• ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is sad.
    No reason why the county is having a crime boom. We (justice system) are teaching problem youth or youth that made a bad choice, that there really isn't any consequences for making those choices. Most of them already have absent parents so they arent getting in trouble at home either. So they commit crimes and get off completely free. Makes sense they become repeat offenders.
    This was possibly more prevalent in the past than it is today, especially in smaller towns.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This is sad.
    No reason why the county is having a crime boom. We (justice system) are teaching problem youth or youth that made a bad choice, that there really isn't any consequences for making those choices. Most of them already have absent parents so they arent getting in trouble at home either. So they commit crimes and get off completely free. Makes sense they become repeat offenders.

The county is not having a crime boom. The usual suspects in the usual areas are having a crime boom. Business as usual.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    They already stated that smoking it will still get you a trip to jail, as it is still illegal, and any other bonus charges they can accrue due to that joint will keep you there.(for a couple days at least)

Might be an uptick of people carrying in their cars now... because why not? They are not going to get prosecuted for it.
    It would seem that there "might" be an uptick in "I smell weed, mind if I search your car?" instances as a result looking for that "other" violation.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I have my suspicions this is just a way to make the stoners more comfortable carrying it around. After they’re all caught and arrested, I foresee the prosecutor saying “syke!” and prosecuting them anyways.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have my suspicions this is just a way to make the stoners more comfortable carrying it around. After they’re all caught and arrested, I foresee the prosecutor saying “syke!” and prosecuting them anyways.
    I can assure you with 100% confidence that the Marion County Prosecutors Office is not making those kinds of strategic decisions

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    This is sad.

CRIME BOOM !!
    Screenshot_20191002-135945.png

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2019/09/30/new-fbi-data-violent-crime-still-falling

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How do all of these common hoards of pot smokers pass an employment drug test? Get a LTCH? Buy a firearm?

I remember being this naive. :):

Oh yeah, but that was way before drug testing and drug specifications for carrying and purchasing firearms, right? ;)

Do we think they just made those things up to pick on folks who partake in the "victimless crime?" :dunno:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Oh yeah, but that was way before drug testing and drug specifications for carrying and purchasing firearms, right? ;)

I have been in my current job for 6+ years and have never been drug tested. Also have never had to pass a drug test to get an LTCH or buy a firearm.

Do we think they just made those things up to pick on folks who partake in the "victimless crime?" :dunno:

Yes. Absolutely. Unless they are going to apply the same standards to raging alcoholics regarding LTCH, employment and firearms purchases.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, lying on a 4473 is a felony.

11. e. "Are you an unlawful user of....marijuana...?"

I would note that every user of MJ in the U.S. would have to answer this "yes" to be 100% truthful, though the "knowingly" mens rea requirement may not be met with people who are not aware that they are breaking federal law regardless of what their state law is.

...but I am sensing that this one item alone doesn't form the basis of that many prosecutions in the federal system.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

Why the quotes around 'victimless crime'. ?

If adult A buys a joint from adult B then goes home, smokes said J and watches cartoons. Who's the victim here?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So now we’ve gone from magazine restrictions to sanctuary cities, which is another irrelevancy. Immigration law is the purview of the federal government, it is not up to local officials to enforce. In fact, locals do not even have the authority to enforce immigration law.

If you agree that there should be some discretion, then what is your point? The measure of what discretion is acceptable is obviously the question of whether it infringes on rights or not.
    Well to be fair, local officials really don't have the authority to legalize marijuana either, since it's still illegal at the federal level. "Legalization" at the state level is basically telling the feds, "We're not going to enforce federal law."

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well to be fair, local officials really don't have the authority to legalize marijuana either, since it's still illegal at the federal level. "Legalization" at the state level is basically telling the feds, "We're not going to enforce federal law."

Well, they never had to enforce federal law, but until recently, there were, in addition to the federal law, state laws against it in every state. All the states can do, and many have done, is remove their state laws criminalizing pot...which, as you not, doesn't make it "legal".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I didn't start the employment drug testing that some companies do. Nor did I get the marijuana use question on the 4473 that makes you a felon to lie on. What does a felony do to your LTCH?

Looks to me like someone thinks that is that this "victimless crime" is no such thing. :dunno:

I don't care one bit if some of y'all want to smoke pot. Go ahead and get it legalized, 4473 requirements changed and the felony that will take your LTCH will not be an issue.

Go ahead, power to you!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom