• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    And now there's already calls for $20/hr min. wage.

Why stop there? Can I get $50? $50 going once, going twice....

In all seriousness, if FORCING a higher wage is a good thing, then
    1) why isn't higher than $15 even better?
    2) If it isn't better, when does it go from better to worse?
    3) According to whom?
    4) Using what measure?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I bring home $28K a year base, cant afford a new truck or high speed internet, but if i told you my hourly wage you wouldn't believe me...surely you bring home more than that!

Every nickel that i make goes to the mortgage and child care.

Tax reduction and controlling insurance penalties would help me a heck of a lot more than a higher wage.

They're looking in the wrong spots.

Shred

$28K per year (take home) isn't that bad.
    Well... with at least one child, that's EIC tax territory. (i.e. tax refund is greater than withholdings)
    Even without, $24K standard deduction... little or no taxes paid.

I'm not sure how much your income is above your base, but I find it hard to believe that tax reduction benefits more than a raise. Sort hearkens back to the saying, "There's no replacement for displacement".

As to the topic, the problem is cost of living - $15 / hr in NYC isn't the same as $15 / hr in Fort Wayne. The former may get you ramen in a broom closet, the latter may be a "livable wage".

YMMV, of course.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

1) why isn't higher than $15 even better?
    2) If it isn't better, when does it go from better to worse?
    3) According to whom?
    4) Using what measure?

I'm pretty sure everyone sane acknowledges there's unintended consequences with raising the m.w., and there's a point where those become severe problems.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well... with at least one child, that's EIC tax territory. (i.e. tax refund is greater than withholdings)
    Even without, $24K standard deduction... little or no taxes paid.

I'm not sure how much your income is above your base, but I find it hard to believe that tax reduction benefits more than a raise. Sort hearkens back to the saying, "There's no replacement for displacement".

As to the topic, the problem is cost of living - $15 / hr in NYC isn't the same as $15 / hr in Fort Wayne. The former may get you ramen in a broom closet, the latter may be a "livable wage".

YMMV, of course.

^^^This^^^ When DoggyMama's daughter moved out to California her soon-to-be baby-daddy (who was out on parole from prison :rolleyes:) allegedly had a job lined up as a welder's apprentice making $17/hr.. I tried to explain to her that even $17/hr. in California isn't much over minimum wage here in Indiana when you consider the difference in the cost of living between the two states.

Btw, since he didn't have a vehicle or a driver's license, and found out he would have to get up at 5:30 a.m. to catch the bus to his alleged job, he never showed up. I was shocked. Shocked I tell you.

shocked_face_2.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Btw, since he didn't have a vehicle or a driver's license, and found out he would have to get up at 5:30 a.m. to catch the bus to his alleged job, he never showed up...
    Strikes 1, 2 and 3.

All show a terminal lack of ambition and work ethic. That's no-go territory.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

1) why isn't higher than $15 even better?...

Everyone advocating for having no minimum wage just want to take advantage of all those poor people who will show up to work for free.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Strikes 1, 2 and 3.

All show a terminal lack of ambition and work ethic. That's no-go territory.

You're preaching to the choir, believe me. Unfortunately she has the same work ethic (or lack thereof). They're a match made in... well, somewhere. I guess that's what you get when you start a relationship by corresponding with a prisoner over social media. :nuts:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You're preaching to the choir, believe me. Unfortunately she has the same work ethic (or lack thereof). They're a match made in... well, somewhere. I guess that's what you get when you start a relationship by corresponding with a prisoner over social media. :nuts:
    First off, what prison system allows the use of the internet, much less social media?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    First off, what prison system allows the use of the internet, much less social media?

Apparently the California DOC does. He was in for dealing meth (10 years). She was talking to him on Facebook or something and apparently Face-timing with him? I don't know anything about that stuff.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Apparently the California DOC does. He was in for dealing meth (10 years). She was talking to him on Facebook or something and apparently Face-timing with him? I don't know anything about that stuff.
    That tears it, I’m going to prison in Cali, I gets interwebz to locate a future side piece/care provider and I believe they pay better than most prisons when you have to work.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    HAH! I wish my former job had made me quit working at 40 hours per week.

I hear ya. Years ago I worked for a blue-chip company. It was unionized. I was a salaried employee. I worked for a manager who demanded at least 20 hours of casual OT per week. (Casual OT just meant hours over 40) He also was one of those *******s who pit peers against each other. He was eventually cut off at the knees as the company slashed middle managers to flatten out the management structure. He didn’t get canned. They just made his life miserable until he moved on to another company.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hear ya. Years ago I worked for a blue-chip company. It was unionized. I was a salaried employee. I worked for a manager who demanded at least 20 hours of casual OT per week. (Casual OT just meant hours over 40) He also was one of those *******s who pit peers against each other. He was eventually cut off at the knees as the company slashed middle managers to flatten out the management structure. He didn’t get canned. They just made his life miserable until he moved on to another company.

