• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Holy crap, that really was a MiG-23. If the swept-wings reminded you of an F-111? There's a reason.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Holy crap, that really was a MiG-23. If the swept-wings reminded you of an F-111? There's a reason.
    Wow! You're right, my first guess was F-111.

Looks like an enormous lucky break that both ejection seats on that museum piece worked, and it didn't kill anyone on impact. It's not exactly a small aircraft.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Very sad.

“Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.” – Captain A. G. Lamplugh
    This business will get out of control. I'm surprised airshows haven't gotten whomped on legislatively, already. Some of these guys have the same mentality of a guy working on an old car, but the consequences are a lot greater to people on the ground.

Watched a video of someone having a test pilot checkout a Mig15 before purchasing it. The guy was telling him, paraphrasing, "Now don't operate flaps and ailerons at the same time, or flaps and gear, or really anything that uses two hydraulic systems at once, because there's not enough oil pressure on these old systems..."...sheesh. Then another video of the dude who video-chronicled buying his L-39 and having it checked out by mechanics and a test pilot after delivery. The amount of time it took them to chase down an oil leak pretty much sealed any interest I could ever have in any used airplane, esp. one where parts are hard to obtain.

I wonder how many owners that Mig23 had? How do you have traceability on that? Forget about it. That plane looked like it was in somewhat controlled flight when they punched. I'll be interested to hear the story, if any, but that looked like a straight-up major system failure, and they were lucky enough to identify it before it became critical.

Very lucky nobody was killed.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw a MiG-23 in a hanger at Tyndall AFB back nearly 25 years ago. It was the 82nd Aerial Targets Squadron, not private individuals.

A 50 year old swept-wing Soviet built fighter would be a nightmare to maintain.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, a few years ago I thought about getting my private pilot’s license. I had justified the cost of getting the license in my head but when I got to the cost of maintaining it and using it, much less the costs associated with owning something as pedestrian as a Cessna…too rich for my blood. i can’t imagine what it costs to keep an old war bird flying.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Yeah, a few years ago I thought about getting my private pilot’s license. I had justified the cost of getting the license in my head but when I got to the cost of maintaining it and using it, much less the costs associated with owning something as pedestrian as a Cessna…too rich for my blood. i can’t imagine what it costs to keep an old war bird flying.
    The same reasons I just got a BFI and flew powered parachutes for years. Simple, easy and affordable enough and thrill of flying even though it was slow.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Speaking of having your PPL... does anyone have the "sport pilot license"? With the recently proposed changes w Mosaic it opens up more options for those with the sport pilot version.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Reject PPL and Cessna, return to unlicensed operation of kitbash aircraft with lawnmower engines ordered from the ads in the back of magazines at the dentist

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Reject PPL and Cessna, return to unlicensed operation of kitbash aircraft with lawnmower engines ordered from the ads in the back of magazines at the dentist
    I’ve seen videos with those Part 103’s and It did interest me…but my wife? Not so much.

Top Bottom