• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    AA&E is correct. Not saying it's impossible to have a malfunction, but more often than not it is negligence on the part of the gun owner. Here's a fun fact, no one has shot them self with a gun if they weren't pointing it at themselves or in an unsafe direction. I suggest you look up the four rules of gun safety and memorize them. All guns are always loaded...so don't point it at yourself or you could get shot.

I know the rules. Ive been shooting for 18 years and was taught by a former Marshall/D.O.C. employee of 30 years. I am also in corrections, and have gone through officer training. The fact is, the guy that was carrying it wasn't me, so no, I don't trust that he knows what he's doing, that he has properly cared for his firearm, or that he's had properly trained people perform his gunsmithing. You choose not to use a holster with a thumb break, that's fine. Personally, I think it's a bad idea.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    This weapon was engineered specifically to prevent such conditions from occuring. If you understood the design and the independent nature of the safety features, you'd understand the reason why this weapon is carried cocked and locked. The only chance of this being an issue in my opinion, would be due to components that become out of manufacturer specifications due to attempted service by untrained persons, or possibly wear well beyond the norm. The level of wear would be extreme, obvious, and beyond what a person would reasonably consider a reliable self defense weapon. I'd suggest stranger things have not happened, and instances where people accidently shoot themselves its not caused by a malfunctioning safety on a 1911.

You're correct, I am not intimately familiar with the design of the 1911's safety features. Then again, I wasn't familiar with the engineering of the challenger space shuttle but i'm pretty sure it wasn't engineered to blow up. S*** happens. Google search 1911 safety malfunctions and you'll see that it does in fact happen. Here is a quote from one individual regarding a brand new gun: "I just brought my PT1911 home and was messing with it checking it out. Lucklily it wasn't loaded. I cocked it, turned the safety on and pulled the trigger..... CLICK! Hammer dropped! What the heck! Did it again same thing. Called the shop that sold it to me and they said bring it back and he will fix it. Any idea what could be wrong?" There's a reason you see factories doing recalls on their weapons.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I know the rules. Ive been shooting for 18 years and was taught by a former Marshall/D.O.C. employee of 30 years. I am also in corrections, and have gone through officer training. The fact is, the guy that was carrying it wasn't me, so no, I don't trust that he knows what he's doing, that he has properly cared for his firearm, or that he's had properly trained people perform his gunsmithing. You choose not to use a holster with a thumb break, that's fine. Personally, I think it's a bad idea.

I would say, and I have no actual figures to back this up, just from personal experience and what I see out there, that the overwhelming majority of holsters designed and sold for the 1911 are not of a thumb break style. If you are not comfortable carrying that way that is perfectly fine, however to call out another gun owner and imply that he is less than smart or in some way a danger because he does not choose to use a thumb break holster shows a lack of understanding of the firearm and how it is normally carried by most people. The example you gave of the Taurus with the non working safety is irrelevant because the guy did what you are supposed to do: throughly check a weapon before carrying it. If you do not do this then you should not be carrying at all no matter what holster you are using. Also if you are not comfortable carrying a certain gun in the way it was meant to be carried or do not have faith in the mechanical trustworthiness of that gun, then you should find a different type of gun that you are comfortable with and do trust.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    You're correct, I am not intimately familiar with the design of the 1911's safety features. Then again, I wasn't familiar with the engineering of the challenger space shuttle but i'm pretty sure it wasn't engineered to blow up. S*** happens. Google search 1911 safety malfunctions and you'll see that it does in fact happen. Here is a quote from one individual regarding a brand new gun: "I just brought my PT1911 home and was messing with it checking it out. Lucklily it wasn't loaded. I cocked it, turned the safety on and pulled the trigger..... CLICK! Hammer dropped! What the heck! Did it again same thing. Called the shop that sold it to me and they said bring it back and he will fix it. Any idea what could be wrong?" There's a reason you see factories doing recalls on their weapons.

My advise would be to buy better quality weapons if someone is experiencing malfuctions as described, not knock offs produced by god know who. This weapon design is over 100 years old. It is the most prolific sidearm the world has ever seen. I have personal experience involving the handling and inspection of hundreds, if not thousands, of military issue 1911 side arms. I stand by my statements and carry condition one. Hopefully, you have an opportunity to react and survive an attack from condition two. My family isn't worth that risk. You should reassess your choice of personal protection firearm, you don't appear to have much faith in its design.

Consider the nature of your detailed defect, the most rudimentary quality control would have never allowed that out the door. That said I check and inspect everything I touch, buy, and own. Noone is suggesting a person trust an untested weapon. That was kind of the point of the thread.

Last edited:

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    My advise would be to buy better quality weapons if someone is experiencing malfuctions as described, not knock offs produced by god know who. This weapon design is over 100 years old. It is the most prolific sidearm the world has ever seen. I have personal experience involving the handling and inspection of hundreds, if not thousands, of military issue 1911 side arms. I stand by my statements and carry condition one. Hopefully, you have an opportunity to react and survive an attack from condition two. My family isn't worth that risk. You should reassess your choice of personal protection firearm, you don't appear to have much faith in its design.

Consider the nature of your detailed defect, the most rudimentary quality control would have never allowed that out the door. That said I check and inspect everything I touch, buy, and own. Noone is suggesting a person trust an untested weapon. That was kind of the point of the thread.

It's not that I don't have faith in the weapon's design. I love my 1911, and I know the safeties have worked every time i've checked them. But I also believe in chance/freak occurances, so I use a holster with a thumb break. When I can unsnap and draw my weapon in the same motion, I don't view it as a liability; it's simply an extra safety measure. The guy I referenced in my OP was obviously fine carrying without a thumb break, but (and I don't know how familiar you are with tattoo parlors) when he laid down on the table and his gun was subsequently pointed at me, cocked and locked, it led me to question his attention to safety.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I would say, and I have no actual figures to back this up, just from personal experience and what I see out there, that the overwhelming majority of holsters designed and sold for the 1911 are not of a thumb break style. If you are not comfortable carrying that way that is perfectly fine, however to call out another gun owner and imply that he is less than smart or in some way a danger because he does not choose to use a thumb break holster shows a lack of understanding of the firearm and how it is normally carried by most people. The example you gave of the Taurus with the non working safety is irrelevant because the guy did what you are supposed to do: throughly check a weapon before carrying it. If you do not do this then you should not be carrying at all no matter what holster you are using. Also if you are not comfortable carrying a certain gun in the way it was meant to be carried or do not have faith in the mechanical trustworthiness of that gun, then you should find a different type of gun that you are comfortable with and do trust.

The point of the quote about the Taurus was in response to a previous poster's implication that the design prevents them from malfunctioning directly from the factory.

As for the part of your statement that I put in bold, when your gun is pointed at me, cocked and locked, then yes, I consider you a danger and I feel you are unaware of your surroundings.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    It's not that I don't have faith in the weapon's design. I love my 1911, and I know the safeties have worked every time i've checked them. But I also believe in chance/freak occurances, so I use a holster with a thumb break. When I can unsnap and draw my weapon in the same motion, I don't view it as a liability; it's simply an extra safety measure. The guy I referenced in my OP was obviously fine carrying without a thumb break, but (and I don't know how familiar you are with tattoo parlors) when he laid down on the table and his gun was subsequently pointed at me, cocked and locked, it led me to question his attention to safety.

I am intimately familiar with tattoo parlors and yes, I would take issue with that same situation as well. I don't ever want to be barrel sweeped. Even if it were in a holster. But let me ask you a question.

Lets say you are walking down the street and a passerby physically attacks you. You are fending off blows with one hand, grappling.. maybe already on the ground.. you reach for your condition 2 sidearm and what? In that scenario you are at a significant disadvantage to a person in condition one. Muggings and random beat downs for pure entertainment occur like this everyday.

In condition one you thumb swipe that safety off and in an instant have turned the tables on a person that had the advantage of surprise. You have every right to have the concerns you do, better too safe then not safe enough. If I were you, having those concerns, I'd be carrying something double action only in automatic, or a D/A revolver.

Personally, I like holsters that do offer some level of retention besides a snug fit that gradually loosens over time. Trigger tension retention is my preference (adjustable) but i could live with a thumbbreak and not be bothered by it.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    This weapon was engineered specifically to prevent such conditions from occuring. If you understood the design and the independent nature of the safety features, you'd understand the reason why this weapon is carried cocked and locked. The only chance of this being an issue in my opinion, would be due to components that become out of manufacturer specifications due to attempted service by untrained persons, or possibly wear well beyond the norm. The level of wear would be extreme, obvious, and beyond what a person would reasonably consider a reliable self defense weapon. I'd suggest stranger things have not happened, and instances where people accidently shoot themselves its not caused by a malfunctioning safety on a 1911.

:yesway:.....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Seems to me a 1911 without a safety basically makes the gun similar to a Glock or more specifically an XD. Back to the original rant.

I carried an unfired gun once. Was going to meet a guy at the range on my way to an INGO meet and greet. That did not work out. So I carried my new gun in its new holster that evening. Figured I would be safe enough.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My advise would be to buy better quality weapons if someone is experiencing malfuctions as described, not knock offs produced by god know who. This weapon design is over 100 years old. It is the most prolific sidearm the world has ever seen. I have personal experience involving the handling and inspection of hundreds, if not thousands, of military issue 1911 side arms. I stand by my statements and carry condition one. Hopefully, you have an opportunity to react and survive an attack from condition two. My family isn't worth that risk. You should reassess your choice of personal protection firearm, you don't appear to have much faith in its design.'s

1911's are by design intended to be carried in condition 1.

Texas-M4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    Dallas
    Ok, this is a small rant about something I've seen in the classifieds, but not the typical "price gouging" rant that you expected.

"For sale: never fired (zero round count) ABC pistol that has been carried in an XYZ holster for about a month."

Do people really carry a pistol that they have never fired? :ugh:
    Rant over. Carry on.

Can't imagine carrying anything without practice first@!

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Misquoted? That's what I've been trying to convince OP of....

Oye, I should've just gone back and edited my original post to more clearly convey my point. The point of my OP was that he laid down on a tattoo parlor table with his gun pointed at me. The way he was carrying was secondary, and more of my personal opinion.

BTW AA&E, it's funny you mention I might consider carrying something in DA or DA/SA, because I carry my Model 60 more than anything else.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    After reading through that thread you still decided on starting a similar one? By no means was that an explanation, more so a thorough statement as I don't need to explain myself to anyone on the "interwebz" on my personal way of making sure a new gun/holster is safe to carry while having a snap cap in it. If my way of doing things offends you or any other "gun guru", oh well. :twocents:
    Actually, no, I didn't read through that thread and then decide to post a similar thread. That would be kinda foolish, don't ya think? I didn't see that thread until Chezuki posted the "parallel" link on this thread. If you notice, I did not post a link to your add, I did not mention you by name, and I didn't even call you stupid. I asked if people really carry a firearm without testing it first (which in my not-very-humble opinion is stupid.) After reading the thread that Chezuki posted (in which you posted a "thorough statement") I understood what you were doing. True, you dont need to explain anything to anyone on here. However, upon reading the add in the classified, I considered you a liar or a fool.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I get annoyed when the title says something like "Brand new gun" and then in the description you read "only 100 rounds down the pipe" or "low round count"

Top Bottom