• ...and so much more!
  • blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    Large matches require money to put them on the ground. That money comes from match fees. These matches have a date that allows refunds to that date then no refunds. Usually 2-3 weeks out from the start of the match. Practiscore charges a fee to collect and refund money. My match and many others charge a $10 fee for refunds. Never heard of a local club collecting money without refunds.
    River man likes practiscore and tablets no matter what he says
    Having been involved in this sport since 1991 late summer/early fall traditionally has the lowest attended matches.

Last edited:

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    My guess would be ammo shortage and COVID. Although I’m guessing ammo shortage more than the COVID risk. I haven’t been able to find ammo for over a month. With all that said, the only pistol league I know of is Tim’s action pistol. I’ve heard of others but don’t know how to sign up/attend.

You are literally posting in the best place to find out about matches in Indiana

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    You are literally posting in the best place to find out about matches in Indiana

And yet, I expect that one sees 50% or less active matches posted here.
    That includes the "Oh this is happening THIS/NEXT weekend." match postings.

Most of us need a bit more notice, whether that's work/family or other hobby obligations.
    Especially when that match would involve traveling 3+ hours.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    And yet, I expect that one sees 50% or less active matches posted here.
    That includes the "Oh this is happening THIS/NEXT weekend." match postings.

Most of us need a bit more notice, whether that's work/family or other hobby obligations.
    Especially when that match would involve traveling 3+ hours.

Here's what I have. Most clubs shoot on a monthly schedule.

SOUTH CENTRAL

1st SUNDAY

USPSA

SILVER CREEK Sellarsburg

USPSA 2nd SUNDAY

ORPCI STEEL 2nd Saturday

ORPCI USPSA 3rd FRIDAY and SATURDAY

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    All right guys, you’ve about got this noob talked into attending my first match.
    I have been shooting since 2012 but my experience with competition is limited to watching misc videos on YouTube and shooting a friendly ‘3 gun run’ at a buddies place w 4 friends a few years ago.
    That said, I’m not sure what I’d be signing up for or which gun(s) to bring.
    As for gear I have holsters, belt, ears/eyes, etc.
    I live near Anderson and don’t mind traveling a bit.
    Im open to suggestions...

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    All right guys, you’ve about got this noob talked into attending my first match.
    I have been shooting since 2012 but my experience with competition is limited to watching misc videos on YouTube and shooting a friendly ‘3 gun run’ at a buddies place w 4 friends a few years ago.
    That said, I’m not sure what I’d be signing up for or which gun(s) to bring.
    As for gear I have holsters, belt, ears/eyes, etc.
    I live near Anderson and don’t mind traveling a bit.
    Im open to suggestions...

What kinda shooting you like?

For some reason this forum acts like action pistol is all that exists. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I shoot steel plates at home. I mainly shoot a PPQ M1 or a P80 ‘Glock’ 17 w comp and a red dot. Don’t own any revolvers.

You are set. Might just need some mags. You are within driving distance of Atlanta Conservation Club, which shoots pretty much all the action disciplines that can be shot in modern clothing. Easiest bet would be a Steel Challenge match. Take any pistol caliber centerfire or rimfire semi auto you own which you have 5 detachable magazines for (or revolver with speedloaders), either rifle or pistol, and you're in business.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    What kinda shooting you like?

For some reason this forum acts like action pistol is all that exists. Not that there's anything wrong with it. You are within driving distance of Atlanta Conservation Club, which shoots pretty much all the action disciplines that can be shot in modern clothing. Easiest bet would be a Steel Challenge match. Take any pistol caliber centerfire or rimfire semi auto you own which you have 5 detachable magazines for (or revolver with speedloaders), and you're in business.

Okay, I’ve heard of Atlanta but never been up there. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Okay, I’ve heard of Atlanta but never been up there. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!

Make sure you take your pistol in a case or gun rug with no ammo with it. Tell them you are new and not sure of the procedures at sign up, they should pair you up with someone that will show you the rules. You will un bag your pistol and holster it at a designated area, and there is no ammo allowed at that area.

Edit: I forgot have fun.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Make sure you take your pistol in a case or gun rug with no ammo with it. Tell them you are new and not sure of the procedures at sign up, they should pair you up with someone that will show you the rules. You will un bag your pistol and holster it at a designated area, and there is no ammo allowed at that area.

