• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm a millennial no matter how you slice it.

Not every car I've owned has had a manual transmission, but the one time I bought new, I made sure to mark that box. They actually had to trade for it from a dealer out of state, as there were none around. (It's just a Kia Soul, but it's still more fun with three pedals.)

I also rented a car last fall for driving on the Autobahn. I reserved an Alpha Romeo Guilia with a manual transmission. Instead I got a Citroen C3 Picasso as the "similar" car :n00b: and was told that it would be another 800 euro to change it. Needless to say, I'll never again rent from Avis/Budget. At least the minivan was still a manual.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I learned via 3 on the tree, taught both of my daughters how to drive one before they could get their drivers license. I'd be surprised if the youngest one still can but I'm sure the older one still can.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm a millennial no matter how you slice it.

Not every car I've owned has had a manual transmission, but the one time I bought new, I made sure to mark that box. They actually had to trade for it from a dealer out of state, as there were none around. (It's just a Kia Soul, but it's still more fun with three pedals.)

I also rented a car last fall for driving on the Autobahn. I reserved an Alpha Romeo Guilia with a manual transmission. Instead I got a Citroen C3 Picasso as the "similar" car :n00b: and was told that it would be another 800 euro to change it. Needless to say, I'll never again rent from Avis/Budget. At least the minivan was still a manual.

Maybe they pranked you, or the word "similar" means something else in German.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've driven one every day for the past 40 years as has the wife.... all of our children learned to drive manuals.

It amazes me how ill equipped some folks let themselves be.

Yeah, damn shame that they can only drive about 96% of the cars on the road today.
    I should probably be reported to CPS. I didn't teach my kids to drive a manual, use a rotary phone or rewind a cassette tape with a pencil, either. :):

I can drive a manual. Learned it on an early 70's Ford Pinto.

With the exception of the "fun" factor on sports cars, I see absolutely no use for a manual transmission for my needs.
    Pain in the ass. And modern automatics get better gas mileage and are generally faster in muscle/sports cars.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've driven a 3 speed column shift on an old Bronco II. My first new car was a 5 speed Geo.
    While it was fun to drive but it sure was a pain when driving through downtown Ft Wayne during rush hour.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    I see absolutely no use for a manual transmission for my needs.

And that's fine. There are people out there that don't know cars, who see them as just a means to commute and couldn't care less beyond that; they're the same kind of people who go to the dealer to get their oil changed and tires rotated because they can't be bothered to do it themselves. EDIT: Now that I think about it, they're also the kind of people who flock to self-driving cars and ride sharing programs; people who are more likely to see a car as a service rather than property.

It's like owning an Apple product. They want a Facebook machine that just werks and they don't have to screw with. But making everything [STRIKE]stupid-proof[/STRIKE] stupid resistant and user-friendly comes at the cost of added complexity and taking control away from the people who do care and do know what they're doing.

Last edited:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Millennial here, unfortunately. But I had an 06 GTO with a 6 speed and currently have a 54 Buick with 3 on the tree.

I am not worried about the Buick being stolen because not only is it 3 on tree but it doesn’t start when turning the switch. The geniuses at Buick had a way cooler way to get her to start!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    And that's fine. There are people out there that don't know cars, who see them as just a means to commute and couldn't care less beyond that; they're the same kind of people who go to the dealer to get their oil changed and tires rotated because they can't be bothered to do it themselves.
    It's like owning an Apple product. They want a Facebook machine that just werks and they don't have to screw with. But making everything [STRIKE]stupid-proof[/STRIKE] stupid resistant and user-friendly comes at the cost of added complexity and taking control away from the people who do care and do know what they're doing.

I'm not one to consider my cars as a means to commute. I like them loaded and fast. I enjoy them. And I don't want to be bothered with a less efficient throwback so that I can pretend that I'm some kind of neckbeard purist. My time is worth way more than the $30 it takes to get someone else to change my oil or spend the time to jack the car up and rotate the tires.

I like my iPhone as well. Not sure how it is both user-friendly and has added complexity, but it does what I need a pocket computer/phone to do. No screwing around with 10 different versions of operating systems, either.

I'm not one for needless complications in my life. Might say I'm kinda stupid-resistant. :):

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I'd probably have a tough time in a manual car for the first few minutes. In my semi, I only use the clutch to take off and float the rest of the time. So trying to remember to clutch between every gear might take a while.

Tell these sports car guys it’s not shifting unless you’re splitting haha

Millennial here with a manual in my pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Most of my vehicles have been manuals, and I still I’ll prefer them. When I got my current vehicle, I kept trying to clutch-foot the over sized brake pedal.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Millennial here, unfortunately. But I had an 06 GTO with a 6 speed and currently have a 54 Buick with 3 on the tree.

I am not worried about the Buick being stolen because not only is it 3 on tree but it doesn’t start when turning the switch. The geniuses at Buick had a way cooler way to get her to start!

"Back in the day" I had a 66 GTO with a 3-speed on the floor. I don't think I ever missed a gear with a column shift, can't say that about the Goat.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm a millennial and can drive a manual. When I first got my El Camino, it was a worn out 4 speed. Thankfully, Harley's are still manual and I'm on it everyday in the summer.

I've driven a "3 on the tree" once at our shop. Same thing only different just felt a little different.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    And that's fine. There are people out there that don't know cars, who see them as just a means to commute and couldn't care less beyond that; they're the same kind of people who go to the dealer to get their oil changed and tires rotated because they can't be bothered to do it themselves. EDIT: Now that I think about it, they're also the kind of people who flock to self-driving cars and ride sharing programs; people who are more likely to see a car as a service rather than property.

Wow, anyone that doesn't want to drive a stick, change their oil, or rotate their tires doesn't care or know what they're doing?

I've been there and done all of that. At this point in my life I have better things to do than change my oil or rotate my tires.

As far as a stick, I've owned a number of cars that had them. Today I have no interest in driving one. My dual-clutch is faster than a manual, and I can control it when I need/want to.

If you want to drive one, knock yourself out. You can keep the condescending opinions though. You are in no way more knowledgeable or superior just because you want to drive one.

Top Bottom