• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It is bizarre seeing which side the right lines up behind. A decorated general who keeps with him a copy of Marcus Aurelius' meditations vs a draft dodging heathen.

Sometimes I think it's an educational thing. People who dont like to/want to think vs those who do. Maybe the 'poorly educated' love Trump because they finally found a man after their own minds. Work long days then veg out in front of fox news in the evenings. The true Trump diehards, not the hold their nose while voting fans.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    His strategy for wiping out ISIS involved a handful SFs, a couple thousand Marines, and a whole bunch of Kurdish fighters. The Kurds lost 11K, we lost six. Seems like a pretty decent strategy.:dunno:

But we'll never know how his plans for the region would've played out long term because his boss doesn't do long term.

Keeping it low cost is not victory. He just continued the current dribble of just enough; I was hoping for a Patton like strategy that gave us a win.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It is bizarre seeing which side the right lines up behind. A decorated general who keeps with him a copy of Marcus Aurelius' meditations vs a draft dodging heathen.

Sometimes I think it's an educational thing. People who dont like to/want to think vs those who do. Maybe the 'poorly educated' love Trump because they finally found a man after their own minds. Work long days then veg out in front of fox news in the evenings. The true Trump diehards, not the hold their nose while voting fans.
    You forgot to add “smelly Walmart shoppers” to your list of insults.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Serious question, to which I do not expect an answer.

What has a general built?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I like Mattis as a soldier and I supported him for Sec Def.

You serve at the pleasure of your boss.

I would have been fired several times in the military for disagreeing with officers, but it is pretty difficult to fire a soldier. Luckily in my career after the military I worked for and with people that were as/more intelligent/experienced then me.

Someone being a good soldier does not make them a good civilian leader.

Yes I will vote for Trump because he is the best, smartest, most effective, add all the complimentary superlatives you can think of man alive.

Since it lacks a violet hue, please tell me you were purposefully being hyperbolic.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Napoleon built an empire, are you making some sort of point about real estate developers being better presidents than military generals?

Mattis is not Napoleon, are you suggesting French style revolution. Michelle Antoinette was deposed w/o violence.

Since it lacks a violet hue, please tell me you were purposefully being hyperbolic.

You are smart enough to figure it out.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Really? Is this an “educated” guess? Or just some elitist ******* wondering how anyone could possibly think differently from himself? I wish the Trumpers would not have supported him. But they did. They support things they were against when it was Obama doing it. I don’t wonder smugly, dreaming up answers which place them beneath me. This attitude of yours is a cause of the division we have today and it’s not helpful. I once had some respect for you. I thought you were at least an honest broker. I’ve misjudged character before I guess.

If you really were interested, I mean truly interested why Trumpers love Trump so much, rather than this elitist bull****, wouldn’t you prefer to sit down and just talk to some of them? Not just the dumb ones you think represent all of them. Why not challenge your perception of them by having a sincere conversation with a cross section, especially those with a more advanced degree than yours. There are plenty of them. Some of them right here on INGO.

Ideology has little to do with intelligence or education (indoctrination notwithstanding). People with advanced degrees think men can menstruate and get pregnant for crying out loud.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The better question, is what has a general destroyed to keep you safe.

This line of discussion is kinda silly. I don’t vote for candidates *because* of their military history. I don’t give a **** if he was a general if he supports policies I don’t like. It might fit into my decision if the candidates are otherwise equal, or if it comes down to a question of leadership. And of course it’s reasonable to pick a general because of leadership if that’s the most important trait to you. But there are other considerations than just that which are also reasonable.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Napoleon built an empire, are you making some sort of point about real estate developers being better presidents than military generals?
    :rolleyes: okay, so it’s better to elect another Napoleon, you know, because he’s a general, than a real estate developer. It is a personal decision. If that criterion is as deep as you dig into the person you vote for, that’s pretty much low information voting. Of course it should go deeper than just that. ***damn straight I would vote for a real estate developer over a general if the real estate developer hit more of my criteria.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Maybe you already recognized it, but I think Jludo is referencing that Trumpers seem to hold the opinion that in you're not on your knees for Trump, you're a swamp-swimming leftist that hates America. The cult will not abide criticisms of Cheetos Jesus.
    He was not my choice in the primary. I voted for him in the general as I did not see any real choice. I am an ideological conservative, not a populist. I believe in small government. I am very upset that we did not work harder to balance the budget when we had both houses. We are at a trillion dollar deficit again this year and NO ONE seems to care.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My point would be that a soldiers job is to break things and kill people. Whether he is a private or a general. War college teaches generals to lead people in the act of breaking things and killing people.

There is no school that teaches you to be a President.

I would rather have someone that has spent his life building things than someone that has spent his life breaking things.

One of the most poignant arguments against the prior occupant of the WH is that he had never built so much as a hot dog stand.

I would take a battlefield organizer over a community organizer, though.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The way I remember it from back then. Most people weren't happy that he was the nominee but had to vote for him anyway, because Obama.

People held their noses for Romney in 2012. In 2008 people held their noses for McCain.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Meh, knife hand didn't come up with a winning strategy for the never ending wars when he was SecDef...just more of the swamp. I was very disappointing in him. I would not support him for president.

The only way to end the wars is a ww2 strategy. Kill them all or kill enough to the point where they surrender. America is not for wars like Vietnam, Korea, WW2 or WW1. They want a PC war with zero collateral damage.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The only way to end the wars is a ww2 strategy. Kill them all or kill enough to the point where they surrender. America is not for wars like Vietnam, Korea, WW2 or WW1. They want a PC war with zero collateral damage.
    Exactly right. Our current culture would never allow us to actually do what is needed to win a war.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

That was old Curt's philosophy. Kill enough of them and they will stop fighting. I believe that in modern times we have the ability to deal with enemies on a leadership only basis.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That was old Curt's philosophy. Kill enough of them and they will stop fighting. I believe that in modern times we have the ability to deal with enemies on a leadership only basis.

Pretty difficult when they hide in holes in the ground and you cannot find them.

Top Bottom