• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'll probably check it out, after "JoJo Rabbit," but I'm not going in with high expectations. I think the Midway movie from '76 would be hard to top.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When we 1st saw SPR we were all amazed at the movie. So well done. It is one that can be watched and re-watched.

Summer of 98, home on leave from Iceland. Saw it in a theater. The scene early in the movie where the ramp on the Higgins Boat dropped and the MG-42 opened up; that scene really got me.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I got a chance to talk to a dive bomber pilot from the battle of midway. He flew 3 different dive bombers in that battle. 2 were shot down. They rescued him with the flying boats, took him back to the carrier and he strapped himself into 2 more to get back into the fight. He was amazing to listen to.

He helped sink one of the big Nippon cruisers they had in that battle. He had a shoulder full of metals on a uniform that didn't fit him anymore. He was a rancher and lived in Nebraska. Amazing man.

I tell his story to anyone who wants to listen to keep what he did alive.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm not really into "Remake" movies, but I would enjoy seeing a remake of Pearl Harbor...... one where we win.

The new Midway looks like some cool effects.
    That turning point of using what we call "Practical Effects" (no CGI) might be at an end. :crying:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I just got back from it, saw it instead of watching the Colts-Dolphins. I think I made the right choice!

I really enjoyed it. The CGI stuff is just amazing. The story is good, probably more human interest stuff than I would prefer, but not like the nonsense in Pearl Harbor or the goofy Japanese-American love interest side story in the '70's Midway. The history is accurate, they did a good job of telling it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I just got back from it, saw it instead of watching the Colts-Dolphins. I think I made the right choice!

I really enjoyed it. The CGI stuff is just amazing. The story is good, probably more human interest stuff than I would prefer, but not like the nonsense in Pearl Harbor or the goofy Japanese-American love interest side story in the '70's Midway. The history is accurate, they did a good job of telling it.

Thanks for the review. I'll wait for it to get on Prime.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Not a bad film, but a few quibbles:

(and, possibly, a few spoilers, so be advised!)

1) I find it tough to believe that Dick Best was as much of a cowboy as he was made out to be in the film. A few times I was wondering if I was watching an ersatz Pete “Maverick” Mitchell. His insolence toward Wade McClusky and Gene Lindsey would have gotten him in hack at least and probably court-martialed for insubordination. The real Best was an instructor at Pensacola before he went out to the Fleet.

2) Didn’t like how Arizona appeared to list as she was sinking after the magazine explosion; I always thought the bow section went straight to the bottom and the foremast toppled straight forward.

3) Nice touch showing the actions of LCDR “Slim” Townsend, the flight deck officer, riding a runaway torpedo that broke free from a landing TBD to a stop on the afternoon of 7 December. Yes, it really happened.

4) Inexcusable error 1: Too many Midway-based B-26s attacking Kido Butai on 4 June (there were actually only 4; it looked like at least 8 or possibly 12 in the film).

5) Inexcusable error 2: No Midway-based TBFs in the initial attacks on Kido Butai. Guess the CGI budget was getting depleted from providing the excessive number of B-26s??

6) Inexcusable error 3: Torpedo Squadron SIX from Enterprise was the second carrier-based torpedo squadron to attack Kido Butai, not the first; Hornet’s VT-8 (sole survivor George Gay) was first and Yorktown’s VT-3 was last (Best saw some “tail-end Charlies” from VT-3 inbound toward Hiryu after he hit Akagi).

7) Would have liked to have seen at least a cameo from Max Leslie, Jimmy Thach, and Lem Massey from Yorktown, but that would have added another 20 minutes to the film (which could have replaced the Marshall Island raid footage).

8) The camera angles and panning/zooming of the attack gave the impression that Emmerich watched too much of the revived “Battlestar Galactica” TV series from a few years ago. The “every round is a tracer” CGI looked like the battles between the Colonials and the Cylons using laser or particle beam weapons.

