Mayor Hogsett, IMPD, Use of Force Policy Changes (Implicit Bias Training)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    "implicit bias" training = 8.5 hours of sitting in a classroom being told how we're closet racists and how we need to go about fixing that for the good of the department. What a way to motivate a bunch of cops. What could go wrong?

Or, have the officers watch a few vides on Youtube (top result is a TED talk, lasting 16 minutes; the next is a drawing-type video which is 3 minutes long), understand a bit about cognitive biases, without the agenda, and get out on the street in good time and be better for the learning.

Good gravy.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You really believe that? It's one thing to be pro-police, but quite another to believe that we are above reproach in all instances, with the onus always falling on someone else. That's what your statement conveys.

Who's "we?"

You ain't the police no more.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Land your statement conveys that all police are racist and shoot black people for being black. Do you really think it's always so black and white?(pun intended)

That's what it says 'eh? Put your race card deck back in your pocket, and read the thread over again, and try again to figure out what's being said.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    There are intentional police shootings, accidental/unintentional police shootings and murder/attempted murder. I'm pretty certain VUPD was referring to the intentional shootings and I agree with him. That doesn't say that all intentional shootings are reasonable or justified but it's a far cry from accusations that an intentional shooting had anything to do with the color of either party's skin.

Then I'd like to ask you about the officer that was shot in St Louis. What action on the part of the off-duty officer that was shot (if you're familiar with it) motivated the officer I shoot him? I doubt one could say the shooting was unintentional.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Who's "we?"

Actually. I think I do need to address this, because despite me not mentioning it publicly on this forum, you have brought this up several times over the past few months. I know you came by my status based on someone we both know, outside of this forum, and I'm flattered I take up so much room in your head that you need to generate a dossier me. Anyways, I had an unfortunate accident during a training that required me to undergo surgery. I don't and may never again have complete use of my arm. Because of this injury, I was yes, forced, to retire with a disability. So despite not being with the department anymore, I still have a strong connection to my department. I feel I am more than entitled to continue my use of "we."

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Actually. I think I do need to address this, because despite me not mentioning it publicly on this forum, you have brought this up several times over the past few months. I know you came by my status based on someone we both know, outside of this forum, and I'm flattered I take up so much room in your head that you need to generate a dossier me. Anyways, I had an unfortunate accident during a training that required me to undergo surgery. I don't and may never again have complete use of my arm. Because of this injury, I was yes, forced, to retire with a disability. So despite not being with the department anymore, I still have a strong connection to my department. I feel I am more than entitled to continue my use of "we."

I don't often agree with what you say Kut, but I truly am sorry to hear about this. Prayers.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Then I'd like to ask you about the officer that was shot in St Louis. What action on the part of the off-duty officer that was shot (if you're familiar with it) motivated the officer I shoot him? I doubt one could say the shooting was unintentional.

I'm not familiar with that situation, I'd be happy to take a look and give you my opinion.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Who's "we?"

Which department do you work for again? As long as Kut retired or resigned under "honorable" circumstances, kind of like those leaving the military, he can say "we." He leaves after an arrest/conviction or a sustained internal investigation that results in termination, he doesn't get to do that.

Sorry to hear about your injury. Thanks for your service.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Which department do you work for again? As long as Kut retired or resigned under "honorable" circumstances, kind of like those leaving the military, he can say "we." He leaves after an arrest/conviction or a sustained internal investigation that results in termination, he doesn't get to do that.
    Just to confirm - and he doesn't need me to vouch for him - I know the circumstances and they are as he described. Well, he's minimizing certain aspects, but it was certainly medical - whether he wanted to accept it or not. There were absolutely no tarnishing aspects to it.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Just to confirm - and he doesn't need me to vouch for him - I know the circumstances and they are as he described. Well, he's minimizing certain aspects, but it was certainly medical - whether he wanted to accept it or not. There were absolutely no tarnishing aspects to it.

I trust Kut's word. I don't always agree with him, but I have no reason not to trust him.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Do I understand correctly that in addition to this fabulous new training, any special report generated as a result of use of force will be reviewed by a panel of civilians? The they will either clear the actions or submit to IA for further review?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Do I understand correctly that in addition to this fabulous new training, any special report generated as a result of use of force will be reviewed by a panel of civilians? The they will either clear the actions or submit to IA for further review?
    I am sure the civilian panel won't have any special interest groups represented or other political hacks on it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Probably something along those lines. Six months later everyone will act surprised when arrests are down, crime is up and morale is in the toilet. Been here before and IMPD will be there again.

We need special training so we aren't prone to judging entire groups by the actions of individuals. If irony held monetary value the entire department could retire.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Entitled. Yup. I already knew that. :):

No dossier, I assure you. You don't take up nearly the room in my head as you do in your own mirror. I'm not the one who feels the need to post from Europe.
    "We" means something in the context that it was used by you. It is misleading. I am both a veteran and former LE, but you don't see me mentioning it every other post on this forum.

I trust Kut's word. I don't always agree with him, but I have no reason not to trust him.

I don't trust anyone who misrepresents themselves. Especially for something so trivial as being "right" on an internet forum.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Entitled. Yup. I already knew that. :):

No dossier, I assure you. You don't take up nearly the room in my head as you do in your own mirror. I'm not the one who feels the need to post from Europe.
    "We" means something in the context that it was used by you. It is misleading. I am both a veteran and former LE, but you don't see me mentioning it every other post on this forum.

I don't trust anyone who misrepresents themselves. Especially for something so trivial as being "right" on an internet forum.

Boy, I take up a LOT of space. And man, do I mention my affiliation in "every other post on this forum?" I also didn't know that my membership privileges were suspended when I'm out of the country. That's news to me. As for the mirror, I'm still a pretty man. I gotta have my mirrors. I do appreciate the fact that you stalk and harass me though. It just means I have your attention.

Top Bottom