• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tocaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    MT->MI->IN->SC
    Ive wondered about the Bowles mattresses that are made here in IN.

We bought one of their memory foam mattress from Long's in Castleton around 5 years ago. No complaints, except the wife insisted on the extra quilted top that makes finding fitted sheets that stay on a pain (and expensive).

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Wife and I bought ours at menards. we like it.

And I always wondered... why buy a Vera Wang mattress? She is known for her beautiful dresses. The mattresses look pretty too. So why would I want to pay extra for a pretty mattress, only to immediately cover it up with a fitted sheet? :scratch:

When I researched Bowles, they seemed to like saying how you don't have to flip the mattress. To me, that means there's crap foam at the bottom that breaks down and leaves you with a valley in the middle of the bed. Thats what happened to the Bowles I bought in 01 from a local shop in Muncie. I learned why when I was looking to replace it.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    You don't flip a memory foam mattress because the memory foam layer is on top. The bottom layer is a support firmer non memory layer. If you want to flip memory foam, buy a topper and put it on your old mattress. It's cheap and improves your mattress 100%. You can flip it, but it is unnecessary. That's how I started with mem foam. Ive since bought a generic mem foam mattress and threw the old 4" topper on that. Holy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....The only problem with mem foam is if you talk in your sleep it will remember what you said and repeat the potentially compromising exclamations in the morn. This is great if you sleep alone and are in therapy. Not so great if you share your mattress with a sig other, unless you've perfected the art of lying in your sleep. I will address this technique in an upcoming publication titled How to be safe whilst sleeping with the enemy. Should be part of every SHTF kit.

p.s If you want good mem foam that lasts, do the research. That's why God gave us Google. And God helps those what helps themselves.There is lotsa crap out there. Depth & density matter.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Wife and I bought ours at menards. we like it.

And I always wondered... why buy a Vera Wang mattress? She is known for her beautiful dresses. The mattresses look pretty too. So why would I want to pay extra for a pretty mattress, only to immediately cover it up with a fitted sheet? :scratch:

Bowles mattresses are made in Jeffersonville, IN.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I had are really firm bed that I put a memory foam topper on. My back hurt every morning. When I got married, we bought a sleep number. I have not woke up with a sore back since. I won't look back. It is pricy, but you spend 1/3 of your life in bed, and the other 2/3s are affected by the quality of that 1/3. I had issues spending the money on a glorified air mattress, but I can't argue with results.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I for one don't like my sleep number. For one I was pretty disappointed when I unboxed it and realized I bought a really expensive air mattress. I guess I was expecting more to it than what it is. You could almost strap a couple of generic air beds together and add a foam topper and have the same thing. I bought a queen and each air chamber is very narrow and there is urethane foam that goes around the the perimeter of the bed and a very narrow strip of foam down the center between the 2 air chambers. There is valley between the air chambers that I constantly feel like I'm falling into. This could be in part that my side is set very soft and my wife's side is firm. However my wife really likes it so I have been dealing with it for the last 8 years.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Sam's Club. Went to every mattress store there is and came up with only one conclusion, mattress salesman are worse than the chunks of tomato that get lodged in your nose after you vomit a few times. Pure scum

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I for one don't like my sleep number. For one I was pretty disappointed when I unboxed it and realized I bought a really expensive air mattress. I guess I was expecting more to it than what it is. You could almost strap a couple of generic air beds together and add a foam topper and have the same thing. I bought a queen and each air chamber is very narrow and there is urethane foam that goes around the the perimeter of the bed and a very narrow strip of foam down the center between the 2 air chambers. There is valley between the air chambers that I constantly feel like I'm falling into. This could be in part that my side is set very soft and my wife's side is firm. However my wife really likes it so I have been dealing with it for the last 8 years.

The matress isn't "usable". Coming from a softside split waterbed, no big deal for me.

And yes, it's a glorified air mattress.

The marine's wife saw plenty of action - just not with her hubby.

:joke:

From the Duffel Blog:
    Teddy Bear Reports Your Wife Really Loves Banging Neighbor
    (NSFW, obviously)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've been in the mattress buisness for over 4 years now and I would like to assist you as much as i can. The EFX line is the department store branding for the Serta IComforts. Normally these will say 60% off was 3699 now 1299 or whatever. These products are actually MAP priced and sell for 1299 at all retailers. The icomfort line came out about 4.5-5 years ago. Theyre warrantied for 25 years and had very minimal issues with the line. We are now on the second iteration of the i comforts. They added more gel to the mix. Made the foam a little more supportive. I was actually just at the serta plant in beloit, Wi last month.
    We really liked the iComfort "Savant" we checked out yesterday, but the Amazon reviews aren't so great. Not sure if the reviews were 1st or 2nd generation though. What's different?

Edit: Mattress shopping is STRESSFUL!! Such a chunk of money for something hoping it won't suck in 6 months!

jh1978

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    Has anyone ever called the numbers on the cardboard signs posted on lightpoles for $150 Queen pillowtop mattress sets? I swear that's gotta be code for some kinda drug deal or something. I figure they might even smuggle drugs in them, sew em back up and resell to people.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Decided on the Novaform Serafina from Costco. It has excellent reviews and is backed up by Costco's no BS return policy. We had already decided on purchasing the $1000 mattress and when we went to do so, we found it was on sale for $799 plus there is a $150 instant rebate! I laid down on it briefly this afternoon and it was amazing. I was dozing off within 5 minutes.

The thing was vacuum-packed and stuffed in a box that easily fit in my wife's Protege, but when I cut the plastic it quickly expanded to something that will never again fit in the car, let alone the box.

409881422.jpg

409881421.jpg

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Well, it's been a couple of weeks since we got Serta's iComfort. I'm digging it.
    Memory foam under a gel thing that creates a cool sleep... and it does for sure do that.

Sybaris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have a Serta that I bought at the Navy Exchange in Sasebo Japan about 20 years ago, paid $400. Still works

Top Bottom