9) Woody Harrelson as ADM Nimitz wasn’t all that bad (story is that he went to the Nimitz museum in Fredericksburg Texas to research the Admiral), although he didn’t relieve Bill Halsey aboard Enterprise, but at CINCPAC Hq.

10) Best’s inhalation of caustic soda fumes didn’t last throughout the first bombing mission; and (according to Prange) only started coughing up blood on 5 June. Somehow he had activated latent TB even though he knew of no family history of the disease.

11) The story of Bruno Gaido and Frank O’Flaherty being thrown overboard by the Japanese has not been widely known. A third prisoner, Wesley Osmus from Yorktown’s Torpedo Squadron THREE, was murdered in the same fashion on another IJN ship.

12) A little disappointed with how RADM Spruance was portrayed; but Glenn Ford in the 1976 film and G.D. Spradlin in Wouk’s “War and Rembrance” were tough acts to follow. I especially liked how Spradlin’s Spruance told off Miles Browning for a poor job of executing the first day’s strikes without ever raising his voice.

But, at least, Dick and Annie Best (and their daughter Barbara) were real-life participants and not a fictional couple whose love story was Pearl Harbored/Titanic-ed into the film.

I expect I’ll go back and see it once more this week. I found it superior to the 1976 Mirisch production due to the absence of aircraft magically changing from F4F to F4U to F6F when they were supposed to be SBDs.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not really into "Remake" movies, but I would enjoy seeing a remake of Pearl Harbor...... one where we win.

It's bad enough we lost twice - once to the Japs, then to Michael Bay. :(

The new Midway looks like some gratuitous effects.
    That turning point of using what we call "Practical Effects" (no CGI) might be at an end. :crying:

FIFY.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I don't agree that the movie's special effects are overdone on the number of tracers in the air. WWII ships were pretty impressive in the number of anti-aircraft guns employed.

[video=youtube_share;N-o6FoBhFbI]https://youtu.be/N-o6FoBhFbI[/video]

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not a bad film, but a few quibbles:

(and, possibly, a few spoilers, so be advised!)

1) I find it tough to believe that Dick Best was as much of a cowboy as he was made out to be in the film. A few times I was wondering if I was watching an ersatz Pete “Maverick” Mitchell. His insolence toward Wade McClusky and Gene Lindsey would have gotten him in hack at least and probably court-martialed for insubordination. The real Best was an instructor at Pensacola before he went out to the Fleet.

2) Didn’t like how Arizona appeared to list as she was sinking after the magazine explosion; I always thought the bow section went straight to the bottom and the foremast toppled straight forward.

3) Nice touch showing the actions of LCDR “Slim” Townsend, the flight deck officer, riding a runaway torpedo that broke free from a landing TBD to a stop on the afternoon of 7 December. Yes, it really happened.

4) Inexcusable error 1: Too many Midway-based B-26s attacking Kido Butai on 4 June (there were actually only 4; it looked like at least 8 or possibly 12 in the film).

5) Inexcusable error 2: No Midway-based TBFs in the initial attacks on Kido Butai. Guess the CGI budget was getting depleted from providing the excessive number of B-26s??

6) Inexcusable error 3: Torpedo Squadron SIX from Enterprise was the second carrier-based torpedo squadron to attack Kido Butai, not the first; Hornet’s VT-8 (sole survivor George Gay) was first and Yorktown’s VT-3 was last (Best saw some “tail-end Charlies” from VT-3 inbound toward Hiryu after he hit Akagi).

7) Would have liked to have seen at least a cameo from Max Leslie, Jimmy Thach, and Lem Massey from Yorktown, but that would have added another 20 minutes to the film (which could have replaced the Marshall Island raid footage).

8) The camera angles and panning/zooming of the attack gave the impression that Emmerich watched too much of the revived “Battlestar Galactica” TV series from a few years ago. The “every round is a tracer” CGI looked like the battles between the Colonials and the Cylons using laser or particle beam weapons.

