• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I was thinking about it and i am more concerned with the gun being on the streets. When choosing an edc or car gun, to me it is a non recoupable finacial expense. to me thats the cost of protecting myself. obviously i minimize the risk, i hope that goes without saying.

I depends on your financial status I guess.
    If they get a gun stolen some people can just buy another one the next day, others might have to save money for months or years.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you have a teenager under 18 driving your car/truck with a gun they can be in trouble with a firearm in the car. It all depends what the cop doing the stop wants to do. I know of guns keep under the seat that have slide out on a hard stop. A accident can cause a lockbox to show, kid driving, you show up to collect gun, kid had control of truck what can the cop do? Grandkid works for me and drives my truck picking up items at TSC and RK so I don't want any chance he could lose his gun ownership at 18. Keeping it on me is better than in truck, have another grandson and grand-daughter growing up to help.

Challenger76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2020
    South Bend
    I live in South Bend no chance of me ever leaving my gun in my car. It's actually do bad here we leave our car doors unlocked as to not have our windows Smashed out again. The thieves here are constantly going thru our cars for change. Yeah yeah yeah, I know I should move but not in my circumstances

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Carry when you can, leave it in Tesla glove compartment when you can’t carry. Tesla can optionally put a PIN required to open glove compartment, plus has a Sentry mode which videos any movement around car (front, sides, rear), and sends alarm to your phone if someone tries to break in.

Williammckinley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2019
    Milan
    Keep it secure.

Why would someone keep a gun in the vehicle full time? To me that is just asking to have the gun stolen. It also means the teen grandkid can't run to TSC or RK to get tee post without you going also or removing the gun.
    If not on your person a firearm should be secured to prevent unauthorized users.
    i have a very good secure place with easy personalized access in each of my vehicles and various other places that I remove my weapon from my person.
    what good will my weapon be if I do not have access? Just sayin

FWB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hope, IN
    On the rare times that i need to leave a handgun in a vehicle, it goes into a safe which is connected the frame. It may not be foolproof, but it makes it difficult to steal and prevents most unattended access to it.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Better to have.....

I keep one in the vehicle at all times. It is my SHTF get home 9mm. Locked up out of sight. The only person who knows that it is always locked in the vehicle is my wife. The gun box is locked on a short 1500lb steel cable. Is it perfectly secure, nope. Vehicle could be stolen but it is peace of mind that should riots or calamity strike, I can tread the 20 miles home knowing that I have protection beyond my fist, unless my truck is stolen. Besides, I am getting older daily and been out of the gym since the covid 19 b.s. erupted. will avoid confrontation until I can't. Outside of work, always have my carry pistol, always!

Wire Fox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I used to keep a rifle in my trunk full time as a convenience item. I've since become wiser and no longer leave any firearm unattended in my vehicle for any long length of time. There's times where I cannot carry at a specific location, so it will be secured in the vehicle for that duration in a very out-of-sight and secured location. All other times, it's either directly on me or secured in a safe at home.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I used to do this when I was working downtown and I couldn't carry at my job, but now that I'm remote I never leave a firearm in the car. I knew it was bad at the time. I still think it's bad. I just did it so I'd have one on my way to work and on the way home in case something bad happened.

If you can carry on your person it's best to just do that.

SolidDragon74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2020
    Northern
    I keep a spare mag for my carry gun in my vehicle. Thought about a cheaper rifle for the truck but would hate to leave it in there over long periods in fear of truck or gun being stolen. But if going on a trip through gun friendly states I would have one with me just due to rioting and political tensions at the time. But as said before, best to keep your mouth shut as to what's in your car. We don't need people blabbing what so and so has with them.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I keep a 22 lr revolver, and some ammo, stored in a case, and padlocked to the mount for the spare/jack in my trunk. In case I ever have to stop and change a tire, I will always have something. I have done this since Bill Cosbys kid got shot in a robbery attempt while he was changing a tire. Annually I check the spare, check the pistol and swap the ammo. No one is going to search the spare if they ever break in. A 22lr in the hand is better then nothing.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Personally speaking, I am strongly considering and preparing for having a full time rifle in the truck. Not only because of the riots which I think will happen with increasing frequency but because less than a mile from my office there was a random drug induced shooting this year (I'm in a small suburb of Indianapolis. Not even a city yet, a town). I am also in the market for a SBS for the same reason, as soon as the market on shockwaves normalizes.
    It won't be permanent because my young children like to ride in the truck frequently, and I'm still working out an accessible/secure spot for it.
    Crazy times.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    My bank has a metal detector. Go in one door, it closes, then metal detector, it goes off- you do not get in. So I usually do the drive through or ATM.

TitanUp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2020
    Carmel
    I keep mine in both of my cars at all times. It’s going to be my wife and I only driving them and she also has her ltch. If someone happens to borrow the cars I always take it out. Luckily we live in a community where forced entry is nearly inexistant. There’s been times when I’ve left the house without my carry and can use the vehicle firearm as a carry if need be.

Top Bottom