I have worked 1 salaried position. I knew better going into it but the bonuses and etc's were a perk that enticed me into it. At the end of my year I was figuring up my bonus only to find they were not giving them out hat year. They claimed the numbers were not there to warrant. I proved my dept (Service division at a large HVAC contractor) not only exceeded the base numbers I was given but supported most of the other deadbeat depts. No matter. No bonuses. Man was I pissed right the hell off and told them so. I worked a minimum of 50 and as many as 65 in the busy times. The owner said that was expected even without the bonus.

That afternoon I left on a customer call to fix situation. Half way there I stopped, made 3 phone calls. 1 to my new spouse. 1 to another company and 1 to a good buddy. Told the spouse I quite. Got a better job at the other company back in a service truck by the hour billed/worked and my buddy met me at the bar.

Dont **** with your good help that makes the gears turn. The owner called me relentlessly for a solid week. Finally told him to **** off in so many words. If you screwed me then you will not hesitate to do it again.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    $28K per year (take home) isn't that bad.

For a single guy, no... two kids in daycare costs $1200/mo...the average mortgage(arounder here) is $800-1000/mo.
    So that stated, is $2200/mo x12mo= $26,400 yearly.

So a second income is required for things like food, gas, electricty, car insurance, utilities, etc.

Not bad is the perception until you look at the rest of the story...it would appear that i need to make more money to sustain my current mean of living, right?

What if i did not have to pay the insurance company a $150mo penalty for having a family plan?
    What if gas wasn't taxed to double the price?
    What if goods were not taxed so many times before they reach the consumer?

All of these things, and many more, would put more money in my pocket without costing my employer a dime.

-shred

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For a single guy, no... two kids in daycare costs $1200/mo...the average mortgage(arounder here) is $800-1000/mo.
    So that stated, is $2200/mo x12mo= $26,400 yearly.

So a second income is required for things like food, gas, electricty, car insurance, utilities, etc.

Not bad is the perception until you look at the rest of the story...it would appear that i need to make more money to sustain my current mean of living, right?

What if i did not have to pay the insurance company a $150mo penalty for having a family plan?
    What if gas wasn't taxed to double the price?
    What if goods were not taxed so many times before they reach the consumer?

All of these things, and many more, would put more money in my pocket without costing my employer a dime.

-shred

Agreed on all.

Except during this time that I've been laid off from my full time job, I've haven't had fewer than two jobs since 2010 or so. I occasionally have two now when I can get temp assignments.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Everyone advocating for having no minimum wage just want to take advantage of all those poor people who will show up to work for free.

I'm not sure if purple is missing, but I have to say I've never expected anything but my money's worth from free labor.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    This whole conversation about a "living wage" is just garbage political talk anyway. Nearly everyone already makes more than the min wage.

The Median income from those between the ages of 15-24 is $40,000 The Median income for those with NO HS diploma is $30,000. Wages only go up from there with age and education.

People who actually work and try to make their lives better already make more than the proposed $15/hr min wage. Like I said before, the only thing raising the min wage is going to do is disenfranchise those who are already hustling.

The lazy slobs who only make the min wage are going to continue to be poor lazy slobs even with their higher wage. Culture matters and everyone needs to stop pretending that it doesn't.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not sure if purple is missing, but I have to say I've never expected anything but my money's worth from free labor.

I'm gonna go out on a limb to predict that considering the entire wage scale, the closer you get to zero pay, the fewer people will show up to do that job. So, if the job needs done, employers would have to pay at least enough to get enough people that are willing to work for it.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm gonna go out on a limb to predict that considering the entire wage scale, the closer you get to zero pay, the fewer people will show up to do that job. So, if the job needs done, employers would have to pay at least enough to get enough people that are willing to work for it.

That would assume that market forces actually work. As we all know, only the government can properly determine wages and prices, based on social justice. Greedy capitalist pigs!! Right comrade?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Heck, I kinda admire the chutzpah of making these employees salaried to avoid paying overtime.

Bernie- he's for the little guy.

No good deed goes unpunished :D

Hypocrisy Update: Sanders Campaign Hit With Federal Labor Complaint

The complaint alleges more than just wage problems, however:
    The unfair labor practice complaint mentions five alleged violations of the National Labor Relations Act, including improper retaliation against employees and even the unlawful discharge of a staffer.​

Goodness gracious. Next we'll find out that Bernie has bourgeois tendencies, maybe a hoarder and a wrecker. Possibly a Kulak! Horrors!

ETA: NLRB website verifies complaint exists: https://www.nlrb.gov/case/25-CA-245250

Last edited:
    Top Bottom