Meeting WW2 veterans in Normandy, and US military vehicle exhibition.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    S8302688.jpg

"CAUTION LEFT HAND DRIVE" was to signal automobilists that the driver was sitting on the left of the vehicle.
    Those markings were added when the vehicle was stationed in the UK prior to the D-Day landing.

Obviously not needed in the US or the rest of Europe.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I got to spend most of this last week with my grandfather who is a World War II vet from the European theater. He is 94 now and this was the first time he was really willing to talk in detail about the war. He told me that after he got back to the states but before he was discharged, he was tasked with driving buses full of German POWs to various ports were they were going to be repatriated. Having had a good number of friends who were captured by the Germans who had to slog their way across Europe during the German retreat, he said that at the time it just made him mad as hell that he was having to give them bus rides rather than them walking.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Smaller action and gun overall. Also the bayonet mount on the exposed barrel. Noticeably shorter wood in front

I see.I think that gun scabbard on the Jeep is made for the Garand though.
    It's why I assumed it was one.And it seems too big for carbine version.

IMG_4248.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My FIL when in on Omaha beach on D-day. He really had a hard time talking about it with family. He passed away before I met my wife, I really wish I could have met and talk to him for even a little while. I have met several others that fought in WW2, My first boss was at Guadalcanal. He told a bit of what happened. A buddy of mines father spent 6 months in a Japaneses prison camp. My BIL's dad was at Iwo Jima . My uncle Wayne was hit with shrapnel but i am nit sure of the battle. He carried a piece of metal next to his heart till the day he died in 75. All those guys went threw hell. They earned the title "the greatest generation". They were and still are awe inspiring hero's. And I have ton's of respect for all the nations that kicked Nazi/Japanese ass.

All our vets that fought in any of our battle's and our current service members fighting right now are true hero's. I have the greatest respect for all that served and are still serving our country here and abroad.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Seems like the ceremonies Are constant there sylvain. It's like Arlington h

We are having 3 days of ceremonies in the region while a group of Canadian veterans are visiting.
    The Canadian minister of veterans affairs is visiting also.
    I was two feet away from him the other day but had no idea who he was at the time.
    Now I know why a couple of cops who were following him kept staring at me the whole time I was taking pictures next to him. :):

Can you jack me that big sword off the cross?

Sure!
    You will look badass carrying that sword around.
    It's huge though.

hubert-huchette-with-sword_website_hh.jpg

A man was arrested this year for removing one off a memorial in Australia, and destroying it.

1500446811316.jpg

Religious fanatics charged over damage to Toowong war memorial

I would love to have been there. :xmad:

There is the same cross and sword at Arlington Cemetery.

3725140922140758.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_Sacrifice

canadian-cross-of-sacrifice-2.jpg

Top Bottom