• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Usually check their used section. I have laughed everytime I've seen a usually beat up 3rd gen S&W with a price 150 over what a beat up one would go for.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    They've had that 3% for decades. When I bought my first pistol from them in the 90's, I was going to use my new debit card. They said there would be an extra charge and asked if I could write a check. I did. I know when I go to have cash. Plain and simple. And if I'm buying something higher dollar, I can usually get them to knock something off, usually more than 3%.

And as far as the $400 over MSRP, that's about any business. MGE has great sales. I've even got some screamin deals on some used guns every now and then. Yes, they have some things marked way too high. But I just keep walking. Nobody's making me buy anything.

And if you're in there enough, get to know one or two sales guys/gals. They will usually get you a deal if they can.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Sorry for the page 3 response back. Ive been at work and did not know it took off on a colt lol. So the gun in question is the HK SP5. Msrp of around $2,800. limited production so they say and they are in fact selling for around 3k on GB. Honestly its not the over MSRP that gets me. I get it, but they ran an ad for 2,999 last week and now it's 3,199. The guy I talked to did not seem to want to knock off a couple hundred or wave the 3% so as it turns out I picked up one from Shoot Point Blank for MSRP. I also got hit with that nasty 7% sales tax, lol I have bought most everything off GB so I have not had to pay tax in a bit.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Then again those paying with cash might think it's not right cause they're paying another 3% built into the lowest price they can obtain to cover cc fees they don't require.

YES!!! THAT!!! Why the heck do people seem to think that those of us that pay cash should pay the same price as the CC buyer? If they will not adjust the price to reflect the CC charge, I just put it on a cash back card and get some of it that way.

But to everyone that seems to think cash back cards are the end all be all, you overpay to get between one third to one half of what they collect back, that is as silly as celebrating a tax refund. LOL...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Sorry for the page 3 response back. Ive been at work and did not know it took off on a colt lol. So the gun in question is the HK SP5. Msrp of around $2,800. limited production so they say and they are in fact selling for around 3k on GB. Honestly its not the over MSRP that gets me. I get it, but they ran an ad for 2,999 last week and now it's 3,199. The guy I talked to did not seem to want to knock off a couple hundred or wave the 3% so as it turns out I picked up one from Shoot Point Blank for MSRP. I also got hit with that nasty 7% sales tax, lol I have bought most everything off GB so I have not had to pay tax in a bit.

In some states it's still illegal to add this surcharge but for most the law was changed. In your instance it's pretty petty to bother with the 3% when you've agreed to pay 400.00 over MSRP plus the likely 200.00 or more they were already making. For something like a Glock eating 3% could matter but it's silly in this case. Here's an idea, decide on your final price and then build in 3% and then people won't berate you on the internet and you can always offer a little deal to those cavemen still paying cash. Kudos to Shoot Point Blank and congrats on the SP5.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Okay so really just a vent post here I guess. I am all about supply and demand but this place is over the top, $400 over MSRP and on top of that the 3% CC fee. I can't stand 3% charges for using a credit card in a store. I get that on Gunbroker some sellers do that and I disagree with that too but at least it is clearly noted on the auction. It's not even the $400 over I get that since they are selling like hot cakes but man you think you could at least not slam with with 3% on top. lol.

If they posted it as 3% discount for cash, would you be as upset? Trying to understand if you think its deceptive pricing they are posting?

It's not much different than Lowes giving a discount for using their own card, or Rickers/now GetGo offering their member pricing, etc when you are using their payment source.

Sometimes it seems to me that places use the 3% additional for credit card so that they can advertise the best pricing, while those that offer a discount for cash are passing along a savings to their customer, but in the end it really is the same net on the transaction, just semantics and motivation.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If they posted it as 3% discount for cash, would you be as upset? Trying to understand if you think its deceptive pricing they are posting?

It's not much different than Lowes giving a discount for using their own card, or Rickers/now GetGo offering their member pricing, etc when you are using their payment source.

Sometimes it seems to me that places use the 3% additional for credit card so that they can advertise the best pricing, while those that offer a discount for cash are passing along a savings to their customer, but in the end it really is the same net on the transaction, just semantics and motivation.

Exactly, it's just semantics but one way gets you beat up on gun boards lol.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    But man-o-man do they have a selection up there!

It beats the crap out of all the Fort Wayne gun stores combined.

:abused:

Sorry, return to your MGE bashing.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I guess I would care less about it if the emails they sent out say there is a 3% up charge. As best I can tell they don’t. I spoke with a dealer that said the cost for them on that gun was $2,300. Not sure how factual that is but after their over msrp and 3% up charge is just seems greedy to want to make $1,000 selling a gun. But hay free Country and I just won’t shop there. Unsubscribe from the emails. Easy enough. As for getting beat up on gun boards*** worse things could happen. Lol

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I should try that when I go grocery shopping, "But, but it was on sale last week? Come'on - take a few bucks off!"

As to cash, I don't hear anyone saying, "I met an INGOer in the parking lot and he wouldn't take my credit card!"

Why do gun dealers like to tack on 3%, I dunno, tradition I guess. Why do we tip at Applebees, but not Chipotle?
    Most every other retailer has simply factored in that CC cost into the retail price... Maybe they should price it higher and offer a discount for cash, because you know, psychology.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I guess I would care less about it if the emails they sent out say there is a 3% up charge. As best I can tell they don’t. I spoke with a dealer that said the cost for them on that gun was $2,300. Not sure how factual that is but after their over msrp and 3% up charge is just seems greedy to want to make $1,000 selling a gun. But hay free Country and I just won’t shop there. Unsubscribe from the emails. Easy enough. As for getting beat up on gun boards*** worse things could happen. Lol

Another way to look at is they charge 3% if you want to buy the privilege of putting your purchase on a CC.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    But man-o-man do they have a selection up there!

It beats the crap out of all the Fort Wayne gun stores combined.

:abused:

Sorry, return to your MGE bashing.

Ok more than Happy to join in on this one. My experience ....poor customer service, high prices, they had at least one arrogant A hole working there the one day i made a purchase there that i continue to regret.

One store I will here it goes I am going to use the N word here because I can say with out certainty NEVER step foot in their store again.

Been over 5 years and I have not been Back.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    It's been 10-15 years since I've bought anything from MGE, They were still on Lincolnway in Mishawaka the last time I bought. I stop in when I'm in the area to look around, but will never buy there

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    WLx1PgR.jpg

Top Bottom