• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    I'm not a fan of prepaying with no refunds, but by all means I say keep doing it. I too think the pros outweigh the cons. I really like how it helps the overall match flow.

I wish you could withdraw and PS keeps your $$ as a credit that can be applied to the next match. And its doable as long as PS waits and batches the club's payment when the registration closes. They just send over the $$ of the shooters that didnt withdraw and keep the funds of those who did until they register for the next match. But I wont hold my breath for that feature.

Actually you can do refunds via practice score and the payment processor strip. I actually had a couple folks drop out on a match I had earlier in the month and they emailed a day or two ahead of time and there was an extra check-box that said "refund match fee" that i checked and I confirmed with the end user they did in fact get there refund. No refunds could just be a match director ignorance thing on how to use handle it via practice score.

In fact - given multiple comment on this point I am going to include extra verbiage in my next match posting so everyone understand refunds will be issued upon request if they cannot make a match.

Last edited:

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I have shot SC all year and have not seen a drop in attendance in some matches it has increased. The matches I am involved in we request preregistration. Fees are collected at the match. The money end of it is part of the job.
    We set a time for the shooters meeting if you are not signed up by then you don't shoot. There has been a few times people came late and went home mad because they couldn't shoot the match. The next match they get there early. Funny how that works like training kids.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Covid is a non-issue for me, I'm off my routine of one IDPA and one 2-gun match per month due mainly to ammo cost/availability issues and excessive work scheduling.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm okay with pre-registration and even pre-payment online. But only if I can get a refund or credit if I have to cancel. One could put a cut off time if my spot is preventing someone else from getting on a squad.

Heck I have to do that at my gym. If I don't cancel a personal training session within a certain period of time prior to my scheduled time, I lose the workout.

To me though these kind of policies are only necessary if whatever you are doing is filled to capacity and someone is on a wait list to get on and/or someone loses money because you don't show and could have given someone else your spot.

My dentist dings me $25 if I fail to show up for an appointment.

It's the way commerce is going.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I have seen a lot of withdraws due to lack of ammo and reloading supplies. This would be my number 1anyway. I know there are some Covid concerns that are also effecting it.

I have also seen a lot of shooters looking to shoot and looking for info. I think we need to get more out of the box with marketing the matches.

I also know that a $5 walkup charge at a match kinda ticked me off. It's just silly. But so is the world we live in lately.

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    Maybe central Indiana has been seeing a decline in attendance, but here in the western part of the state (Terre Haute) we have seen a steady increase in shooters at our Steel Challenge Events. We ask shooters to pre-register for our events, but we do not require payment. You pay when you arrive at the match and confirm what divisions you are shooting. 3 to 4 years ago we would see 40 to 60 guns shoot our Steel Challenge matches, but our numbers have steadily been on the rise. We had 100 guns at a steel match in January. Our AREA 5 match in June saw 366 guns entered. We understand that circumstances arise and that sometimes folks that pre-register can not make the match. That's ok. Just try to email or call us so we know you will not be attending. We have seen a decline in attendance at our last 2 matches and I do attribute that to Covid-19 concerns, lack of readily available ammo and maybe schools resuming. I try to encourage new people to attend a match, and not just steel challenge but also USPSA, IDPA, 3Gun and others. We offer several different types of matches here (Riley Conservation Club). I have even sold ammo to new shooters attending our matches at my cost. I am fortunate to have a decent supply of .22LR ammo and don't mind helping a new shooter come enjoy a match. Just my 2 cents, I' will be happy when/if things ever return to what I considered normal, like they were 8 months ago.

All,

A trend we have been seeing here in central Indiana is a sharp reduction in competitive shooting sports attendance across the board. As a match director I'm trying to understand what is driving this? Is it COVID concerns? Ammo shortage?Match fees? Lack of interest? Etc.

I would be interested in hearing individual stories on this.

Thanks

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I have also seen a lot of shooters looking to shoot and looking for info. I think we need to get more out of the box with marketing the matches.
    This is probably the best answer. The usual crowd has been cut in half (for just about ALL kinds of activities), for a multitude of reasons. In today's reality, we all need to reach a broader base than we did in the past. Membership newsletter/emails do not grow the number of participants.

New blood is needed, and most aren't actively seeking our events. Yet even if they ARE actively seeking us out, for a large number of clubs/groups/orgs, the current information about how to get involved is missing/outdated/hidden.

I also know that a $5 walkup charge at a match kinda ticked me off. It's just silly. But so is the world we live in lately.
    Coming from the other side of a different table, that "walkup" surcharge is usually just to encourage folks to pre-register. Get a general count & participant info collected beforehand.

