• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Kutnupe, to answer your scenarios, I don't think many of us would have a problem with asking for voluntary compliance, or by them using detective skills to obtain Probable Cause, and then proceeding with legitimate searches and detentions.

Searches and detentions before meeting that minimum standard are simply unacceptable.

Agreed. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, there is a clearly defined way to detain people.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kutnupe, to answer your scenarios, I don't think many of us would have a problem with asking for voluntary compliance, or by them using detective skills to obtain Probable Cause, and then proceeding with legitimate searches and detentions.

Searches and detentions before meeting that minimum standard are simply unacceptable.

I agree with this, and bet the PD is going to get sued into the poorhouse. It such a insanely remote chance that something like this ever happens in an officers career, I wonder if somebody just panicked and made a snap decision. I don't think this is a situation of someone intentionally going JBT on the public. I think hearts were in the right place, and no attention to mind (ie the legalities of the situation) was paid.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I agree with this, and bet the PD is going to get sued into the poorhouse. It such a insanely remote chance that something like this ever happens in an officers career, I wonder if somebody just panicked and made a snap decision. I don't think this is a situation of someone intentionally going JBT on the public. I think hearts were in the right place, and no attention to mind (ie the legalities of the situation) was paid.

I absolutely agree with you.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

I think a new shift commander wanted to play 'hero for the day' and take his Cops and Robbers fantasy for a spin in the real world.

I have no basis for this, just thought it was funny. (and possibly true :shady:)

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I think hearts were in the right place, and no attention to mind (ie the legalities of the situation) was paid.

I think that could be part of the problem...just like range time helps to build muscle memory, I think more frequent (occasional :dunno:) legal training/review would build a stronger reflex against doing things that are so blatantly unconstitutional as this.

Serious question for all LEO out there (not just putting Kutnupe & Car-mel by th' crick on the spot)...how often do you and your fellow LEO discuss/review constitutional issues...is it in passing, part of official departmental policy....

Discuss among yourselves...
    Coffee_Talk_Linda_Richman.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think that could be part of the problem...just like range time helps to build muscle memory, I think more frequent (occasional :dunno:) legal training/review would build a stronger reflex against doing things that are so blatantly unconstitutional as this.

Serious question for all LEO out there (not just putting Kutnupe & Car-mel by th' crick on the spot)...how often do you and your fellow LEO discuss/review constitutional issues...is it in passing, part of official departmental policy....

Discuss among yourselves...
    Coffee_Talk_Linda_Richman.jpg

I do it ALL the time. Whenever something big hits the media, I'm one of the first to bring it up.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I do it ALL the time. Whenever something big hits the media, I'm one of the first to bring it up.

Good on ya for that.

Anyone out there have a department that reviews Terry v. Ohio, or any other rulings/Amendments/laws pertinent to stops...with or without a media storm?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    They found the robber. That means they'll call this a "success" and use it as a valid reason why this sort of egregious abuse of power should not only be allowed but encouraged. After all, the ends always justify the means, right?

Everyone involved with this travesty should be fired for civil rights violations.

THIS!

They should also be personally fined as well.

It's absurd to think they didn't even know the gender of the suspect or car they were driving.

People laugh when I use terms like "Slaves" and "Police state".

If this isn't proof, I have no idea what would be... aside from maybe a whip or swastika.
    :xmad:

Top Bottom