• ...and so much more!
  • Doty

At peace
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I went to the Indy 1500 recently and didn't have any guns pointed at me. I do understand how that would be uncomfortable and might even make some get violent. If you take some time to read the manual that comes with any gun, it says treat it as if its loaded AT ALL TIMES. But this thread has gotten off topic. Most Walmart's i've been to have ignorant employees and they know very little about the products they are supplying. even those with a "manager" name tag. I was in the situation like this recently and found out that using google on my phone while in the store is more helpful.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I go to Waly World for one reason only and that is low prices. IMO to go to wal-mart and expect more than slow inept help is a lesson in futility. :twocents:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Its Walmart, what do you expect a $7/hr expert? If you want knowledgeable sales people go to a gun shop. Yeah you may pay more but the salesman knows about guns and gun safety.

^This!
    :+1: & well said.

You don't like the risk of getting firearm pointed at you at Wal-mart then don't shop there for that item. Others may accept that level of risk and will shop there. Free market you can buy/shop whereever you like.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You assume that every firearm is loaded. That's the best rule of thumb. And I don't care if it's Wal-Mart or not. If you haven't cleared it, then it's loaded.
    Yep. Over the last year, I've cleared rounds out of half a dozen or so unloaded guns.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Today I went to Wal-Mart to look at their Remington 870’s. The young guy behind the counter tried to tell me that the Remington 870 Express Combo came with two barrels, because one barrel is for 12g shells and the other is for 20g shells. Nice deal, huh. I can shoot two types of shells for the price of one shotgun. At least he didn’t pretend to have an abundance of knowledge about shotguns, but come on. Give the cabinet key to someone that knows something. What is the stupidest/worse piece of misinformation you have ever heard at the Wally World gun counter?

Here's a couple of my wonderful experiences with dumb people at wal-mart...

I went to stock up on ammo one day, the guy behind the counter had his camo hat on and was talking guns with another person that worked there. I thought, "Great, I dont' have to walk back there and pick up the boxes myself this time." So I tell him what I need and he grabs the ammo. He goes to ring them all up, doing the .22LR bulk box first. On the register it asks if it's for a rifle or handgun. He then says, "You stupid thing, long rifle rounds can't go in a handgun!" :n00b: And that was when my hope for having someone back there who actually knows something about firearms was lost once again.

Another time, a friend of mine went to wal-mart to get a new fish. She really likes fish and is not a dog or cat person.... anyways, she gets someone to help her. After picking out the beta fish, she goes to pay for it in the line with the fish in the little baggie... The wal-mart cashier tells my friend that she shouldn't put the fish in a shopping bag because it won't be able to breathe. :facepalm:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    No doubt. That is hilarious. What was your friends response?

She gave her the look... shook her head, laughed along with me, then we just walked away. Even the people behind us were laughing about this one. The best part is I don't even think the cashier knew why everyone was laughing, she just had that odd smile on her face...:):

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    She gave her the look... shook her head, laughed along with me, then we just walked away. Even the people behind us were laughing about this one. The best part is I don't even think the cashier knew why everyone was laughing, she just had that odd smile on her face...:):

Should have said: "OMG you are right!!!! Quick someone get this fish out of the water before it drowns!"

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Should have said: "OMG you are right!!!! Quick someone get this fish out of the water before it drowns!"

:laugh: That would have been great! But I was so surprised and taken off guard by her stupidity I was at a loss for words... which usually doesn't happen to me. I'm usually quick with the whit, but when something this stupid comes out of someones mouth who is being 100% serious, I never know how to respond. :dunno::laugh:

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    My cousin went to wal mart to buy a 12 gauge 870 for possums that he was having problems with. After the finds the one he wants the guy behind the counter goes to the back to get the gun, opens the box and gets the info from the gun. Paid for a 12 gauge, paper says 12 gauge. My cousin gets home and puts a 12 gauge shell in and it won’t fit. He looks at the side of the barrel and it says 20 gauge. To make a long story short he talked to countless people and finally got to a person that must have had power and knowledge of guns and told him to go back and go to the customer service and tell them your name and everything will be taken care of. The next day he does just as the guy said and when he got there he had a brand new 12 gauge 870 waiting on him. Funny thing is that Wal-Mart has a NO RETURN POLICY on any guns or ammo so they gave him the 12 gauge and let him keep the 20 gauge. How come I never get lucky enough to get a 2 for 1 deal on a gun?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Wow, reading some of the coments in this thread, it's almost like we should come up with some guidlines, or maybe some rules for gun safety..... Maybe like 3.... no wait.... 4, yeah 4 guidelines for gun safety.... wait no we should call them the 4 RULES of gun safety. Then we could use that as a basis of all beginer gun education... Maybe if we could get all the gun owners - sellers - shop employees on board with these "rules", we could then start teaching the general public about them as well.

Geeesh, even my 5 year old knows the four rules of gun safety, AND follows them.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Ya, I understand but that wouldn't stop me from buying the gun I wouldn't think anything of it. It wasn't like he meant anything by it.

IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

:rolleyes:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

:rolleyes:

what is the relevence of this?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    After picking out the beta fish, she goes to pay for it in the line with the fish in the little baggie... The wal-mart cashier tells my friend that she shouldn't put the fish in a shopping bag because it won't be able to breathe. :facepalm:
    OK? Beta fish DO breathe air. So the baggie should have had an ample supply before being tied off. If this is what you are referring to then she was right. And putting it into a plastic shopping bag can take away their air supply if there is not enough room to to get to the air.

To the OP, you are right. The employee should have basic skills in handling a gun but I would not expect superior firearms knowledge. Its not a gun or sporting goods store, after all. If you choose to buy there, then just calmly explain to him to point it upward next time. By all means inform the manager. Be proactive and e-mail corporate to inform them how much you appreciate them selling and being another avenue to entertain your 2A addiction. Nothing wrong with teaching people. But, if you rant and bash then ultimately they will not sell guns. Period.

Pointing a gun at somebody in the IC I feel has been taken out of context. The OP was drawn on or aimed at. Swept by a novice. I do not complain when a gun in the case at a GUN STORE is brought out for me to see. It's already pointing at you and once they touch it then they have pointed at you but no one complains about that.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Given that the employee only makes minimum wage working at Walmart should not be an excuse but if you are working with guns it should be taught if not second nature to clear/check for the weapon being loaded or not and then NOT pointing the firearm at a potential customer whether knowing it is loaded or not..... I know for a fact that when I was working at Albro's in beech grove that if I would have even accidentally pointed a weapon at a customer I would have been fired on the spot or offered a job at Don's

My point is that if your going to work with firearms regardless of wage you should at least know not to point a firearm at someone..... Just like the baggers should know not to put my f*&^in chicken in the same bag as cleaners....

:ranton:

Top Bottom