• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The GF and I were having this discussion this morning, I've gotten to the point where I'm starting to value my time more but I'm having a damned hard time reconciling that with paying for something I can do myself!:n00b:

I ask myself- what would I be doing if I were not working on this. A lot of times, the answer is a lot less satisfying than accomplishing something.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I ask myself- what would I be doing if I were not working on this. A lot of times, the answer is a lot less satisfying than accomplishing something.

What you see as an accomplishment, I see as a chore.

Being able to kick back with a cold beverage while someone else does my chores for minimal cost is an accomplishment to me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    With the exception of having "winter beaters" when I drove an MG as a college student, I have never willingly had an automatic. Wife prefers manual also. Research tells me that Subaru makes an automatic version of my WRX, but I've never seen one in the realz or at a club event

Not aware of any track record held by an automatic or automanual. Even a Formula 1 car isn't an automatic, it's a dry clutch robot transmission where hydraulics manipulate what at heart is a manual racing gearbox
    Try the top six times at Nurburgring. They all used paddles. The first stick is the Dodge Viper at #7.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My DD is a Audi A4 with a 6 speed manual.

I have no moral objection to automatics. I just wouldn't buy one from Audi.;)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    You don't like their dual-clutch gearbox?

Haven't tried it.

My car is old, a 2004.

I have a love hate relationship with Audi. My A4 is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. But it's reliability has been far less than stellar. I have heard they've gotten better. But if I buy another, it will likely be another manual. Their manual transmissions seem to be the only thing they build that do not break.:rolleyes:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Haven't tried it.

My car is old, a 2004.

I have a love hate relationship with Audi. My A4 is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. But it's reliability has been far less than stellar. I have heard they've gotten better. But if I buy another, it will likely be another manual. Their manual transmissions seem to be the only thing they build that do not break.:rolleyes:
    I can only speak from the VW perspective, and my Golf R has been trouble free for two and a half years and 52K miles. My only complaint is the way they have Drive programmed. It is pretty anemic. Especially the throttle response.

I tend to leave the car in sport mode for the most part.

As of now, I will probably end up buying another one when I decide to trade this one in next year. Although I will probably get the next one tuned.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've owned a lot of stick shifts over the years, from a 5 speed base Camaro in high school to my current 6 speed Camaro SS with a bunch of non-Camaros (and a Camaro) in between. 3 speed in a '75 GMC, 4 speed granny in an '87 Ram, I think the Saab convertible was a 5 speed. Camaro Z28 was a 6 speed.
    Everytime I see a camero out on the road it makes me want one even more. I'm worried I wont be able to get in and out of it. I guess I should try one. I have a couple other older cars I could sell to buy a new used one maybe. I dont even know the prices of anything.
    I learned how to drive on a stick shift. My dad wouldn't let me drive an automatic until to could drive a stick. And also learn how not to roll backwards on a hill and work the clutch. Found the biggest steapest hill in the country and made me try until I could do it with perfection. I hated that damn hill but it made me an excellent stick shift operator. There have been many times in my life its came jn handy and saved my ass once

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Yeah, damn shame that they can only drive about 96% of the cars on the road today.
    I should probably be reported to CPS. I didn't teach my kids to drive a manual, use a rotary phone or rewind a cassette tape with a pencil, either. :):

I can drive a manual. Learned it on an early 70's Ford Pinto.

With the exception of the "fun" factor on sports cars, I see absolutely no use for a manual transmission for my needs.
    Pain in the ass. And modern automatics get better gas mileage and are generally faster in muscle/sports cars.

I don't know about "better gas mileage". When I bought my '05 GTO, the manual was rated 3mpg better than the auto, and the price for the auto was more and had the $1200 "gas guzzler" tax added which made it more expensive than the 6-speed. Plus rowing through 6 gears is way more fun and engaging than any auto.

As a plus, I can replace the clutch/throwout bearing or repair the manual myself, as opposed to the complexity and specialized tools necessary to service an auto.

I get about 26 mpg going 70 in 6th in a 400hp 400ft/lbs car (The Corvette gets better due to its better Cd and DI engine).

