• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    After Pearl Harbor* I wouldn't hold high expectations for any war movie. It's a crap shoot ... you might get Saving Private Ryan or you might get Indianapolis: Men of Courage.

*Roger Ebert on Pearl Harbor: "Pearl Harbor is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how, on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle."

"Letters From Iwo Jima" and "Hacksaw Ridge" IMO were damn good.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Both are great flics. Watched multiple times. Love-em.

But I will set through the new one. Who knows, we might be surprised. I really hope so.

Yeah, I know I'm going to watch the new movie too. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks for the heads up!

When I was a young man I got to meet George Gay, the sole survivor of the USS Hornet's Torpedo Squadron 8. His entire squadron was shot down at Midway.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._Gay_Jr.

A brief mention of him and his squadron at the 30 minute mark[video=youtube;Bd8_vO5zrjo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8_vO5zrjo[/video]

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Well have to agree with Kut on the “picture shows”!

Letters from Iwo Jima interesting to see the Japanese view of the battle.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Weird coincidence, I was outside Atlanta in the very early 1990s for a conference and met him as well. There was some kind of WWII gathering at the same events center. Was in line behind him and a ME 209 pilot at the coffee bar.

That's really cool! I met him at an air show sometime in the 70's. I assume he was there as a special guest or something, because he was announced over the pa system. I was fairly young, but made my parents take me to meet him. It's kind of funny, in retrospect, because I'm sure my parents had no idea who he was, but I did.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That's really cool! I met him at an air show sometime in the 70's. I assume he was there as a special guest or something, because he was announced over the pa system. I was fairly young, but made my parents take me to meet him. It's kind of funny, in retrospect, because I'm sure my parents had no idea who he was, but I did.

What's most amazing about that guy is that he was still serving in combat after Midway. I think for most men, put in his situation, that battle would have been the end of, not only his fighting military career, but mental health as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What's most amazing about that guy is that he was still serving in combat after Midway. I think for most men, put in his situation, that battle would have been the end of, not only his fighting military career, but mental health as well.

Some very strong individuals fought in that war.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

There was a determination to win that war. Our servicemen and women were dedicated to victory. Losing that war would have meant the end of our democracy and way of life.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I'm sure he didn't have much of a choice.
    Difficult to "quit" then.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Wife and I saw this movie last night. Never seen so many white haired people in a movie theater in my life. I felt like a kid watching with my grandparents again. This was a great movie. I will be honest I’m not a history buff and didn’t know much going into the movie about the battle. If what happened is even relatively close to the movie then we all owe these guys more than we already think we do. I personally think movies like Fury (WWI) and Midway (WWII) need to be shown in schools. Kids don’t get how things were before technology and cell phones and they need to see how brutal some of these wars were. Worth the money to go see and I rarely say that anymore.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wife and I saw this movie last night. Never seen so many white haired people in a movie theater in my life. I felt like a kid watching with my grandparents again. This was a great movie. I will be honest I’m not a history buff and didn’t know much going into the movie about the battle. If what happened is even relatively close to the movie then we all owe these guys more than we already think we do. I personally think movies like Fury (WWI) and Midway (WWII) need to be shown in schools. Kids don’t get how things were before technology and cell phones and they need to see how brutal some of these wars were. Worth the money to go see and I rarely say that anymore.

OK that seals it for me.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I am issuing an admonishment for leaving out Saving Private Ryan.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I am issuing an admonishment for leaving out Saving Private Ryan.

Since we're admonishing. . . . .I'll add one for Fury. I haven't seen it yet but from the previews the tank appears to be a Sherman, definitely WWII!

The wife and I saw Midway Thursday night andI enjoyed it. I thnk the biggest difference for me from the
    70's rendition is that they give a little more background on the individuals and what made them what they were maybe? All in all I enjoyed it as much as the first variant but the CGI was definitely put to good use. The wife isn't a big history or action buff so she spent at least part of the time checking her eyelids for leaks.:):

Top Bottom