9) Woody Harrelson as ADM Nimitz wasn’t all that bad (story is that he went to the Nimitz museum in Fredericksburg Texas to research the Admiral), although he didn’t relieve Bill Halsey aboard Enterprise, but at CINCPAC Hq.

10) Best’s inhalation of caustic soda fumes didn’t last throughout the first bombing mission; and (according to Prange) only started coughing up blood on 5 June. Somehow he had activated latent TB even though he knew of no family history of the disease.

11) The story of Bruno Gaido and Frank O’Flaherty being thrown overboard by the Japanese has not been widely known. A third prisoner, Wesley Osmus from Yorktown’s Torpedo Squadron THREE, was murdered in the same fashion on another IJN ship.

12) A little disappointed with how RADM Spruance was portrayed; but Glenn Ford in the 1976 film and G.D. Spradlin in Wouk’s “War and Rembrance” were tough acts to follow. I especially liked how Spradlin’s Spruance told off Miles Browning for a poor job of executing the first day’s strikes without ever raising his voice.

But, at least, Dick and Annie Best (and their daughter Barbara) were real-life participants and not a fictional couple whose love story was Pearl Harbored/Titanic-ed into the film.

I expect I’ll go back and see it once more this week. I found it superior to the 1976 Mirisch production due to the absence of aircraft magically changing from F4F to F4U to F6F when they were supposed to be SBDs.

Remind me to never go see a movie with you!:laugh: No I know how my wife feels when I do this to her. Unfortunately they have to "amp it up" history a little to sell it nowadays, seems on it's own merit most folks don't consider it "entertainment" otherwise. Like someone else said upstream, I felt like the spring chicken in the theater when we went to see it and I'm a late baby boomer.

I wondered if the scene where they were thrown off the deck was factual or not, I didn't remember reading about it in my younger days and was wondering how they could have confirmed it although it probably came from the ships logs after the war.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    I don't agree that the movie's special effects are overdone on the number of tracers in the air. WWII ships were pretty impressive in the number of anti-aircraft guns employed.

[video=youtube_share;N-o6FoBhFbI]https://youtu.be/N-o6FoBhFbI[/video]
    Free to disagree, you and me. I will point out that the video is primarily night shots, which look even more like the BSG battle scenes than the scenes in Midway 2019.

According to Walter Lord, Yorktown’s Gunnery Officer Leonard Davis “had a simple theory: if you put enough bullets in the direction of attacking aircraft, eventually some plane would run into one”. Davis and his IJN counterparts undoubtedly operated from similar theories.

Last edited:

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I will probably go see it this weekend.

I had the pleasure to meet Patrick Wilson (actor) a few weeks ago, was able to talk about the movie and a few past projects he has done. I had a Midway poster with me he scribbled on and signed it. He said it was his first Midway poster/or anything Midway he had signed. Super nice guy.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I will probably go see it this weekend.

I had the pleasure to meet Patrick Wilson (actor) a few weeks ago, was able to talk about the movie and a few past projects he has done. I had a Midway poster with me he scribbled on and signed it. He said it was his first Midway poster/or anything Midway he had signed. Super nice guy.
    That's cool! I really enjoyed him in Fargo.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This is, in my opinion, all good reviews. It would have to get pretty bad INGO reviews for me to not see it. I have confess that I waited for a couple INGO reviews to make sure they didn't butcher it like they did "Pearl Harbor" before deciding to see it. Thanks for being the Guinea pigs. :ingo:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is, in my opinion, all good reviews. It would have to get pretty bad INGO reviews for me to not see it. I have confess that I waited for a couple INGO reviews to make sure they didn't butcher it like they did "Pearl Harbor" before deciding to see it. Thanks for being the Guinea pigs. :ingo:

The wife LOVED Pearl Harbor! I told her they ruined a perfectly good war movie by turning it into a chick flick.:noway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom