• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I am sure the INGO would support gun storage requirements.

I'm on board with tax credits for storage devices and training. Why require when you can encourage? Who am I kidding, it'll end up like the crony capitalism version of the training teachers to be armed bill. Need more coffee to fight off these negative waves...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Having known several grown men that kept a gun in the car/truck full time and the guns were eventually stolen I would "NEVER" leave one unattended unless it was locked/secured "Properly".

Come on Acteon your house will not be sitting in a WalMart parking lot. My house is as secure as humanly possible. A car is a mobile target for a sub-culture of thieving douche bags that are devoid of honor at any level.

Apples to Apples.
    I understand why you lock your house, it’s common sense.
    What if you lived in a place where you didn’t have too?
    I’m sure most people think that place doesn’t exist any more.
    Everybody's perspective is shaped by their environment.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm on board with tax credits for storage devices and training. Why require when you can encourage? Who am I kidding, it'll end up like the crony capitalism version of the training teachers to be armed bill. Need more coffee to fight off these negative waves...

iu

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I have situations where I have to leave it in a vehicle, such as work, but never full time. But I do have a custom safe in each of my own primary vehicles, so getting to it is going to be a much bigger challenge than a glove box or hiding spot provides. The safes are bolted in and have commercial grade locks on them. One even has 1/8" steel. They'd be better off stealing the whole vehicle. That's tough for most criminals, too, as my two primaries have manual transmissions. ;)

I've known too many people who had a gun in a glove box that wound up stolen. Most often it was in their own driveway at night. I don't leave mine overnight, but if I did, again, it'd be in a safe, locked, and in the garage, which is also locked.

I know too many folks

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have situations where I have to leave it in a vehicle, such as work, but never full time. But I do have a custom safe in each of my own primary vehicles, so getting to it is going to be a much bigger challenge than a glove box or hiding spot provides. The safes are bolted in and have commercial grade locks on them. One even has 1/8" steel. They'd be better off stealing the whole vehicle. That's tough for most criminals, too, as my two primaries have manual transmissions. ;)

I've known too many people who had a gun in a glove box that wound up stolen. Most often it was in their own driveway at night. I don't leave mine overnight, but if I did, again, it'd be in a safe, locked, and in the garage, which is also locked.

I know too many folks
    The Goshen paper is full every week of people's vehicles getting broken into while they are working during the day.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Your house, your car, your cabin, your whatever, I carry one 24/7, and have one in a vehicle lock box, for emergency use only.
    How many stick ups, carjackings happen when folks don't have anything to protect themselves with ?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So I just read where in one jurisdiction, something like 80 percent of guns stolen from vehicles, were stolen from UNLOCKED vehicles.
    A simple smash and grab.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I keep a long gun in vehicles since Covid and the riots. Old pump shotgun. If it does get stolen I am not out much. Pistol stays with me

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    It's a personal decision, not a "One size fits all" one.

Can not carry at work.
    Secure, fenced parking at work.
    Motion lights and security cameras at home.
    A small fortune of tools carried 24/7
    Locking glovebox.
    I am the only driver of my car

Yes,
    I keep a cheap pistol in my car.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I am currently looking for lockable boxes for under the back seat of my truck. Want it to be able to store my GHB as well as a carbine.

Main problem is that I am currently leasing. Hate to drop $500 on an item that probably won't fit the next truck. Am also looking at some molded plastic versions. Neither will keep a determined person out, just not sure if the plastic version will slow down the potential smash and grab.

Was talking to a cop buddy and he suggested I build one myself. There is potential there as well, but timing is always off.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How many folks without a gun in the car have their vehicle randomly broken into?

Guns stolen from vehicles are typically stolen by people who had an indication that a firearm would be in there.

Gray man in person. Gray man on vehicle.

Don't leave other indicators of value in plain site in vehicle. Don't haul bags or gear in and out of vehicle in plain sight. Driveway, street, parking lot, anywhere. If you must, move long guns and cases in and out of vehicle do it in the garage or very discretely in the dark.

STFU to your neighbors, friends, coworkers and family about the possibility of guns in your vehicle, going to the range, etc. Loose libs sink ships. Especially among innocents, like family. Innocent youths are worst at passing along your treasures to steal. "Uncle Joey has a LOT of guns..."

Sorry OC guys, just don't do it whenever you could be associated with your vehicle. Cover garment in and out of car, walk a few blocks before showing your gat. Make sure you are not followed after you do.

Alright, so this statement will really wind some of you up...

If you have done everything to the best of your ability to keep your vehicle firearm secret, just make sure you have duplicates. A certain amount of stowing a SHTF gun in the car IS that it might be stolen. Duplicates make the financial burden of a theft seem more spread out vs your whole investment in self defense being taken. On top of the insecurity of a thief now having a firearm and you do not.

Part of having a fireman in the vehicle is the REALITY that you might just lose it. Have more...

If you are dead because the self defense tool needed was left at home, what was the point in having it in the first place?

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    How many folks without a gun in the car have their vehicle randomly broken into?

Guns stolen from vehicles are typically stolen by people who had an indication that a firearm would be in there.

very good advice. Ignore your ego and run silent

Gray man in person. Gray man on vehicle.

Don't leave other indicators of value in plain site in vehicle. Don't haul bags or gear in and out of vehicle in plain sight. Driveway, street, parking lot, anywhere. If you must, move long guns and cases in and out of vehicle do it in the garage or very discretely in the dark.

STFU to your neighbors, friends, coworkers and family about the possibility of guns in your vehicle, going to the range, etc. Loose libs sink ships. Especially among innocents, like family. Innocent youths are worst at passing along your treasures to steal. "Uncle Joey has a LOT of guns..."

Sorry OC guys, just don't do it whenever you could be associated with your vehicle. Cover garment in and out of car, walk a few blocks before showing your gat. Make sure you are not followed after you do.

Alright, so this statement will really wind some of you up...

If you have done everything to the best of your ability to keep your vehicle firearm secret, just make sure you have duplicates. A certain amount of stowing a SHTF gun in the car IS that it might be stolen.

Part of having a fireman in the vehicle is the REALITY that you might just lose it. Have more...

very good advice. Ignore your ego and run silent

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I guess as this thread progressed, I am confused.

Is the primary fear of having a firearm stolen because of loss of an asset or a gun ending up in the hands of a criminal?

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Probably both.
    I was thinking about it and i am more concerned with the gun being on the streets. When choosing an edc or car gun, to me it is a non recoupable finacial expense. to me thats the cost of protecting myself. obviously i minimize the risk, i hope that goes without saying.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The criminal will get a gun in their hands if they want one. Where they get the gun from is irrelevant, as long as we don't advertise one for the stealing.

Are more guns stolen from vehicles or from homes?

Top Bottom