Edit: I forgot have fun.

Perfect! Looking forward to it!

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Large matches require money to put them on the ground. That money comes from match fees. These matches have a date that allows refunds to that date then no refunds. Usually 2-3 weeks out from the start of the match. Practiscore charges a fee to collect and refund money. My match and many others charge a $10 fee for refunds. Never heard of a local club collecting money without refunds.
    River man likes practiscore and tablets no matter what he says
    Having been involved in this sport since 1991 late summer/early fall traditionally has the lowest attended matches.

Actually I don't like it at all:):

To whomever posted about when matches take place

The USPSA/Steel challenge website https://uspsa.org/find-a-club is a good place to start.

off the top of my head

USPSA

1st sunday of the month

South Central gun club
    Freetown IN

2nd Sunday

Warsaw and sellersburg

3rd Sunday

WVPPS Riley Indiana

4th Sunday

ACC Atlanta

I think Wildcat , near Lafayette shoots the 3rd Sunday.

Most of these places have a steel match on another weekend.

I'm leaving a bunch out, someone will fill in the blanks

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Actually I don't like it at all:):

To whomever posted about when matches take place

The USPSA/Steel challenge website https://uspsa.org/find-a-club is a good place to start.

off the top of my head

USPSA

1st sunday of the month

South Central gun club
    Freetown IN

2nd Sunday

Warsaw and sellersburg

3rd Sunday

WVPPS Riley Indiana

4th Sunday

ACC Atlanta

I think Wildcat , near Lafayette shoots the 3rd Sunday.

Most of these places have a steel match on another weekend.

I'm leaving a bunch out, someone will fill in the blanks

1st Saturday is uspsa in Brookston (Lafayette area) Wildcat rifle and pistol club

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    For me this summer it’s mainly been home/family activities making it hard to get away, but second to that is trying to conserve ammo since I haven’t been able to buy any since before March.

Pre-registration-only matches are also mostly a no-go for me as well. I understand the reasoning for limiting squad size for coronavirus, but I usually don’t know if I can make a match until the night before, or for weeknight matches sometimes not until I’m leaving the office the day of the match. I don’t want to take a slot and then not show up, so if I can’t walk-up and register right before the match then I’m out. So I hope matches go back to walk-in registration after the pandemic is over.

For newer shooters I think the ammo availability is an issue, and also just knowing about the matches. I’ve had several coworkers ask me about the matches I shoot and I try to steer them to this forum, but the sea of acronyms in the thread titles is daunting. I know some of the ranges have schedules on their web pages, but as someone else said they’re often out of date and especially this year it is not always clear if a match is really on or not. A beginning of the season thread here with all of the match dates for the year would be helpful, and put the city in the title, not just the range name. I don’t know if one thread per match type, or one thread per range would be better. (Maybe an “index” thread for the range that links to a thread per match type...)

On the topic of getting more new shooters into the sport, I think the best thing (aside from experienced shooters bringing a newbie along to mentor them) is more “Intro to <sport>” classes like the ones Coach does. The coworkers that asked me about the matches were not so comfortable just walking into a match and either wanted to go watch me shoot one first, or wanted to do the class first. Make it the day or week before the first matches of the season at that range, same cost as the non-member entry fee (like $20), and explain the safety rules, how it’s scored, classes/divisions, and what equipment you need; then do one stage live-fire with them.

stagehand steve

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    Coatesville
    Personally, it has been ammo shortage (not wanting to use up my stash) and downturn in income. All my practice has been with .22LR lately.

It's a really a shame because I have much more available time to shoot.

== stagehand steve ==

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Our USPSA match attendance has been up ~30% consistently all year.
    I attributed it to 1) adopting pre-registration* and 2) major match cancellations.
    :dunno:
    -rvb

* note for riverman, we don’t REQUIRE pre-registration, feel free to come sign up in person.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Our 22 long range rifle matches have had good attendance. Round count is about 75, we shoot 2x a month. With another practice session in between matches, two bricks of quality ammo can last 4 months. And because you're shooting matches, the fun factor (time spent shooting, spotting, conversing with other shooters) is about 40 hours. Pretty easy on the budget, and 4-5 bricks can last all season.

Top Bottom