What do oil changes cost nowadays $65 for Mobil 1 + filter? It's been a while since I've had it done, but I buy my oil & filters in bulk and probably costs me ~$35 per change. It only takes me 20 minutes since I got a Quickjack[SUP]tm [/SUP]lift.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Being able to kick back with a cold beverage while someone else does my chores for minimal cost is an accomplishment to me.

i see your point. I suppose my main problem is that if I wasn't changing the oil or replacing a hub, I'd be cutting down an ugly tree, staining the deck, rebuilding the fire ring or etc., etc., etc.

I know...I have a problem.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I can only speak from the VW perspective, and my Golf R has been trouble free for two and a half years and 52K miles. My only complaint is the way they have Drive programmed. It is pretty anemic. Especially the throttle response.

I tend to leave the car in sport mode for the most part.

As of now, I will probably end up buying another one when I decide to trade this one in next year. Although I will probably get the next one tuned.

Can you turn off the traction control? This will often lead to a noticeable improvement in throttle response even on dry roads. The system is still imposing constraints on response even when it isn't limiting output

Many late model cars with throttle by wire smooth out the throttle inputs because of emissions. At the 1 and 0 end of throttle settings you're running a bit richer or leaner until the engine catches up to your demands and that affects overall emissions (our cars are so much cleaner now that what used to be minor excursions become more important)

You can remap the throttle for real world response or sometimes people sell aftermarket modules for this purpose

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Can you turn off the traction control? This will often lead to a noticeable improvement in throttle response even on dry roads. The system is still imposing constraints on response even when it isn't limiting output

Many late model cars with throttle by wire smooth out the throttle inputs because of emissions. At the 1 and 0 end of throttle settings you're running a bit richer or leaner until the engine catches up to your demands and that affects overall emissions (our cars are so much cleaner now that what used to be minor excursions become more important)

You can remap the throttle for real world response or sometimes people sell aftermarket modules for this purpose
    Yeah, but Sport mode changes throttle response and holds gears longer for better performance. It is like two different cars, one boring and one fun. That is probably their goal though. It is targeted at a slightly different audience than its competitors like your WRX.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Is there any reason not to just leave it in sport mode 24/7/365? :)
    Well, when I am sitting in traffic I will shift to Drive to safe a itty bitty little bit of gas. :):
    Not for long though, because if I want to change lanes quickly, I want the throttle response.

Honestly, I am almost always in Sport.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Everytime I see a camero out on the road it makes me want one even more. I'm worried I wont be able to get in and out of it. I guess I should try one.

Not the most current body style, but the one before it (2010 to ???) is pretty easy to get in and out of. Roomier inside then the Mustang or newest Camaro. (CamAro, not CamEro). Does not require the lay down and roll in that a Corvette does, either.

I love mine. After about 4 hours I *have* to get out or my knee will be a bother when I get out. When I drove to Memphis I almost fell on my face when I got out at a gas station. I feel fine when I'm in the car, very comfy, but not being able to flex and move like I can in my truck gets to be a bother.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I take it you never go to a restaurant.

Over the years, I've become a pretty good chef.

Now and then, we will hit a restaurant out of convenience and such....I always ask the Mrs., "How was it?"

"It was alright....I've had better at home"

"Yep"

;)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Over the years, I've become a pretty good chef.

Now and then, we will hit a restaurant out of convenience and such....I always ask the Mrs., "How was it?"

"It was alright....I've had better at home"

"Yep"

;)

Yeah we find the restaurants are typically a let down also. We've found a few that does one or two things well so if you don't deviate from those your usually good to go. The biggest thing we've found with eating out though is that the portions are just too damn big. We went to a mexican place tonight and she had some sort of burrito that by itself was big enough for 3 people, then add in the sides and it gets ridiculous quick! She didn't come anywhere near finishing it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I worked an 80 hour week.
    I'll be damned if I'm going to spend any time wrestling with oil change, or brakes.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I worked an 80 hour week.
    I'll be damned if I'm going to spend any time wrestling with oil change, or brakes.

I used to change my own oil back when they made vehicles easy to work on. All of my newer cars have stupid quirks that make changing oil a pain. I still buy my own oil and filter, but just pay the shop down the road $18 for the labor to change it while I sit in my car.

Top Bottom