• ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    View attachment 292904

Yes, provided it was a careless or reckless action from the pilot. Mechanical failure or something else considered to not fit those definitions, then no.
    So it comes down to proving the mechanical failure was negligence (or defending g it wasn’t). On an old plane that’s hard to get parts for I think that could be harder to defend. Just my 2 cents though, not even worth what you paid for it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm sure there is liability insurance and there was only relatively minor property damage, so if there were any lawsuits, I'd be surprised.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    So it comes down to proving the mechanical failure was negligence (or defending g it wasn’t). On an old plane that’s hard to get parts for I think that could be harder to defend. Just my 2 cents though, not even worth what you paid for it.

Mechanical failure is not related to reckless operations (in terms of flying). If the pilot is also the owner/operator, then the argument could be made that poor maintenance practices lead to the failure, but generally a mechanical failure would not be connected with reckless flying.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    And guess who issued the special airworthiness certificate needed to operate that Mig-23? The FAA. So if they issued a permit, they must have felt it was in good enough condition to be airworthy.

Please, tell me more about how aviation works, including the inspection and certification of experimental aircraft and the necessary documents needed to obtain a Experimental Category special airworthiness certificate…

Edit: as an added note, the average age of a general aviation aircraft is 50 years old. Are you one of those people who feels anything older than 20 years should be scrapped? Do you have any idea what a NEW general aviation aircraft costs? This is why most new aircraft cost more than a house nowadays, because of the extreme amount of regulation that must be complied with to produce them. Very few people are approaching aviation maintenance (and pilot capacity- Ed.) with the cavalier attitude you seem to think we all have…
    (fixy)...except the GenAv people who keep turning up dead.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    My Godmother didn't like when I was learning to fly. Her brother was an Air Force pilot and got killed when I was very young. In FL, cockpit filled with smoke. They told him to punch out but he didn't because of his concern about people on the ground and crashed where no one could get hurt.
    I have commercial pilot, single/multi engine land and instrument certs with expired CFI (certified flight instructor)....which some call BFI I guess. Was a CFI, flew in AK for a short time then jumpers, banners, some charter and cancelled checks at night before it went electronic. Got out before getting the ATP and going to the regionals for a more lucrative job.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    (fixy)...except the GenAv people who keep turning up dead.

Fix drunk driving. Then come complain to me about how dangerous flying is. People THINK flying is WAY more dangerous than it is because they buy in to the media hype. In reality, GenAv accident rates are TINY compared to motor vehicle accidents, fatal or otherwise. Clean up drunk driving/DUIs, faulty mechanicals on cars etc., and maybe then I’ll be willing to talk. Until then? Nope.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Fix drunk driving. Then come complain to me about how dangerous flying is. People THINK flying is WAY more dangerous than it is because they buy in to the media hype. In reality, GenAv accident rates are TINY compared to motor vehicle accidents, fatal or otherwise. Clean up drunk driving/DUIs, faulty mechanicals on cars etc., and maybe then I’ll be willing to talk. Until then? Nope.
    Yep. As a recovering semi pro Skydiver, I loved the statistics. I'd remind my students that it was statistically more dangerous to drive to the airport than to jump out of the plane.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Nope to what? You seem to have formed some knee-jerk impression of what I'm proposing. I simply pointed out some of the weekenders' reach seems to exceed their grasp, and they should exercise some personal responsibility.

If the drunk drivers want to do it...I'm all for that, also.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Nope to what? You seem to have formed some knee-jerk impression of what I'm proposing. I simply pointed out some of the weekenders' reach seems to exceed their grasp, and they should exercise some personal responsibility.

If the drunk drivers want to do it...I'm all for that, also.

Perhaps I am. But it sure seems like you’re proposing that GenAv as a whole should be punished for the actions of a VERY few. And I mean a ridiculously small amount.

I guarantee there are shady operations in aviation. In fact, I’ve seen the results of some. But they’re INFINITELY rare. Those involved usually lose their certificate, their livelihood, and often their lives. Is there room for improvement? Always. But “knee-jerk,” broad-brush actions punish many who are doing things the right way.

Top Bottom