you're going to a fast food restaurant that things will take some time. When 30 parties have orders in ahead of you, yours doesn't take precedent. I've had people complain, the management completely comp their meal and drinks making it free, and they still don't tip. It's my opinion that some people will *****, ****, or moan to get anything they can for free with an excuse whether it's legitimate or not. To those of you like that, order pizza or go to McDonalds, please, because no one likes you. lol

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    IMO, manditory gratuity is stealing.

I wonder how a resturant would feel if I decided to knock 20% off the bill because I didnt think the food or service was that good?

Say this when you get a party of 25 people that you have to serve, with a total bill of around $300 and they tip you $2-3 total.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I would be all for doign away with tipping and giving the staff a better hourly wage.

But no one has mentioned the fact that we are going to pay for it one way of the other. If they mangament has to pay more in salaries, where do you think that extra is going to come from? Oh yeah higher food prices.

But until tipping is done away with, be a descebt human being and tip. If the service sucks, of course dont tip, but if they do their job they deserve to be compensated for it. That's just how it works. You know what you are getting into when going to a sit down type place to eat. Don't want to tip, cook your food at home or go to Wendy's.

But everyone agrees mandatory flat tips of 25% is ludicrous.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Say this when you get a party of 25 people that you have to serve, with a total bill of around $300 and they tip you $2-3 total.

I used to wait tables so I know what its like however manditory tips werent heard of then. At the places I've worked, any table with more than 10 would be handles by 2 people. Much more efficient that way.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Well, I worked for around 12.5 hours yesterday serving. If not for 3 exceptional tippers my night would've ended in making less than minimum wage. However, three generous individuals can make or break a night/double like mine. Now, if more people believed in being even 1/4 as generous then I'd never have to worry about paying the rent on time, or keeping my cell phone one, hell even paying for my books for school out of pocket.

Take a lesson from those of us who are or have been in the industry. It isn't easy walking 10 miles a day while catering to your every need, maintaining a smile, cleaning up after your child, having 1,000 things to do that you shouldn't do, all while getting all of the important things done.

So many times people will punish me because they come in at the busiest time on the busiest night and expect to get their food in 15 minutes. Please realize, unless you're going to a fast food restaurant that things will take some time. When 30 parties have orders in ahead of you, yours doesn't take precedent. I've had people complain, the management completely comp their meal and drinks making it free, and they still don't tip. It's my opinion that some people will *****, ****, or moan to get anything they can for free with an excuse whether it's legitimate or not. To those of you like that, order pizza or go to McDonalds, please, because no one likes you. lol

Why should your employer not pay you at least 8 dollars an hour?

Why does the public have to pony up more because of your employer thinking so little of you and you going along with it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I would be all for doign away with tipping and giving the staff a better hourly wage.

But no one has mentioned the fact that we are going to pay for it one way of the other. If they mangament has to pay more in salaries, where do you think that extra is going to come from? Oh yeah higher food prices.

But until tipping is done away with, be a descebt human being and tip. If the service sucks, of course dont tip, but if they do their job they deserve to be compensated for it. That's just how it works. You know what you are getting into when going to a sit down type place to eat. Don't want to tip, cook your food at home or go to Wendy's.

But everyone agrees mandatory flat tips of 25% is ludicrous.

After being in the food service industry for over 30 years the turning in of all tips by service personal is rare. It is common pratice to never turn in cash tips only those on cresit/debit cards. Don't be fooled by the whines and complaints from wait staff.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Why should your employer not pay you at least 8 dollars an hour?

Why does the public have to pony up more because of your employer thinking so little of you and you going along with it?

If the employer pays us more, you pay more. Either way it's the same. Honestly I would rather be paid hourly to equal what I make now, that way people like Hotdoger can't say I'd prefer tips so I can lie on my taxes.

Hotdoger, you should well know that that system has been in place for a very long time and is too difficult to audit no matter what. However some systems like the one at my work kind of force you to be honest. Our tips are calculated everynight by computer that shows our overall sales, number of tables and guests, and calculates what you should be tipped and most nights I don't even make what the computer suggests at 11%.

As I've given examples, the system isn't perfect because I've had plenty of tables to prove it otherwise that people don't tip and expect extraordinary service and expect themselves to come first every time they dine out. If I have 5 tables, I want to treat them all well, but don't complain that I'm not refilling on time because the 17 year-olds at my other table are sucking down waters every 2 minutes. Most people only take Ol' #1 into consideration, and not everything else going on.

Top Bottom