Even when pre-registration is FREE/no-risk, without that "discount" many regulars just won't bother to pre-register.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    In today's reality, we all need to reach a broader base than we did in the past. Membership newsletter/emails do not grow the number of participants.

New blood is needed, and most aren't actively seeking our events. Yet even if they ARE actively seeking us out, for a large number of clubs/groups/orgs, the current information about how to get involved is missing/outdated/hidden.

One thing that could help would be when posting videos to YouTube, post some of the mortals that are shooting. Not just the guys that compete with Rob Leatham and Jerry Miculek.:)

Man, people see that and are like, "no way can I do that"! They finish a stage before I'll have my gun out of my holster!:):

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I honestly believe that there are people who like to compete and push themselves and there are others who don't. The others want to go to their local range and shoot their guns and have a little fun, and that's fine. No discount, no advertising is going to change their minds.

Me on the other hand, I enjoy the challenge, I have shot with some of the best in the country. I love to watch them and talk with them, but I know, I'm never going to beat them. But I will come back and try the very next match. I have many shooting friends that shoot on my level and we enjoy trash talking each other and occasionally betting a coke or a $1 on the outcome for fun.

I do encourage others to shoot, but most of the time, it falls on deaf ears. I tell them, you are shooting with others, but you don't necessarily have to feel like you are shooting against them. Have fun, track your own progress and most importantly, learn safe gun handling, learn how to operate your weapons better, learn how to care for your weapons. Socialize with others who have a passion for guns and shooting.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I honestly believe that there are people who like to compete and push themselves and there are others who don't. The others want to go to their local range and shoot their guns and have a little fun, and that's fine. No discount, no advertising is going to change their minds.

Me on the other hand, I enjoy the challenge, I have shot with some of the best in the country. I love to watch them and talk with them, but I know, I'm never going to beat them. But I will come back and try the very next match. I have many shooting friends that shoot on my level and we enjoy trash talking each other and occasionally betting a coke or a $1 on the outcome for fun.

I do encourage others to shoot, but most of the time, it falls on deaf ears. I tell them, you are shooting with others, but you don't necessarily have to feel like you are shooting against them. Have fun, track your own progress and most importantly, learn safe gun handling, learn how to operate your weapons better, learn how to care for your weapons. Socialize with others who have a passion for guns and shooting.

This describes my brother. He has a group of friends that they actually formed a team/squad, "old farts who can shoot" or something like that. He likes the competition. He likes the comradery. He knows he will never run with the big dogs but he inches his way up the classifications in the different divisions. He just has fun.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Coming from the other side of a different table, that "walkup" surcharge is usually just to encourage folks to pre-register. Get a general count & participant info collected beforehand.

I think to encourage pre-registration they should make it a $5 discount, instead of a $5 penalty for not registering.
    It's kinda the same thing, but it will probably be received better.

BMWmojo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2020
    Zionsville
    My guess would be ammo shortage and COVID. Although I’m guessing ammo shortage more than the COVID risk. I haven’t been able to find ammo for over a month. With all that said, the only pistol league I know of is Tim’s action pistol. I’ve heard of others but don’t know how to sign up/attend.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    Ammo supply is definitely a big concern. Not knowing if I will be able to replenish after a match or practice session has limited my participation in some events. Reschedules due to Covid changed my plans for a few things as well. My ability to get away for a day is always a challenge too.

I think some shooters are afraid of the idea of competition too. They don't see it as a challenge against themselves but as a competition with the Open Class Grandmaster. Definitely getting more knowledge out there would help.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    My guess would be ammo shortage and COVID. Although I’m guessing ammo shortage more than the COVID risk. I haven’t been able to find ammo for over a month. With all that said, the only pistol league I know of is Tim’s action pistol. I’ve heard of others but don’t know how to sign up/attend.
    On Facebook. Search USPSA@ACC then ask to join. You will get notified of matches, practices and more.
    Also AtlantaConsetvationClub.com has a calendar of all our events.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    The Wuflu is not something I worry about much even tho I am in the age/high risk group. Ammo is my problem, hard to find and since I moved to Indiana this spring haven't got my reloading set up going yet. Jim.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    When level one matches begin requiring pre registration on practiscore, I tend to lean toward staying home. I hate practiscore.
    If prepayment becomes a requirement. I'll move on to other activities.
    I rarely shoot major matches unless I work them. The reason isn't money,ammo or the Wuhan Flu. Its having to dick around with practiscore that turns me off.

Top Bottom