• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You would still have that question on the 4473 form. So I don't see myself trying legal weed I like my weapons too much.

They might take it off the form if it were no longer illegal. But I agree, if they didn't, I wouldn't want to let something dumb get in the way of owning guns. Also, I'm addicted to guns, can't afford a pot habit too.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The problem I have with legalization is measuring a way to determine a driver's level of intoxication. Until there is a way to set a level at when someone should no longer be driving like there is with alcohol, I am hesitant to support legalization.

I'll bet we could solve that problem if we devoted 10% of our current enforcement budget to developing the tech. Also, they do blood tests already. Surely we can work with that.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Uh.....we still can’t even buy alcohol on Sunday here. Indiana will be one of the last holdouts.

Too many people getting paid to keep it illegal. Police, courts, jails, prisons, rehab, etc... It’s BIG money.

Should it be legalized? Yup. Anyone that says no is an anti freedom racist bigot right wing zealot.....add purple wherever you think necessary.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    As far as decreasing crime.....criminals are going to criminal. They’ll just move onto pushing meth, sex trafficking, etc...

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    You would still have that question on the 4473 form. So I don't see myself trying legal weed I like my weapons too much.

I wouldn't see that being a problem.........it says UNLAWFUL user. Really no different than the 10,000's of people who are prescribed pain killers but not considered dope heads because a Dr. prescribed it, and still check no.

Always cracks me up when I hear older people talk about "these young dope addicts" when most of them are taking and addicted to pills. You can have 2 guys, taking 120 pain killers a month....one gets them at a Dr. and the other gets them on the streets....but the one who gets them from the Dr. is not an addict. Never figured that out.

Last edited:

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    The problem I have with legalization is measuring a way to determine a driver's level of intoxication. Until there is a way to set a level at when someone should no longer be driving like there is with alcohol, I am hesitant to support legalization.
    I worry more about people driving while texting. Not a day goes by where I dont have somebody crossing the center line while texting. Maybe I am wrong and they are looking down and filling their bong or something but I dont think so.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I wouldn't see that being a problem.........it says UNLAWFUL user. Really no different than the 10,000's of people who are prescribed pain killers but not considered dope heads because a Dr. prescribed it, and still check no.

And, the 10,000's of others who smoke weed every day, but know that you don't have to pee in a cup for a gun purchase, and who also check "No".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We have a huge problem in this country with the acceptance of chemically altering people's mental status. We need no further and we need to shame the common practice of what is already legal.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan

States can legalize it and the feds may look the other way but it is still unlawful activity to them.

And, the 10,000's of others who smoke weed every day, but know that you don't have to pee in a cup for a gun purchase, and who also check "No".

So true.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

And lets not forget the 100,000's who drink daily, since alcohol is a depressant......or daily coffee drinkers and energy drink drinkers........ since it is a stimulant.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    After watching several close family members flush their lives, family's and careers down the toilet with substance abuse. And even had a cousin murdered as a innocent bystander over a pot deal gone wrong, nope, won't get much support from me and most of my family.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    One easy way to look at it is, look at how alcohol prohibition played out. Then look how this is playing out.

It's really only a matter of time.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Pot legalization is like a modern day prohibition. States are finally seeing through smoke that big brother has been pumping out their ass for the past 80 years, and it’s paying off. Colorado doesn’t even know what to do with all their extra money.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]I’m sold on pot in more than one way, but it’s a no brainer in the finance department. Legalize it and reap the benefits.[/FONT][/FONT]

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, sure, legalize it. And make any abuse of it and impact on others as serious as the impact. Make it so for all things. Get stoned/drunk whatevs and kill someone while driving? Death penalty, no other option, no more second chances then you gave the other person. And make it by crushing...no more cruel and unusual than what you did to others. Cripple them? Guess what you get.

And just QFT about the evils of tobacco.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Does it reveal anything about myself that when I clicked on this thread I thought it would be about a new spider-man movie?

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I realize that this thread could go awry but I was talking to a coworker today and thought I'd ask for INGO's take on the discussion. If it gets out of hand or nobody wants to discuss it, oh well, I just thought it was an interesting opinion.

Do you think marijuana will ever be legalized federally?

My coworker argued that it should be, and treated just like alcohol. When you break it down, it starts to make sense, at least to my non-LEO and non-physician brain. A couple of her arguments:

Violence/Crime- If you could just go buy weed at 7eleven, I would think there would be a lot less risk of violence since you no longer have to meet someone who is likely into other nefarious activities in a secretive place to get it. The hard core dealers may stay in business, but they would surely lose some customers. It would also help clear out some of our justice system of people who are otherwise law-abiding citizens and free up a portion of our War On Drugs assets to be made better use of elsewhere.

Money- If weed were taxed like alcohol, I could see a ton of revenue which always seems to be necessary for this country.

Kinda that.

Most murders in Marion county are weed related so it would cut those down if not eliminate entirely. The issue with “War on Drugs assets”comment is that removing weed as a revenue stream will not convince criminals to to straight. They will move to a new illegal enterprise and law enforcement will shift accordingly. Weed is taxed at almost 50%. Colorado moved 25% or so of that tax revenue to public schools as marijuana markedly increased the drop out rate and test scores dropped as well. Breathing any burning plant material is carcinogenic. In Colorado those driving impaired on marijuana increased 147% since legalized.

Im fine with legalization as long as we set potency standards and have reliable testing for driving under the influence. I would also like FDA studies on the associated risks, so we’re not stuck paying for a generation of high school dropouts with lung cancer who heard Cannabis was some miracle zero-side-effect drug on the internet. I do enjoy the idea of removing a criminal’s revenue stream.

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    And lets not forget the 100,000's who drink daily, since alcohol is a depressant......or daily coffee drinkers and energy drink drinkers........ since it is a stimulant.

Alcoholics seem to function better in society than people that smoke dope every day. I have yet to make a traffic stop on a really nice car, in a really nice neighborhood on a person with a really nice job thats been smoking weed. Im sure there are some out there that do it but its not even close to the norm of weed smokers.

Top Bottom