• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    IF you do a fair amount of "bed sitting" where your legs are draped across the edge of the bed - you WILL get edge breakdown in the Select Comfort beds. Also - they ARE "electric" beds and you'll need power to pump them up (duh...) But say that the valves don't hold as well as they age as they once did - you'll lose air. (duh). And you'll need power to pump back up.

If the power goes out - and you don't have a way to generate your own - you'll be out of a bed for a bit. May not be a big deal to most, but it may.

And yes - mold is a big issue with the Select Comfort beds.

I also think there are different levels of pumps based on the model of bed. "standard" vs. "quiet". If you can get the quiet pump - do so.

The edge foam breaking down / taking a set and the leaky valving MAY be a warranty issue - I have no idea. We haven't/didn't buy one.

I do believe our next bed will be a TempurPedic. Not sure which trim level, though. But it will be a King...

Sage advice: Don't skimp on a mattress. Buy the best you can afford - you spend around 1/3 of your life in bed. (Note - "best" doesn't mean most expensive)

-J-

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Two words: California King

Four inches narrow than a standard king, but four inches longer. I don't notice the loss, but the addition is really nice.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    We ended up plunking down some major coin for a Serta iComfort with the cool gel stuff.
    I have to have a cold room for decent sleep and the Tempur-pedic stuff holds body heat (which would be a nightmare... I'm a hot sleeper). I'm thinkin' that's the ticket... Guess I'll find out in a couple weeks when it gets delivered.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    We bought a Serta Eurotop queen set about 6 months ago and so far it has been great. and the whole set was only around $650 with tax, delivery and old bed disposal.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    IF you do a fair amount of "bed sitting" where your legs are draped across the edge of the bed - you WILL get edge breakdown in the Select Comfort beds. Also - they ARE "electric" beds and you'll need power to pump them up (duh...) But say that the valves don't hold as well as they age as they once did - you'll lose air. (duh). And you'll need power to pump back up.

If the power goes out - and you don't have a way to generate your own - you'll be out of a bed for a bit. May not be a big deal to most, but it may.

Why would you be "out of a bed" ? The bed does not need constant power. Once it's pumped to your number, it stays there.

And yes - mold is a big issue with the Select Comfort beds.

This only applies to beds made before 2004.

I also think there are different levels of pumps based on the model of bed. "standard" vs. "quiet". If you can get the quiet pump - do so.

Again, why? The pump only runs when you need to change your "number"

The edge foam breaking down / taking a set and the leaky valving MAY be a warranty issue - I have no idea. We haven't/didn't buy one.

Sleep Number beds carry a 25 year warranty against defects in material and workmanship.

I do believe our next bed will be a TempurPedic. Not sure which trim level, though. But it will be a King...

Sage advice: Don't skimp on a mattress. Buy the best you can afford - you spend around 1/3 of your life in bed. (Note - "best" doesn't mean most expensive)

-J-

Agreed. That's why we bought, and are extremely happy with, Select Comfort.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wife and I bought ours at menards. we like it.

Ive wondered about the Bowles mattresses that are made here in IN.

And I always wondered... why buy a Vera Wang mattress? She is known for her beautiful dresses. The mattresses look pretty too. So why would I want to pay extra for a pretty mattress, only to immediately cover it up with a fitted sheet? :scratch:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why would you be "out of a bed" ? The bed does not need constant power. Once it's pumped to your number, it stays there.

Again, why? The pump only runs when you need to change your "number".
    There's stories about mattresses with leaks. In this case, the pump would have to compensate at times for the lost air. But, if that's the case, why not get a new matress under warranty? The nice part is that you'd only have to replace the defective piece. Question, isn't the warranty pro-rated over that 25 years?

Since I just bought one, I have a discount for (INGO) friends and family for a few more days - PM me if interested and I see if I can get it.

And I always wondered... why buy a Vera Wang mattress? She is known for her beautiful dresses. The mattresses look pretty too. So why would I want to pay extra for a pretty mattress, only to immediately cover it up with a fitted sheet? :scratch:
    He he he ... you said "wang". he he.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    man i guess im still young to the scene but 3-4k for a matress? **** me i thought paying 200$ for my old queen off craigslist was alot lol.
    I don't think you get old enough to accept the price; you just mumble, "yes, dear" and write a check. :spend:

One nice feature of the Sleep Number is there's a quick setting to go to 100. So you can leave it soft for sleeping, but then quickly get more support when you need it! :naughty:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    man i guess im still young to the scene but 3-4k for a matress? **** me i thought paying 200$ for my old queen off craigslist was alot lol.

You aren't alone, I thought the $650 I paid was ridiculous, but i guess not compared to some of the mattresses out there.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Wow.

monkeys-cinema-illustration-inside-eating-popcorn-32525461.jpg

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    You can buy a decent memory foam mattress from a foam factory for $300-400, but you have to do your research. Thickness of layer and density. You don't need a sleep # because it responds to your body weight. I've been using them for years and never notice heat retention. It is multi-layered with 4" memory foam 5lb density and a support foam layer beneath. I think it's 12" total. On top of that I threw my old 4' memory foam topper on it and it's like sleeping on a cloud. Cold and damp...just kidding. Lower back pain in your rear view mirror. $3-4K for a Temperpedic is nutz.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom