• Who is Your Choice for Governor?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I will be voting for Pence (while holding my nose). Heard him on Garrison's show many times. One of his favorite expressions involves him talking about about "down range" while visiting Afghanistan or Iraq. He uses quite a few expressions like that which I don't think he has any conception of.

I have also heard John Gregg on the radio and he just can't help but show the liberal (class warfare) side of himself. Being a conservative, I just can't get past that.

Rupert is just a big joke. I watched a debate between the three of them. Rupert has no clue.

Pence will carry on Mitch Daniels' policies and keep spending under control which is a big deal for me.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    All the Gregg commercials are the same.
    The dopey music playing in the background while he bashed Pence.
    Feel like I'm being talked down to and I don't know anything.
    No thanks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Gregg's running mate, Vi Simpson, is a virulently anti-gun Democrat party hack from the Bloomington area. That alone should disqualify him from consideration by anyone saying they are a gun rights supporter.

This.

It's important to look at their running mates, and I do not like Vi Simpson at all, being from the Bloomington area. She has never responded to any emails I've ever sent her regarding any issues. Not even a form letter. And I've seen the bills she co-sponsors. Gregg is disqualified because of that alone. I like some of his other ideas, but not enough.

Pence... I dunno. I read his stuff, and I'm still undecided on him.

Rupert was on Survivor twice. Seems fishy to me.

Did she give up her state legislature position to run for this?

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Pence knows what kind of an opportunity he is going to have to make a statement to the nation once he wins. He will have a supermajority in the Senate and stands a very good chance of having one in the House. Right to Work was just passed, the budget looks good and school choice is gaining steam. There will be enough new blood in the House that the old guard won't be able to ignore and I predict great things for Indiana!

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are three gubernatorial debates coming up this month: Oct 10, 17, 25. All will be broadcast (probably on your local PBS station or WFYI in Indy). All three candidates will participate.

I know Rupert personally, and have great respect for him. I suggest people look at his record/bio, and listen to him in the debates before making up your minds. Yes, I work (volunteer) for his campaign.

About Rupert

https://www.facebook.com/rupertforgovernor

The following is posted with permission of the campaign (mod's can PM me if they want confirmation). It's the info from the about Rupert link above.

Rupert is mostly known for his time on the show Survivor. He was a contestant on the show three times, each resulting in a loss. On his second appearance… the producers did something they had never done before. They asked the viewers to vote for their favorite participant. Of the 38 million votes cast, Rupert received 34 million. Why? The viewers saw in Rupert the qualities of a real winner. Compassion, Honesty and Integrity. As Rupert says to the kids he meets across the country, “…It matters how you play the game.”

When he was voted the Fan Favorite, he was awarded a one million dollar prize. What would you do with a million dollars? What do you think our leaders would do with an extra million dollars? Rupert paid the taxes on the winnings ($480,000), took care of his family’s bills and education ($250,000) and split the rest ($270,000) between three local charities. “We paid our taxes, took care of our family and then helped to take care of our community.” He didn’t have to do this. He CHOSE to.

Before Rupert was on Survivor, he was a respected community leader in Indianapolis. For over 20 years he has worked with young offenders in the court system. He takes these young men and women and gets them back on the right path. He does this through his mentoring program, Rupert’s Kids, that emphasizes personal responsibility, work ethic, education and respect. “We teach these kids how to make a legal living, how to have pride in yourself and how to provide for yourself…Don’t just have your hand out.” Rupert has sustained this program through private donations and NOT through taxpayer funding.

Rupert, in partnership with the City of Indianapolis, created The Park Adoption Program. The program has saved taxpayers $150,000.00 in the past years and continues to provide a safe, enjoyable work environment for young men and women in the mentoring program. The program does not receive federal or state funds. Rupert continues to raise funds and awareness for his mentoring program through a campaign of nationwide appearances and speaking engagements and through private contributions.

Rupert has proven himself as an entrepreneur and small business owner. His production company, Tournament Towers, has 10 crews on the road during football season that transports and sets up support gear for high-profile clients. Rupert’s company has a long and continued relationship with some of the biggest names in sports entertainment (ABC, ESPN, NFL, IndyCar & many others).

Rupert was born on January 27, 1964 in Detroit, Michigan, but grew up in Kokomo, Indiana which considers Rupert their most famous native son. Rupert has resided in Indianapolis, Indiana for the past 21 years. He has been married to his wife Laura for 14 years. They have one daughter, Raya.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    There are three gubernatorial debates coming up this month: Oct 10, 17, 25. All will be broadcast (probably on your local PBS station or WFYI in Indy). All three candidates will participate.

I know Rupert personally, and have great respect for him. I suggest people look at his record/bio, and listen to him in the debates before making up your minds. Yes, I work (volunteer) for his campaign.

About Rupert

https://www.facebook.com/rupertforgovernor

The following is posted with permission of the campaign (mod's can PM me if they want confirmation). It's the info from the about Rupert link above.

I've got a lot of respect for Rupert's work in the community, for sure. The only issue with watching debates is that you've always got to hear from an idiot or 2 in order to listen to the 1 or 2 you want to hear. Might set up the DVR and fast forward through at least 1 person I know I wouldn't vote for.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've got a lot of respect for Rupert's work in the community, for sure. The only issue with watching debates is that you've always got to hear from an idiot or 2 in order to listen to the 1 or 2 you want to hear. Might set up the DVR and fast forward through at least 1 person I know I wouldn't vote for.

If I might suggest... try listening to all three. This year, the progressive liberals are not happy with the top of their state ticket. You might actually hear the Dem version of the guy trying to be like the republican (he'll be liberal, but he and the other guy have a lot in common). :D

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I will vote for Pence. I don't watch reality shows and certainly wouldn't vote for anyone whose claim to fame is being on one.
    Perhaps you should base someone on their substance and not what party they've been a part of for 'x' number of years?

You know I'm not a L, but Rupert does have many great plans for his state. Also, as for his 'claim to fame', are you aware that he has turned that into a MULTI-million dollar charity that he runs? That is more executive experience than most.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Perhaps you should base someone on their substance and not what party they've been a part of for 'x' number of years?

You know I'm not a L, but Rupert does have many great plans for his state. Also, as for his 'claim to fame', are you aware that he has turned that into a MULTI-million dollar charity that he runs? That is more executive experience than most.

Rupert may have great plans for the state, but the base he has to work from is tiny. Perhaps he will turn out to be a great spokesman for his party this election cycle, but he'd have been better off to run for state representative or even the state Senate before attempting to be the Governor.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Rupert may have great plans for the state, but the base he has to work from is tiny. Perhaps he will turn out to be a great spokesman for his party this election cycle, but he'd have been better off to run for state representative or even the state Senate before attempting to be the Governor.
    I don't disagree, and I think he's getting more attention than any other L would have. I just don't think he should be written off because he got his "break" from a tv show. He's done A LOT for the people of this state since then, including turning $1,000,000 into a multi-million dollar charity. You don't do that through luck.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't disagree, and I think he's getting more attention than any other L would have. I just don't think he should be written off because he got his "break" from a tv show. He's done A LOT for the people of this state since then, including turning $1,000,000 into a multi-million dollar charity. You don't do that through luck.

People tend to look at high-profile politicians as individuals, but Robert Heinlein - who had some experience in local/state politics, and even used that experience in several of his stories and a couple novels - said that a politician is the "face" of a team. Mike Pence used to bother me with his use of the word "we" when talking about his programs or what he intended to get accomplished until I realized he's probably acknowledging his "team" and his part in it.

Based on the lack of success by Libertarians in getting candidates elected to public office, state-wide, I suspect his "team", while probably accomplished and intelligent, is also probably thin in electoral politics experience and in practical governing experience, and THAT is why I believe he would be an overall failure, even if he succeeded in being elected to the Governorship.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Pence's conservatism doesn't bother me... His Republicanism does, however.

I have thought about voting for Bonham on principle... But then I realize how completely & utterly unqualified he is - no matter how "ideal" his ideals are.

I may very well vote for him anyhow - just because Pence will win by a decent margin. Won't be like I'll have "helped" another candidate win by voting 3rd party.

But...but...but He's a Libertarian!! I thought that was enough!!:laugh:

Seriously, at least on the 2A topic both Pence and Gregg have an A rating. At this point however I'm having a hard time trusting any Democrats. I still haven't forgotten the walk-out.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    But...but...but He's a Libertarian!! I thought that was enough!!:laugh:

Seriously, at least on the 2A topic both Pence and Gregg have an A rating. At this point however I'm having a hard time trusting any Democrats. I still haven't forgotten the walk-out.

Oooooh! And even though it didn't happen on his watch, I'm surprised that hasn't come up more often during this election cycle. In fact, I've only heard one radio commercial reminding us of a particular representative who walked out and "fled" to Illinois.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I enjoyed Pence's radio show long, long ago. Agreed with too much of what he had to say to be able to discount him now. That being said, he's got a strong Social Conservative streak that I don't like. I'll be watching him closely to see if he lets it out once he's in.

Gregg, the D in front of his name is enough for me to be skeptical to the point of intractable about not voting for him. To hear that he brought Vi Simpson on board, not voting for him is a no brainer, and I'm not just talking about Vi.

Rupert, I hate (sur)reality TV. To know that this guy's only claim to fame is a "reality" TV show is at least as damning as a claim to fame for being a "professional" "wrestler". Assuming his politics are good (read: properly libertarian), he needs to get into office at a much lower level, city, county, and serve a few years to a decade there, then move up to the GA, and after at least one term there, THEN, with a record to run on, make a push for the Governor's desk.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    While working the Wabash Valley Friends of NRA booth at the Knox Co. fair I had on several occasions to speak with John Gregg and his [then] wife. Needless to say I was not impressed.
    We always showcased our 5 gun raffle guns at the fair and sold chances @ 1 for $5.00 or 3 for $10.00. As members here are probably aware FNRA funds go for a variety of activities including range development and supporting the shooting sports in 4-H and the Boy Scouts. The Wabash Valley Sportsman Club was the reciepent of several grants, so some money stays local.
    I could never get John Gregg or his wife to cough up a measley 5 dollars for a raffle ticket. I ended up telling him that "if I had your money I would throw all of mine away".
    Needless to say Gregg will never get a vote of mine.
    Mike Pence all the way.

Top Bottom